Whats the best tourney the sweet 16 or 11th

7th is hard to beat in sweet 16, had three teams win Sweet 16 since 97 and have had three others lose in the finals. I am not sure if you can say that for any other region it would take so research. It was fight to get out of the 7th and just get to the state.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sweet 16 is awfully hard to beat. To win that, you have to play ALL of the best teams in the state, and if you do happen to win it its way more prestigious than just winning a regional tournament. 7th OR 11th.

No you don't. Only one team makes it out of each region. Also you could be like Mason Co. with all the power house regions on one side of the bracket. They will most likely only play one team in the top 10 and that will be in the finals. This is if they make it to the finals.

7th is hard to beat in sweet 16, had three teams win Sweet 16 since 97 and have had three others lose in the finals. I am not sure if you can say that for any other region it would take so research. It was fight to get out of the 7th and just get to the state.

Scott Co., Lex Cath, Lafayette have won state in the same period as 11th region teams. Catholic was the only one to be in the Championship game and not win. The stat I find interesting, 5 teams have represented the two districts in that same time. I believe its been multiple times even that each of the 5 11th region teams have been there. 11th leads 3-1 in head to head in the state tourny. The two regions have a lot of similarities between them and some good programs at the top.

Scott Co., Lex Cath, Lafayette have won state in the same period as 11th region teams. Catholic was the only one to be in the Championship game and not win. The stat I find interesting, 5 teams have represented the two districts in that same time. I believe its been multiple times even that each of the 5 11th region teams have been there. 11th leads 3-1 in head to head in the state tourny. The two regions have a lot of similarities between them and some good programs at the top.

Great point I have never looked at 11th that close.

Give the rest of the state's field some credit: Paducah Tilghman, UHA, Apollo/Muhlenburg North, Adair County, Covington Catholic/Holmes, Mason County, Corbin/South Laurel, Hazard, Paintsville/Shelby Valley, and Rose Hill have the tradition and experience to knock off anyone on a given night.

Not to mention the fact that plenty of these schools could have the "little guy factor" that really gets the crowd behind them.

The schools named above can compete with any team in the state. Yet, the odds are that plenty of them that would be blown out as well... but that's why they play the game.

Nonetheless, looking at some possibilities for the Sweet 16 field, there's still more overall talent in the Sweet 16 than the 11th or 7th Regionals.

Getting to Rupp requires winning three consecutive games, two of which are most likely intense. Getting to the regional tournament requires winning one game against a school you have most likely played already.

How would schools like Atherton and Model (in the 7th & 11th regional tourney fields in 2008) stack up against the 4 teams ranked lowest in recent state fields? The 7th & 11th are loaded... but not to the extent that they can just show up and win without maximum effort. ;)

Considering that you have to win 4 games to win the Sweet 16 and 3 games to win the 11th, I'd have to say that the Sweet 16 is more of a challenge than your 11th. :sleep:

I agree about having to win 4 games instead of just 3 in the region, but when you're playing a team from the 16th Region in the State Tournament, it's like getting a bye.

11th Region hands down.:D