Cov Cath 7 Beechwood 6

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CovCath 7 Beechwood 3, or how Theoldguy was wrong and glad of it....

I stated in another thread that the team with the least amount of physical and mental errors would win this game, but I was dead wrong. CovCath committed by my count, four errors which accounted for three of the six Beechwood runs, and still won the game.

Before I get to my good, bad, pitching and hitting stats, I have to make a mention of the Home Plate umpire #11. I will not comment on his balls and strikes calling, nor on his (IMO) blown call at the plate, but to announce and to signal a wrong count, and then to follow it up later by giving the wrong amount of outs, is inexcusable by a man in blue in such a close and important game. I can live with a umpire and his strike zone and I can live with making bad (IMO) calls in the game, but to blow a balls and strikes count, and to then a inning or two later give the wrong amount of outs to the players, is just plain bad. Sorry, but neither teams deserves this, and luckily neither mistake by #11 in Blue affected the play of the game.

After I eat I will post more....

CovCath 7 Beechwood 3, or how Theoldguy was wrong and glad of it....

I stated in another thread that the team with the least amount of physical and mental errors would win this game, but I was dead wrong. CovCath committed by my count, four errors which accounted for three of the six Beechwood runs, and still won the game.

Before I get to my good, bad, pitching and hitting stats, I have to make a mention of the Home Plate umpire #11. I will not comment on his balls and strikes calling, nor on his (IMO) blown call at the plate, but to announce and to signal a wrong count, and then to follow it up later by giving the wrong amount of outs, is inexcusable by a man in blue in such a close and important game. I can live with a umpire and his strike zone and I can live with making bad (IMO) calls in the game, but to blow a balls and strikes count, and to then a inning or two later give the wrong amount of outs to the players, is just plain bad. Sorry, but neither teams deserves this, and luckily neither mistake by #11 in Blue affected the play of the game.

After I eat I will post more....

I will. He was horrible..he didn't know the count...then tries to call timeout in the middle of the play when Miller was trying to throw the kid out at second. His strike/balls were so inconsistent from inning to inning. That was very irritating, I am just glad he didn't decide the game.

I will. He was horrible..he didn't know the count...then tries to call timeout in the middle of the play when Miller was trying to throw the kid out at second. His strike/balls were so inconsistent from inning to inning. That was very irritating, I am just glad he didn't decide the game.

He had no choice but to call that time out. He clearly signaled a 3-2 count and even announced it loud enough that I heard it from my spot from behind the plate. I mentioned to a friend in the stands telling him that I had the count as 2-2 and saying how did I miss a pitch when he called out the count.

I will tell you that I expressed my displeasure about this man in blue to the assigning secretary at the game and as I stated not about the balls and strike or the calls in general, but messing up a count and outs, well......:irked::irked::irked:

He had no choice but to call that time out. He clearly signaled a 3-2 count and even announced it loud enough that I heard it from my spot from behind the plate. I mentioned to a friend in the stands telling him that I had the count as 2-2 and saying how did I miss a pitch when he called out the count.

I will tell you that I expressed my displeasure about this man in blue to the assigning secretary at the game and as I stated not about the balls and strike or the calls in general, but messing up a count and outs, well......:irked::irked::irked:

We talked about that very same thing. I told the people I was with that he only had 2 balls on him. That would have caused a mess had they thrown the runner out at 2nd.

:thumb: He really didn't drop it, he bobbled it. Defiantly not a blown call.

At the same time, the runner never made it to the plate. He picked it up and tagged the runner as he was lying infront of the plate. He NEVER got to home.

Umpire question in this game. Bases loaded, fly ball to center, who has the tag? I really thought the runner left way too soon.

The plate umpire was off the map w/balls and strikes. His strike zone changed every inning. I felt sorry for the pitchers.

BB killed BHS. 5 of the seven runs that scored walked to get on base w/one of those an intentional walk. Maile walked 3 times and scored all three times.

Oh well, off to the region. At least the teams go opposite directions and I wouldn't be too surprised to see a rematch for the regional championship.

The play at the plate, the runner was safe as Maile did bobble the ball and the runner was clearly on the plate. If Miller holds onto the ball, the CCH kid is out at the plate by 2 feet as he did not reach the plate.

The CovCath good:

Winning a game when you give up so many unearned runs is a outstanding thing to happen, and to have Nutini maintain his composure during all of it says a lot about the maturity of this young pitcher. He had every right to get upset, but to his credit he kept his cool....

Brandon LaFever getting a bunt base hit and 1 bunt sac and a RBI SF was huge today.

Ryan Darner he makes a couple of errors, but keeps his head straight at the plate and goes 2/3 double with 2 RBI's....

Zach Isler not only comes in to pitch and gets the final three outs in the top of the seventh, but drives in two huge runs in the bottom of the sixth to extend the CovCath lead to three, which they.

Danny Niehaus, the lone CovCath Senior who saw action today got a huge double in the fourth inning to drive in a run.

The CovCath bad:

The fielding, and playing smart baseball has to improve, or this season will end far too soon. Errors happen, but....you just can't keep giving these better teams additional outs. It will sooner than later come back to bite you in the butt....

CovCath Pitching:

Brandon Nutini

83 pitches 6 complete innings 29 AB 8 hits 1 walk 1 K 6 runs 3 earned runs

Zach Isler

19 pitches 1 complete inning 4 AB 1 hit 0 walks 2 K 0 runs 0 earned runs

CovCath Hitting stats to come

Edited by Theoldguy

Umpire question in this game. Bases loaded, fly ball to center, who has the tag? I really thought the runner left way too soon.

The plate umpire was off the map w/balls and strikes. His strike zone changed every inning. I felt sorry for the pitchers.

BB killed BHS. 5 of the seven runs that scored walked to get on base w/one of those an intentional walk. Maile walked 3 times and scored all three times.

Oh well, off to the region. At least the teams go opposite directions and I wouldn't be too surprised to see a rematch for the regional championship.

The play at the plate, the runner was safe as Maile did bobble the ball and the runner was clearly on the plate. If Miller holds onto the ball, the CCH kid is out at the plate by 2 feet as he did not reach the plate.

UNC-5 sorry but from my seat from behind the plate, the "B" kid didn't reach the plate and Maile walked four times today two without a pitch thrown to him. 1st inning on a 3-2 count, 3rd inning on a 3-2 count, and in the 4th and 6th was intentionally just told to walk on over to first base without at pitch thrown to him.

In this 35th District Tournament Maile went 3 for 3 with two doubles, he scored 5 runs, had 3 RBI's, stole 2 bases, was walked 5 times 2 of them being intentional and yet he doesn't make the all tournament team! Go figurer?

I will agree with you that the CovCath runner should have been out and I really think the man in blue would have called him out, if not for the ball dribbling out from behind the catcher a couple of feet.

UNC-5, see you at Champion Window and I too think it will be Beechwood and CovCath in the finals.

CovCath Hitters;

0 AB 4 walks and 3 runs scored Maile

2 AB 1 hit 1 sac 1 sf 1 run scored and 1 rbi Lafever

3 AB 2 hits double 1 walk and 2 rbi's Darner

3 AB 1 hit 1 walk and 2 rbi's Isler

3 AB 1 hit 1 sac and 1 sb Nutini

2 AB 1 hit 1 walk and 2 runs scored Holocher

2 AB 1 hit 1 walk 1 run scored and 1 rbi Niehaus

2 AB 1 sac Klein

UNC-5 sorry but from my seat from behind the plate, the "B" kid didn't reach the plate and Maile walked four times today two without a pitch thrown to him. 1st inning on a 3-2 count, 3rd inning on a 3-2 count, and in the 4th and 6th was intentionally just told to walk on over to first base without at pitch thrown to him.

In this 35th District Tournament Maile went 3 for 3 with two doubles, he scored 5 runs, had 3 RBI's, stole 2 bases, was walked 5 times 2 of them being intentional and yet he doesn't make the all tournament team! Go figurer?

I will agree with you that the CovCath runner should have been out and I really think the man in blue would have called him out, if not for the ball dribbling out from behind the catcher a couple of feet.

UNC-5, see you at Champion Window and I too think it will be Beechwood and CovCath in the finals.

Who made it over him?

We will agree to disagree but my seat was much better than yours. Your'e right, Maile did walk 4 times, 2 intentional but those were no brainer's as he came up twice in crucial times w/first base open. I didn't stay around for the all tourney team, after my two cents for the BHS gang I left. So who did make it from CCH? The #3 batter had a good day at the plate.