Dixie Heights 66 Boone County 53

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't have any input into what (if anything) ails Boone right now, but anyone who says that a high school head coach does not have a meaningful impact upon the performance of his team is just off base. A great coach can make an average team good and a poor coach cause a good team to not reach their potential. Again, not saying this has anything to do with Boone, but let's not pretend this is the pros, where the head coaches truly don't mean all that much.

Boone didn't play any defense or showed any emotion that would lead you to believe they wanted to win. I was extremely disappointed with their lack of effort. They relied too much on the 3 and they couldn't throw it in the ocean. Not a good game going into the District.

I don't think you are giving Boone's sophs enough credit. A lot of the reason for their 20 wins is pure talent and knowledge of the game from playing AAU ball for many years. They have been successful on every level, wherever they have been (even without without Euton and Jackson from Rose Hill playing with them). I guess we will see for sure next year when they are juniors... Overall, this class is the one of the most talented to come through Boone in awhile. As freshman some of them were playing as well as Boone's seniors last year. I agree that senior leadership is important. Boone only has 1 senior that starts. One or more of the players needs to step up to the task. There are definitely high expectations with the 2011 and 2010 classes at Boone.

You can say what you want, but in the AAU scene without Euton and Jackson that bunch is common.

Boone didn't play any defense or showed any emotion that would lead you to believe they wanted to win. I was extremely disappointed with their lack of effort. They relied too much on the 3 and they couldn't throw it in the ocean. Not a good game going into the District.

They have to rely on the 3 sometimes for lack of plays to get easy baskets.

They have to rely on the 3 sometimes for lack of plays to get easy baskets.

Then they better hit them or they won't go very far in the tournament. IMO they need to have a balanced attack. They have good size and speed. More defense would help.

Because it is a recurring thing. It's not just me. There are many others who have the same opinion after watching Boone play all year and in the previous two years. I've heard from parents, current and former players, current and former coaches of other teams, and fans over the last 3 years. Not enough plays are called by the coach, only 1 or 2 plays are really ever used. I do not see the coaches draw things up during timeouts and adjust to what the other team is doing. It is no coincidence that Boone declined last year as the season ended too.

I would challenge anyone who went to the game to show me an example of where a simple pick and roll or high/low was called and run last night. I haven't seen a weave run all year. Players are not taught to make cuts through the lane or set enough screens. If they are, and they are not executing them, then the coach needs to get them out. I didn't see the coach raise his voice or stand up or get excited one time to try to motivate his kids. He has 1 technical all year. Many people out there who know Boone players and have watched them play over the years know they are better than what the game outcomes are showing right now. It's easy for someone not close to the program to claim that Boone's parents and fans are crying unjustifiably about the coach. How much have you actually watched Boone play over the last 3 years?

I do not consider Boone the favorite against Conner or St. Henry at this point. Other coaches have scouted Boone throughout the season, figured out how to defend them, and adjusted accordingly throughout the season.

Let me start by saying that it sounds like you know a lot about basketball and have probably played or coached at some level. Maybe you even want the Boone head coaching position.

I think however that you may, probably unintentionally, be creating a problem for your Boone County Rebels. I am sure there are boone players who get on here and you are second guessing the coaches ability and decisions. If you indeed have been a coach, you know that coaches try and get kids to accept roles on the team. Some roles are less glamerous than others, but no less valuable. These kids may now think, my coach doesn't know what he is talking about, I should be doing this or that. This happens with a lot of parents in their conversations with their kids and is why coaches have a difficult time developing good team unity.

It reminds me of what I heard about John Messmer at Highlands many years ago. The year before they won their first Regional Title under his tutelage, there were many disgruntled people. As a matter of fact the returning seniors parents that year tried unsuccessfully to get him fired. The administration backed him. I am sure those senior players did not exhibit much faith in his coaching because his parents were very outspoken about it. After a fairly successful, but no region title year, that senior class(and their parents) were gone, Highlands won three regional titles in a row and 4 out of 6. Pretty impressive for a coach who many thought was inadequate for the job.

Another point is that you have some definite philosophical ideas on how the game should be played. But who is to say your way is the best way. As I watch high school, college and professional basketball, there are multiple philosophies that are successful. I look at some ninth region teams I have seen over the years. Scott High school was very successful under Jeff Trame. I can remember when they had Jessie Jett, their offense was designed around his ability to penetrate the lane. It did not seem like they ran many plays, but there team was very difficult to stop. Kenny Shields had Scott Draud, who from what others have told me-shot the ball a lot, even when he had two or three guys on him, yet they were successful. St. Henry in 2003 had no Div. I players, yet were difficult to stop because all the players had the ability to score and understood their roles as they passed the ball very well. Cov. Cath plays a lot of full court press and utilizes a large number of players and have been very successful in the "colonel way" as Mike likes to say.

The point is all have different philosophies that can be successful, as does Coach McQuery. It has obviously shown some success as they are ranked in the top 5 in the region and have some good wins. But if his players are hearing all the time that he does not know what he is doing, it can certainly detract from his ability to get his team to play together, an area that I think is very difficult for coaches today to do because of all the outside opinions.

I hope for your Rebels, that they disregard your comments and listen to the coach and believe in the system he is implementing. If they do that, they have the ability to win the regional title. If they doubt the coaches ability, they may take matters in their own hand, which unless they are undoubtedly the most talented players on the floor, will probably end in a loss.

Let me start by saying that it sounds like you know a lot about basketball and have probably played or coached at some level. Maybe you even want the Boone head coaching position.

I think however that you may, probably unintentionally, be creating a problem for your Boone County Rebels. I am sure there are boone players who get on here and you are second guessing the coaches ability and decisions. If you indeed have been a coach, you know that coaches try and get kids to accept roles on the team. Some roles are less glamerous than others, but no less valuable. These kids may now think, my coach doesn't know what he is talking about, I should be doing this or that. This happens with a lot of parents in their conversations with their kids and is why coaches have a difficult time developing good team unity.

It reminds me of what I heard about John Messmer at Highlands many years ago. The year before they won their first Regional Title under his tutelage, there were many disgruntled people. As a matter of fact the returning seniors parents that year tried unsuccessfully to get him fired. The administration backed him. I am sure those senior players did not exhibit much faith in his coaching because his parents were very outspoken about it. After a fairly successful, but no region title year, that senior class(and their parents) were gone, Highlands won three regional titles in a row and 4 out of 6. Pretty impressive for a coach who many thought was inadequate for the job.

Another point is that you have some definite philosophical ideas on how the game should be played. But who is to say your way is the best way. As I watch high school, college and professional basketball, there are multiple philosophies that are successful. I look at some ninth region teams I have seen over the years. Scott High school was very successful under Jeff Trame. I can remember when they had Jessie Jett, their offense was designed around his ability to penetrate the lane. It did not seem like they ran many plays, but there team was very difficult to stop. Kenny Shields had Scott Draud, who from what others have told me-shot the ball a lot, even when he had two or three guys on him, yet they were successful. St. Henry in 2003 had no Div. I players, yet were difficult to stop because all the players had the ability to score and understood their roles as they passed the ball very well. Cov. Cath plays a lot of full court press and utilizes a large number of players and have been very successful in the "colonel way" as Mike likes to say.

The point is all have different philosophies that can be successful, as does Coach McQuery. It has obviously shown some success as they are ranked in the top 5 in the region and have some good wins. But if his players are hearing all the time that he does not know what he is doing, it can certainly detract from his ability to get his team to play together, an area that I think is very difficult for coaches today to do because of all the outside opinions.

I hope for your Rebels, that they disregard your comments and listen to the coach and believe in the system he is implementing. If they do that, they have the ability to win the regional title. If they doubt the coaches ability, they may take matters in their own hand, which unless they are undoubtedly the most talented players on the floor, will probably end in a loss.

Probably the best post I've seen in this thread yet. Well said.:thumb:

So how 'bout dem Red Colonels :thumb: I guess I don't have a snowball's chance finding out how they played. Considering that they won, I'm going to assume they played well as a TEAM, but I was kind of looking for a few minor details like who their high scorer was. Little things like that. Did any of the Boone supporters see anything in this game other than the scoreboard and their precious Rebels leaving the floor with bowed heads? I'm thinking that since they won that there's something about their performance they might've been notibly relevant and memorable. Something? Anything? Let me help. Were there any guys on the court named Mace (Real big guy,might've dunked it a couple of times), Kendall, Lawson? Ring any bells? Oh nevermind. Maybe by the Regional Tournament these players will re-remind you of who they were and why they're advancing and Boone isn't. :D

I agree that you never say negative things about the coaches to players. I have heard that players and parents have questioned them the last few years. Nonetheless, they boys appear to me to play hard for them most of the time and try to do what he asks, for the most part. I will hope for the best for the team. Results don't lie. The question is whether they are underachieving or overachieving, and if so, why, and can anything be done to improve things? As I've said before, they seem to have a couple of the more talented classes to come through Boone in awhile, and there are high hopes. It could be that the players aren't as good as Boone fans think. The Boone fans are hungry for championships. There haven't been many there over the many years. I hope the coaches prove us wrong and figure out the best way to win with this group. I will be among the first to congratulate them.