Little League Player Benched Because Mother Failed to Work Concession Stand

LRCW

They could have told the mother that her child wouldn't be allowed to play in any future games until she worked a shift, but I don't see any sense in making the kid sit the whole time if he was already there. If I was the parent that volunteered to work an extra shift I would have done it with the stipulation that the kid got to play in his ballgame. The one question I have is, how did the kid get to the game? Why didn't the person who brought him work the concession stand so he could play?

Well they need to play by the rules. All kids must play.

But isn't it also a rule that a parent must work concession stand in order for their kids to play? So which rules do they follow? :fire:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

But isn't it also a rule that a parent must work concession stand in order for their kids to play? So which rules do they follow? :fire:

That sounds like a rule the local league made up. That's not a Little League rule.

When did working in the concession stand become a Little League requirement? I coached in Little League for 10 years in Ashland, and it never was a requirement.

It is at the youth league in Hopkinsville. Here's the deal. I'm a mom, this is what I would have done. I would have sat my kid down and explained, in age appropriate language, what happened. I would say "look Junior, Mommy made a mistake. I was supposed to work selling slushies and hot dogs, but I didn't make it. So the rules say you have to miss one game. I know that stinks and I'm really sorry that I did that. I promise that I will try and keep this from ever happening again. Just like if you break the rules at school you get punished, well this is our punishment. Mommies can make mistakes just like kids can. Now we are going to go to the game and you can sit in the dug out and lead the cheers for your team."

Somehow I think this 7 year old would have forgiven his mother and learned a valuable lesson. That rules are rules and even mommies can be held accountable for their actions. How do we teach our children to take responsibility if we won't take it ourselves?

Could be, but like I stated above Little League rules state that all kids must play at least two innings. I hope somone reports this league. As a matter of fact, I might just forward the story to Little League headquarters myself.

Well, first off, it sounds like the woman has or will do that herself. It's already a public news item.

Secondly, why would you want to do something like that without having any idea what all the facts are in this story? I'm sure whoever runs LL in that area is a decent person committed to helping little children play baseball. They must have done what they felt was right - even if there may have been a better remedy available to them. Why then would you want to see an entire league - and a whole bunch of little boys - punished over this? Think this one through a little more, please, before you do something like that.

Well, first off, it sounds like the woman has or will do that herself. It's already a public news item.

Secondly, why would you want to do something like that without having any idea what all the facts are in this story? I'm sure whoever runs LL in that area is a decent person committed to helping little children play baseball. They must have done what they felt was right - even if there may have been another remedy available to him. Why then would you want to see an entire league - and a whole bunch of little boys - punished over this? Think this one through a little more, please.

If they were committed to helpiong little children play baseball he/she would come up with an alternate plan rather than making kids sit.

But who is humiliating the child now? The mother! She is the one making the stink and publicizing it. Kids sit out games ALL THE TIME and nobody pays any attention whatsoever. I seriously doubt the LL president paraded the kid in his uniform around the park and announced he was not allowed to play.
You think the kids on his team wouldn't know what's going on? You don't think this was a terrible embarrassment for him. All of the adults involved are equally responsible.

That sounds like a rule the local league made up. That's not a Little League rule.

And even if so, do they not have the right to do that? How does any organization like LL exist without volunteers? I was Treasurer of LL in NKY a few years ago. Trust me, getting people to volunteer their time is like pulling teeth. If they had to institute some type of rule to ensure they would have sufficient "volunteers", then so be it.

No accountability, plain and simple. It is what it is. For the record, I feel sorry for the kid. I'd have hated to have been the manager of that team and told him that he wasn't playing. Mommy was held accountable, Johnny paid the price.
Exactly! She should be paying, not the boy.

If they were committed to helpiong little children play baseball he/she would come up with an alternate plan rather than making kids sit.

Maybe this is the alternative plan. Maybe this was the plan they came up with to ensure the concession stand didn't have to close down for games because selfish parents refused to volunteer their time.

All kids are supposed to play. As a matter of fact I know this is a Little League rule. If someone were to report this league to Little League headquarters I'm willing to bet that they would be in danger of losing their Little League license.

I thought that rule was only for the first couple of years.

And even if so, do they not have the right to do that? How does any organization like LL exist without volunteers? I was Treasurer of LL in NKY a few years ago. Trust me, getting people to volunteer their time is like pulling teeth. If they had to institute some type of rule to ensure they would have sufficient "volunteers", then so be it.

Little League doesn't exist without volunteers, you are exactly right. I believe it quits becoming volunteers when you force someone to work. That doesn't sound like a volunteer to me. And no they don't have the right to keep a kid from playing. Little League rules state so.

When did working in the concession stand become a Little League requirement? I coached in Little League for 10 years in Ashland, and it never was a requirement.
That's what I was wondering! I had two brothers that played little league and our parents were never even asked to run a concession stand. I think volunteering ceases to be volunteering when it becomes a forced requirement.

C'mon,,,,,,the only revenue to even run the league where we're involved is generated by the concession stand. The fees charged at the beginning of the year barely cover the LL charter. What alternate plan do you propose? In the Ashland American LL for instance (where the best pitcher in MLB B.Webb hails from) no concession stand $, no lights on the field, no water or lights in the restroom. So what exactly do you propose?

Yes, that is definitely the answer. Report it to LL HQ so that the area loses their charter and it impacts a whole bunch of little kids and parents.

As everyone has stated before RULES ARE RULES!:thumb: