Cov Cath 7 Beechwood 6

From where we were standing, ( right in line with third base ) both those pop ups should have been played by the SS. The first landed about 40 feet, the second about 25 feet beyond the cut of the infield and were in the air six or seven seconds....plenty of time to run past the ball and surround it.

If you can't cover 15 yards in six seconds, you shouldn't be in the middle infield.

The left fielder could have helped himself out by comming in a few steps for left handed hitters.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cmon TOG

You know what the problem is. There is definitely an alumni issue that is in the way. I was not aware the enrollment was that low but I guess this is the reason that they never went back to the GCL. Sorry about the enrollment and I am not too big to say that. It would be nice to see Cov Cath, New Cath, Purcell Marian and Roger Bacon in a different GCL.

Names that come to mind are Bondick and Grimes who played freshman year.

If either of you would like to discuss more on this subject, PM me because I am very close to these situations.

So now when you read my post, maybe you will believe that I don't always give the CovCath players the benefit of the doubt. As I stated, I though from my angle he caught the ball, then dropped it. If UNC-5 tells me he didn't touch it, (he had I know, a much better angle to see the play) then I will agree with him, and that makes it a base hit and not a error.

So now all the talk of the "problem fielder" for CovCath can be put to rest, he didn't commit an error in the Beechwood game! Personally the young man has been playing some very good baseball as of late and IMO cares more about playing the game and helping out his team, than anyone on this CovCath team. The kid loves playing the game of baseball, and he works his butt off to make himself a better player daily, and just not during the baseball season. Prior to a CovCath Saturday afternoon football game (September 1st against NCC), I saw him totally soaked with sweat from working out, when he saw me, he yelled out HI, and I inquired what in the heck was he doing? He looked puzzled and replied, getting ready for the start of the baseball season.... That comment stuck in my head, and it showed me his commitment to the game and his team.

From where we were standing, ( right in line with third base ) both those pop ups should have been played by the SS. The first landed about 40 feet, the second about 25 feet beyond the cut of the infield and were in the air six or seven seconds....plenty of time to run past the ball and surround it.

If you can't cover 15 yards in six seconds, you shouldn't be in the middle infield.

The left fielder could have helped himself out by comming in a few steps for left handed hitters.

WOW, you two are very tough. Both fly's in question would have easily been scored a HIT in MLB. Being an ex-SS, I might have got to both but the LF obviously has the easier play coming in for the ball. For a SS to turn and go backwards, find the ball and make the play, not easy. BHS's book both were scored HITS. The 7th inning fly was not touched.

DD-You make this play sound easy for the SS, what about a fly straight up around the catcher? They don't have to go more than 10 yds away usually. I guess all those are routine plays. More times than not in HS, they never catch the ball.

How about this one for all you experts? I think BHS had runners on 1st/2nd on the first fly ball, if so, why wasn't an infield fly called? This is a judgement call but if CCH's SS never turned his back on the ball, an infield fly should have been called and same w/the second fly ball hit. I was involved w/this incident once in my career where I back pedaled 1/2 way into center field and the ump called "infield fly", this was a college game. The other teams coach got thrown out of this one, go figure he was mad.:fight:

I disagree on the infield fly .They both should of been caught by the LF.No way it was near the infield .one of the balls was definitely touch ,can't remember which now .Still was not an error as I said earlier .The first one he back pedaled then seemed to lose it for a second .

I thought several balls were misjudged by OF on both teams .It seemed balls to left and center were more difficult than to right .

Catchers are taught to go to the backstop, turn and come back in to make the catch with the ball comming to them, not away IF THERE IS TIME.

Shortstops are trained to do the same thing, turn and run back on an angle then find the ball, circle it and make the play with the ball comming in.

Holecur (sp) got a late break and tried to make the catch as a football pass.

If he breaks right away he would have made the play.

Catchers are taught to go to the backstop, turn and come back in to make the catch with the ball comming to them, not away IF THERE IS TIME.

Shortstops are trained to do the same thing, turn and run back on an angle then find the ball, circle it and make the play with the ball comming in.

Holecur (sp) got a late break and tried to make the catch as a football pass.

If he breaks right away he would have made the play.

H-o-l-o-c-h-e-r. That's 5 times thus far DD. :sssh:

I disagree on the infield fly .They both should of been caught by the LF.No way it was near the infield .one of the balls was definitely touch ,can't remember which now .Still was not an error as I said earlier .The first one he back pedaled then seemed to lose it for a second .

I thought several balls were misjudged by OF on both teams .It seemed balls to left and center were more difficult than to right .

Coachg, you can disagree all you want as I said it would have been a judgement call but could have been called according to the rule.

Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/infield_fly_rule

I agree w/some other misjudged fly balls. I thought Elliott got fooled on a couple.

Dont you think the kid feels bad enough without everyone on BGP saying his name. Moderator, you should consider closing this thread as it is becoming fiber thin.

If a kid can't handle someone saying his name on BGP, then I don't know how he could pitch in a game that big.