I Finally Have It Back!

PurpleHaze

With the help of Mrs PH and a long-time loyal friend of mine who took us to Gallatin, TN, I finally have my minivan back home! I will have to practice the ritual of using the sliding board to get into the driver's seat, and I have to learn all of the electronic controls, but it's back! In fact, it's back early. We weren't expected to get it back until three more weeks!

My trainer/evaluator, Nancy Ramsey of Hendersonville, TN, was impressed with my improvisation on how to get into the passenger seat as I described it to her on the phone. After getting in with the wheelchair, I used the controls to turn the driver's seat sideways facing the passenger side. I used my board and faced the seat forward as I normally would if I was driving. Then I used my board to simply slide over to the passenger seat. Certainly much easier on Mrs PH's back...!! I simply reverse the procedure to get out.

I have yet to practice my driving, as we were tired when we got back (she drove it back home). But you can bet that there will be a lot of practice this weekend! Nancy will be in town Thursday to observe how well I handle the minivan, a type of vehicle I've never driven and the first non-GM and non-Ford product I've ever owned. So, I have more than just the new electronics and equipment with which to get familiar!

More good news. A member of the Medical Evaluation Board in Frankfort called us before we left this morning. She found it ridiculous and redundant that I had to be evaluated by the Medical Board and the KSP (for driving skills) after being evaluated by the VA and the VA sinking over $30K into my minivan as well. All we had to do was to submit to her by fax the evaluation by Nancy, and she approved it and sent an order to our local driver's license people to put the hand controls restriction on my new license (my current one expires after Monday) when I go to get it renewed Monday! I still have to get the Medical Evaluation filled out, but it is just a formality now and not a necessity! I have until 25 March to turn it in, but she said the earlier, the better!

The man who owns the facility that did the upfit said that I got more than 20 cash offers to buy that minivan! He himself wants to find one as well, saying it was the greatest looking minivan he's ever seen! For those who do not know, it is a 2007 Chrysler Town and Country Limited (top of the line). It is a rare color, Cognac Crystal Pearl Coat with the Dark Khaki and Light Graystone interior. It is loaded to the gills with a power glass sunroof, front and rear automatic climate control, rear park assist, gps, and Sirius Satellite Radio. I also added two Chrysler Accessories, remote start and turn signal side mirrors.

Hide the women and children...Ol' Bulldog's back on the road again...!!:lol::lol::dancingpa:dancingpa:dancingpa:dancingpa

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor thing was so excited that he did not sleep last night. He went to bed at, around, 8:00am this morning. I have a feeling as soon as he wakes up he will be ready to ride. I am so excited for him. He loved to drive...that was the thing he missed the most after he lost his legs....almost 4 years later, he is finally going to be in the drivers seat!!!! Twist, Twist, Twist!!!!:dancingpa:dancingpa:dancingpa