Whats the best tourney the sweet 16 or 11th

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I think winning in Rupp and going home with a state championship would be much sweeter than winning a region tournament--11th, 7th, or any other. No doubt, both regions have a lot of talent -- they both have a lot of talent to draw from (population wise). Nevertheless, I enjoy region tournaments more due to the environment--more intimate and the rivalries.

I'll go with the Sweet Sixteen. The first round of it and the 11th will have blowouts but things tighten after that. I'm not sure about the top three 11th teams being among the top five teams in the state. There hasn't been enough interplay with the other 16 regions especially the West. I would be surprised if the 11th region champion wins the Sweet Sixteen. I would say they should be the favorite but beyond that you are getting on thin ice.

Ill go with the 11th region tourney. They have three of the top 4 teams in the state which two of them will not make it to state. There is always atleast three or four blow outs in the first round and some in the second round. In region tournaments the atmosphere is much more intense because all the kids know eachother and live around eachother.

I love the sweet 16 but as far as regions go 7th unreal. I grow up in NKY and loved the old 9th some great games. Living in Lou. for ten years 7th region is the best in the state but something about the sweet 16, but as far as games go in 7th tourney and great games for the whole region again unreal....Sweet 16 does not have that every game.

You have to win 3 games and will avoid one of the big 3 until the finals as well. Only 2 good games in that region tourney. Sweet 16, every game is a good game. I'm with you.

I agree, the Sweet 16 is a good tourney. Not the best 16 teams.

Also, please recognize that every game is not good. Sometimes it is pretty bad until Saturday morning.

Hazard won the Defender of the Station tournament in 2004 which had Scott Co, Pleasure Ridge Park and most of the 11th region schools in it. They got a small third page write up in the Lex. Herald Sports Section. You win the Sweet Sixteen, and your splashed all over the sports section of every newspaper in the state. The Sweet Sixteen is what you paly for all year long.

JUST this year. I would take the 11th & 7th region, throw in Mason Co. and Male for a sweet sixteen. Now, this would be worth paying for because the 11th has 3 teams capable of winning the state tournament. The 7th region may have 2 teams capable of winning the state title. Everyone as far as I can see will be chasing Bryan Station. Sheldon Mack is an amazing talent. UK should have recruited this kid.