St. Henry Head Coach Resigned today...

I've seen Coburn coach many times and my main concern is that he is in way over his head. This will be "on the job training" for him due to his lack of experience. IMO, everyone will need to be patient (girls, parents, administration, etc.) with him while he learns how to be a varsity coach and what it takes to coach at this level. Hopefully, he will get them in the gym after the "dead period" and get them some scrimmage games. This program will be interesting to watch over the next couple of years. Hopefully, they will be moving in the right direction.

He is in no way in over his head. What he lacks in terms of experience starting out, he will more than make up for with passion and preparation.

With Fall sports practices starting up 1 week after the dead period, he is at a real disadvantage. Between Golf, Soccer & Volleyball there can't be more than 1 or 2 girls who don't play a Fall sport. I don't think scrimmages would do much good because it seems to me he wouldn't have enough time to install

any offense or defense.

I think they are heading in the right direction. They did what was in the best interest of the Girls basketball program, not what was in the best interest of the Administration. I think it speaks volumes that the Administration was willing to hire a non teacher. I think someday he will be teaching there, but it doesn't look like it will be this year.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[/b]

He is in no way in over his head. What he lacks in terms of experience starting out, he will more than make up for with passion and preparation.

With Fall sports practices starting up 1 week after the dead period, he is at a real disadvantage. Between Golf, Soccer & Volleyball there can't be more than 1 or 2 girls who don't play a Fall sport. I don't think scrimmages would do much good because it seems to me he wouldn't have enough time to install

any offense or defense.

I think they are heading in the right direction. They did what was in the best interest of the Girls basketball program, not what was in the best interest of the Administration. I think it speaks volumes that the Administration was willing to hire a non teacher. I think someday he will be teaching there, but it doesn't look like it will be this year.

Remember, bball don't get officially started until Oct 15 so he really couldn't get a good feel of what he has until then unless he is that good to tell from watching them condition:banana:

Anybody other than Turner is a great get, just get on with it. Let's schedule Cooper to get a quick "W."

Cooper doesn't have a gym yet and may not have enough player's to field 3 teams. They went into summer camps loaded with 6th & 7th graders. One NKY team unnecessarily beat them by 70+ pts at Thomas Moore. Calling out an upstart program for the "W" is not much of a stretch.

Some SH parents are obviously happy Turner is gone, but I'm guessing the feeling is probably mutual (parent-wise). Cooper was an all-around great move for Turner for several reasons and not having to deal with "unrealistic" expectations by parents is definitely one of them.

Cooper doesn't have a gym yet and may not have enough player's to field 3 teams. They went into summer camps loaded with 6th & 7th graders. One NKY team unnecessarily beat them by 70+ pts at Thomas Moore. Calling out an upstart program for the "W" is not much of a stretch.

Some SH parents are obviously happy Turner is gone, but I'm guessing the feeling is probably mutual (parent-wise). Cooper was an all-around great move for Turner for several reasons and not having to deal with "unrealistic" expectations by parents is definitely one of them.

Gee, you mean that happens other places too. As one poster said on another blog, "Coaching at an orphanage is the best job." Good luck. It won't take long for a school that big to become a force.

Cooper was an all-around great move for Turner for several reasons and not having to deal with "unrealistic" expectations by parents is definitely one of them.

What were the "unrealistic" expectations that you speak of?

The unrealistic expectations were for a coach to pick up where Hans left off...face it, "ANY" coach was going to feel the pain because even though the heart was there the "experienced" talent just wasn't. Also, with the rise of Ryle & Conner, the 33rd district has probably been tougher than ever...A bad time for "ANY" new coach to be rebuilding a program.

Turner brought up and developed some nice young player's and SH is moving to a new district (historically not as tough)...she took the grief & lumps over the past 2yrs and the program & new coach are going to reap the rewards.