Dixie Heights 66 Boone County 53

Don't worry Wildcatfan they can bash all they want about you, I have been pretty close to the program for a while now and even played for Coach McQueary, great guy but not the greatest coach. I would have loved someone to light a fire under our butts when we played like Boone did last night, but when down 20 you see him sitting down relaxing. Like I said coach is a great guy, but I would love to see what these kids would be doing with a coach like coach Listerman who was the best motivator I ever played for.

So now the players need a fire lit under them and need to be motivated to play hard???

IMO thats poor effort on the players part. Getting down by a lot and giving up. That's not the coach's fault.

Covcath, Highlands, Holmes are good teams not because their coaches are good, but because they don't get down on themselves when they're losing. Losing motivates them to turn it up a notch, which is why they're the top 3 teams in nky. Holmes is a prime example, being down double digits to both CCH and Highlands in the fourth quarter and coming back to win.

I think you guys just need to realize that Boone is young. It falls more on Boone's seniors than it does the coach. If the coach isn't doing a good job like you say, why aren't the seniors stepping up? You guys act like the sophomores are the only ones who play and since they had success under another coach, playing at their age level, it's automatically the coach's fault when they aren't winning.

AAU and high school ball are two different worlds.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some valid points. They are young. However, I do still hear complaints, even after wins, although they may not make it to this board. What was the reason for for not getting out of the district last year when Boone had 7 seniors? I hear a lot of things about how good St. Henry, Conner's and others' coaches are good, and you don't want to play against them when it matters. How has Conner gotten to the district final each of the last 4 years with losing records in 3 of them? Coaching has plenty to do with it. How does St. Henry lose 7 seniors and upset Boone this year? Coaching had something to do with it. Coaches are accountable parts of the team too. Some coaches are good and have good results pretty much year after year, despite player changes, others don't.

Players should not have to take the credit or blame completely. The coaches are a big part of any team's equation. I am convinced of my point after watching games for 3 years. I know that parents of younger kids are questioning whether they should bring their kids to Boone.

Boone's freshman team had another outstanding season and won NKY at 25-1. I guess we'll see in a few years whether that makes any difference at the varsity level.

There is a lot of frustration among all Boone fans. I think it's hard to see this if you are a fan of another team. Without big changes, I'm not sure if Boone will do any better than have a decent regular season mark in the foreseeable future.

Boone had 7 seniors last year and was 18-12. (?)

This year Boone is sophomore dominated with only 2 seniors but yet they are playing better and have a much better record? It's a lot easier to coach seniors than it is sophomores who are still immature.

IMO winning 20+ games with a sophomore dominated team speaks to how well the coach is coaching these young men. They have no where near the talent that Holmes had with their super soph class. (Hill, Rice, Edmondson, Jefferson) But yet this Boone team is actually playing better than they did as sophomores. The catalyst for that young Holmes team was SENIORS Lexie Brown and Ryan Mitchell. Look what happened to them as juniors...they self destructed having no senior leadership.

Like I said before, I think senior leadership goes a lot farther than coaching. Coaches can only do so much to motivate a team.

So now the players need a fire lit under them and need to be motivated to play hard???

IMO thats poor effort on the players part. Getting down by a lot and giving up. That's not the coach's fault.

Covcath, Highlands, Holmes are good teams not because their coaches are good, but because they don't get down on themselves when they're losing. Losing motivates them to turn it up a notch, which is why they're the top 3 teams in nky. Holmes is a prime example, being down double digits to both CCH and Highlands in the fourth quarter and coming back to win.

I think you guys just need to realize that Boone is young. It falls more on Boone's seniors than it does the coach. If the coach isn't doing a good job like you say, why aren't the seniors stepping up? You guys act like the sophomores are the only ones who play and since they had success under another coach, playing at their age level, it's automatically the coach's fault when they aren't winning.

Yeah, when Holmes and Cov Cath are losing, Coach Listerman and Coach Henley just sit down and let their players take over.:rolleyes: They are great coaches because they recognize what needs to be done or said in order for their teams to be successful. You are absolutely correct that the players are the ones who play the game and need to motivate one another. However, coaching is about putting your players in the best position to win (mentally and physically) and that is not currently being done at Boone.

Why is it every time Booone loses you immediately point the finger at the coach? Boone is a good team but has it ever occurred to you that maybe they lost because the team they played is better than them? A coach can only do so much.

And how could it not be the player's faults that screens weren't set, etc. Aren't they the ones who have to make the plays, not the coaches? The coaches can draw things up, but if the players don't execute, it's not the coaches fault and can also be attributed to the other team's good defense.

All in all a good win for Dixie. Boone will rebound but will need to play better as Ryle is starting to get hot as is St Henry and Boone has declined.

Boone is without a doubt a better team than Dixie. I'm not blaming the coach but they should have won that game IMO.

Boone is without a doubt a better team than Dixie. I'm not blaming the coach but they should have won that game IMO.

If Boone is better and a more talented team, why didn't their talent prevail? Dixie is a good team. Their record doesn't show it because they have been hampered by the injury bug all year.

Boone had 7 seniors last year and was 18-12. (?)

This year Boone is sophomore dominated with only 2 seniors but yet they are playing better and have a much better record? It's a lot easier to coach seniors than it is sophomores who are still immature.

IMO winning 20+ games with a sophomore dominated team speaks to how well the coach is coaching these young men. They have no where near the talent that Holmes had with their super soph class. (Hill, Rice, Edmondson, Jefferson) But yet this Boone team is actually playing better than they did as sophomores. The catalyst for that young Holmes team was SENIORS Lexie Brown and Ryan Mitchell. Look what happened to them as juniors...they self destructed having no senior leadership.

Like I said before, I think senior leadership goes a lot farther than coaching. Coaches can only do so much to motivate a team.

I don't think you are giving Boone's sophs enough credit. A lot of the reason for their 20 wins is pure talent and knowledge of the game from playing AAU ball for many years. They have been successful on every level, wherever they have been (even without without Euton and Jackson from Rose Hill playing with them). I guess we will see for sure next year when they are juniors... Overall, this class is the one of the most talented to come through Boone in awhile. As freshman some of them were playing as well as Boone's seniors last year. I agree that senior leadership is important. Boone only has 1 senior that starts. One or more of the players needs to step up to the task. There are definitely high expectations with the 2011 and 2010 classes at Boone.

If Boone is better and a more talented team, why didn't their talent prevail? Dixie is a good team. Their record doesn't show it because they have been hampered by the injury bug all year.

Talent does not always prevail over better coaching, especially if they are running a system that does not take advantage of their strengths.

Some players play hard no matter what, and I'm all for rewarding them. When a player isn't playing hard, yank them out and let them know why. That's the thing I'm talking about. There must be consequences for doing wrong things, and the coach has to enforce it. I assure you that there are several kids on Boone who hate to lose and will bust their behinds the entire game, especially if they are afraid they will lose PT if they don't.

I'm not convinced Dixie has more talent than Boone. Boone was pretty sloppy, though. Could've been a major blowout but, for some reason, the choice was made to sit Dixie's big guy for a lot of the game (he was not in foul trouble). This allowed Earls to do the bulk of the scoring. Too bad Rod Snapp doesn't have control.

I don't think you are giving Boone's sophs enough credit. A lot of the reason for their 20 wins is pure talent and knowledge of the game from playing AAU ball for many years. They have been successful on every level, wherever they have been (even without without Euton and Jackson from Rose Hill playing with them). I guess we will see for sure next year when they are juniors... Overall, this class is the one of the most talented to come through Boone in awhile. As freshman some of them were playing as well as Boone's seniors last year. I agree that senior leadership is important. Boone only has 1 senior that starts. One or more of the players needs to step up to the task. There are definitely high expectations with the 2011 and 2010 classes at Boone.

How am I not giving them credit? I said they may not have the same level of talent as that VERY GOOD Holmes class, but they are definetly playing better than them and show more self control. :confused:

Talent does not always prevail over better coaching, especially if they are running a system that does not take advantage of their strengths.

No, talent doesn't always beat out hard work. Holmes lost to Newcath because they got outworked. Same as last night with Boone. They lost because they got outworked by a more experienced team.

I think if the kids are that good then they will adjust to the coaching and their talent will prevail. I dont know if you think they should be winning all of their games or what but they have had a great season thus far. They were my darkhorse at the beginning of the year and still are my surprise team to win it. If they are shooting well and make it to the 9th Region tourney they could win the whole thing but if they do then you cant blame that on the kids you have to blame the coach also.

I do remember you making comments last season about the questionable coaching so I will say your being consistent but not every school can have a Listerman or Faust.

I'm not convinced Dixie has more talent than Boone. Boone was pretty sloppy, though. Could've been a major blowout but, for some reason, the choice was made to sit Dixie's big guy for a lot of the game (he was not in foul trouble). This allowed Earls to do the bulk of the scoring. Too bad Rod Snapp doesn't have control.

I don't know that I would say sloppy unless you mean the lack of executing any plays. They had only 7 assists the entire game and 11 turnovers. 11 turnovers is not that high for a high school game in my opinion. They couldn't get open shots. Very few plays were executed, just 4 guys passing/standing around the perimeter until a guard decided to try to penetrate one-on-one and force something up or passed into Earls on the block. Earls got most of his points when Mace wasn't in. He did not front Mace in the first half, and Mace scored at will on him. Earls mostly took fadeaway jumpers. If he missed, he was often unable to get his own rebound, and teammates weren't in good position to attack the glass.

There was poor man-to-man, positional defense by several players. When you don't move your feet and stay low, and you give up the baseline, don't get back on transition defense and allow wide-open threes, and allow your man to drive down the lane without staying with him, preferably in front of him, or at least contesting the shot, you aren't going to win many games that way. You can't always expect your teammates to step in and play help defense or block a player's shot from behind. That's why Boone got into foul trouble for the second game in a row and were out shot significantly at the free throw line. Several players were out of position frequently on defense and picked up fouls, or players picked them up when they had to pull off their own man to try to help out. I think in at least a few of Boone's losses the other team had many more free throw attempts. Dixie was 21 of 31 last night. Boone was 5 of 8.

Dixie's big man may still be feeling the effects of his hand injury from a few weeks ago. Kendall of course was in the hospital a week or two ago fighting off a viral infection and still may not be 100%.

Didn't Dixie play Boone last night? I think that I heard they beat'em. Didn't hear much about how Dixie's players did though because all I keep hearing about is Boone, Boone, Boone. :D

Is there anything anyone can add like... ahhh ... who played for Dixie and who were their contributers? Stuff like that. :D