Who will be Miss Softball this year?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who else recruited Sears?

I know that all the instate schools did: UK, UL, WKU, etc as well as all the smaller schools. As far as out of state schools, I really am not sure who all she was recruited, contacted or offered by. I don't think Abby and her family wanted her to be out of state and never seriously considered any out of state school. Her younger sister plays at North Laurel middle, and had no interest in larger schools. Sometimes kids just like the smaller college atmosphere. I have a relative who turned down a scholarship offer from Louisville (in a different sport) and opted for an offer from a smaller school years ago. I know of other kids who have done this as well more recently in other sports as well. If they have the choice, I respect their right to make it and don't think it has any bearing on awards they recieve while in high school. I actually thought that she would pick Georgetown, but I was wrong on that one.

I know the teams in WV & VA they played are fairly weak. The team from Indiana is not too bad. They have played a few very good KY teams. However in the month of May, their schedule really got weak. The last really good team that can compete for a state title was when they played was Grayson County (lost 1-0 in a very exciting extra inning game in the 5 Star Prep Classic tournament semifinals) on April 26th. They have played and lost to 3 of the top 10 teams (Scott Co, Grayson Co, and Manual). How many top 25 wins does Ryle have? What hurts Allen the most is that against the good teams, she doesn't have much offensive support like she had 2 years ago when Ryle won state and even last year when they were runner up. As great as she is (and she is GREAT), she cannot do it all.

No it is not the easiest schedule in the state. There are a TON of teams that played MUCH easier schedules (and they aren't playing anymore right now either). However, Ryle's schedule, when compared to O-Cath, North Laurel, Greenwood, etc doesn't match up, especially down the stretch.

Like I said I could care less who wins but you just said she couldn't do it all.That's correct,if she doesn't get any offense that's not her fault.If NL has more quality wins because of their ability to score more runs than Ryle,that has nothing to do with an individual award.

Like I said I could care less who wins but you just said she couldn't do it all.That's correct,if she doesn't get any offense that's not her fault.If NL has more quality wins because of their ability to score more runs than Ryle,that has nothing to do with an individual award.

I agree. However, running up big numbers against the weaker competition doesn't help the case either. Sears shut out Scott County in a 1-0 win for North Laurel with very little offensive help (they hit lazy popups the entire game). Ryle & Allen lost to Scott County 6-0 (I think only 3 of the runs given up were actually Allen's from what I am told and I believe that as scoring 6 runs on her in one game would be an amazing feat I would have to see to believe); NL beat Apollo 9-1 (Cobb pitched for North), Allen & Ryle beat Apollo 5-0 in a very solid performance & she was very impressive; Sears struck out 14 in a shutout win over #11 Anderson County, in 2 games against South Laurel (as high as #13 this season), Sears struck out 24 and gave up 2 hits in the 2 shutouts COMBINED, Sears shutout St Benedict (ranked TN team from Memphis), Sears struck out 13 in the win over #9 Grayson Co, she shut out Morristown East (ranked in TN) and had 11 Ks, Sears shut out #19 Christian Academy of L'ville in the 3 innings she pitched, etc.

Also, just because a team is from a strong area doesn't mean they are a strong team (Sacred Heart was 12-16 and Assumption was 16-15).

Here are the top 25 teams (now) that North Laurel has beaten: Grayson County, Greenwood, Scott County Dunbar, Heath, Anderson County, Christian Academy of Louisville, Heath, plus others who were ranked at the time North played them. I know that I have missed a few as the total was 11 KY ranked team victories this season. Plus ranked teams from TN. They lost the #7 team in California, but CA ball is WAY ahead of KY right now.

In short, North Laurel hasn't just won because of the runs they can score. They have proven that they can win the close games as well.

Ryle has only played 4 games against Top 25 competition in the state of Kentucky, losing

3 of those games where Allen gave up one run in two of those games. How can a coach play such a weak schedule coming off back to back years of a State Championship, State Runner-up, and University Of Oklahoma signee Kirsten Allen returning on the mound? Miss Softball should be based on what a player has done in her Sr. year because it is reserved for that year. If Kirsten Allen does not win Miss Softball after being 3A Player of the year in 2007 and Ky Gatorade Player of the Year in 2007 then in my opinion she can thank her coaches for putting together such a weak schedule or worrying too much about records. Kirsten Allen is obviously a GREAT talent for in the state of KY she has the distinction of being the pitcher that has signed with the highest ranked Division I team ever. Tough call for Miss Softball for when Allen does pitch against the best she shuts them down the problem is she hasn't done it as often as the

other players who have to compete day in and day out against tough competition.

Ryle has only played 4 games against Top 25 competition in the state of Kentucky, losing

3 of those games where Allen gave up one run in two of those games. How can a coach play such a weak schedule coming off back to back years of a State Championship, State Runner-up, and University Of Oklahoma signee Kirsten Allen returning on the mound? Miss Softball should be based on what a player has done in her Sr. year because it is reserved for that year. If Kirsten Allen does not win Miss Softball after being 3A Player of the year in 2007 and Ky Gatorade Player of the Year in 2007 then in my opinion she can thank her coaches for putting together such a weak schedule or worrying too much about records. Kirsten Allen is obviously a GREAT talent for in the state of KY she has the distinction of being the pitcher that has signed with the highest ranked Division I team ever. Tough call for Miss Softball for when Allen does pitch against the best she shuts them down the problem is she hasn't done it as often as the other players who have to compete day in and day out against tough competition.

Excellent points. Like I said before, I have seen her pitch, and I truly believe that she would be up the challenge. She is a GREAT pitcher who gives her team a chance to win most every game. That is all you can ask of a pitcher. And she is a good hitter. If I were picking an All Star team from KY to play other states, .... I would have to have her on my team without a doubt!!!

3 of those games where Allen gave up one run in two of those games. How can a coach play such a weak schedule coming off back to back years of a State Championship, State Runner-up, and University Of Oklahoma signee Kirsten Allen returning on the mound? Miss Softball should be based on what a player has done in her Sr. year because it is reserved for that year. If Kirsten Allen does not win Miss Softball after being 3A Player of the year in 2007 and Ky Gatorade Player of the Year in 2007 then in my opinion she can thank her coaches for putting together such a weak schedule or worrying too much about records. Kirsten Allen is obviously a GREAT talent for in the state of KY she has the distinction of being the pitcher that has signed with the highest ranked Division I team ever. Tough call for Miss Softball for when Allen does pitch against the best she shuts them down the problem is she hasn't done it as often as the

other players who have to compete day in and day out against tough competition.

Very well said.

I disagree with the above posts in regards to the schedule. The Raider schedule wasn't as weak as everyone is saying on here. Ryle won the Grand Strand Tourney to start the season in SC and beat some pretty good competition. Allen did not allow a run in 5 games. They beat a really good East Central Indiana team 1-0. East Central plays tomorrow night in the Indiana final four. Lost to Manual and Grayson 1-0. I do not believe those runs were earned. Beat Christian Academy 2-0. Allen is dominant in those games but she gives all the credit to her teammates. She also leads the team in avg .462, hits, extra base hits, HR, RBI's etc. I am sure the Sears kid is a great player and worthy of POY. Let's see how the players do under the bright lights of the state tourney where the Raiders have a state championship and runner up trophy the last two years before we make the final call on this award. It should be a great tourney.

She signed with Union. Had numerous other offers, but it was the closest to home and she didn't want to go very far from family and friends. Also liked the small college atmosphere coming from a small town and the young new energetic coach at Union. The Bulldogs got a steal in Sears.

I totally agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!And my vote would without hesitation go to Sears

I disagree with the above posts in regards to the schedule. The Raider schedule wasn't as weak as everyone is saying on here. Ryle won the Grand Strand Tourney to start the season in SC and beat some pretty good competition. Allen did not allow a run in 5 games. They beat a really good East Central Indiana team 1-0. East Central plays tomorrow night in the Indiana final four. Lost to Manual and Grayson 1-0. I do not believe those runs were earned. Beat Christian Academy 2-0. Allen is dominant in those games but she gives all the credit to her teammates. She also leads the team in avg .462, hits, extra base hits, HR, RBI's etc. I am sure the Sears kid is a great player and worthy of POY. Let's see how the players do under the bright lights of the state tourney where the Raiders have a state championship and runner up trophy the last two years before we make the final call on this award. It should be a great tourney.

I agree that is should be a great tourney! It better be based on what I will be paying to get in! :D

The East Central Indiana team is pretty good. The teams from WV are weak. I have seen them before and WV is way behind KY in softball.

I have seen them both play and look forward to all the candidates shining bright in what should be a great tournament!!! I also look forward to seeing Clark and Riley who I haven't been able to watch this season. They HAVE to be in the hunt for this as well! A lot of great players beyond these. I think we could see some emerging stars in this tournament that we may not know much about, but will after it is over!

I agree that is should be a great tourney! It better be based on what I will be paying to get in! :D

The East Central Indiana team is pretty good. The teams from WV are weak. I have seen them before and WV is way behind KY in softball.

I have seen them both play and look forward to all the candidates shining bright in what should be a great tournament!!! I also look forward to seeing Clark and Riley who I haven't been able to watch this season. They HAVE to be in the hunt for this as well! A lot of great players beyond these. I think we could see some emerging stars in this tournament that we may not know much about, but will after it is over!

What are you basing this on? Have you seen them play?

He has saw every team in Ky and surrounding states play.The Indiana team is in the final four of their state tournament so I would say they are more than pretty good.:laugh:

If you read Mountainthunder's post he says that they (IN team) are a good team. He was talking about the WV teams not being so good.

He has saw every team in Ky and surrounding states play.The Indiana team is in the final four of their state tournament so I would say they are more than pretty good.:laugh:

No I haven't, however, with a little research, it is amazing what you can find out.

In regards to the WV teams I referenced, I lived in WV for several years and have some knowledge of the state of softball in WV and a few of the programs. I based my opinion of the Indiana team from their appearance in the state final 4 as I have not seen them play. I won't give my opinion on players/teams I know nothing of. Many have commented on here about players/teams they know nothing about. You will find that this is not the way I operate. And if you will read my posts on this thread, you will plainly see that I have mentioned the players I have not seen who are in the running and stated that I couldn't comment on them not having seen them play.

If you say that one player is better than another, I believe you should actually have seen them play or have some frame of reference, not just a blind opinion.

Edited by MountainThunder