When should you choose your high school?

LCBlue

When should a student choose the high school to attend without loss of eligibility?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. When should a student choose the high school to attend without loss of eligibility?

• Middle School or earlier
    • Beginning of Freshman year
    • Beginning of EACH year
    • No restrictions

So because you choose to live in an area where you have no choice, you except the rest of us to do the same thing?

My Daughter had the choice to attend, Boone County, St. Henry, Villa, NDA, Beechwood, Highlands, Cov Holy Cross, Cov Latin or even if she so chose, the many fine Catholic all girl high schools in Cincinnati (BTW none of the school that I mentioned in Kentucky were much more so than 10-15 miles away from our home).

So what you are telling me, because you don't live in area that can support so many schools, you except the rest of us to not take advantage of this, for the benefit of our children?

Seems sort of one side by you! See, no one owns my daughter, no school district, no coach either! We her Mother and I, along with taking into account her wishes, picked the school she attended, becasue it offered the best of everything for her.

What does your response have to do with what I posted? I was explaining that our coach takes an interest.

You think I care who owns your kid? I know you, your the guy in the stands coaching.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ATB...I think that the scenarios described underscore that there are essentially no two scenarios that are equal. IE: this is not a simple public/private issue. That is the sticking point in this debate. If the intent is to "level the playing field", there is pretty much absolutely no point in separating based upon whether the school is private or public.

To different,to be the same. I look forward to the day.

Let me ask this... what change do you see such action doing to benefit your school? And, is it a change that would benefit one specific sport? Or would it somehow benefit all sports?

In many cases the choice of high school does parallel the choice of college. Private vs Public is similar to State college vs private.

In urban areas students may have to choose among several high schools, both public and private, that are viable options. This is the case in Louisville, Lexington, and NKY. If you're in a rural area the students' options may be more limited.

How come it seems that NKY has very few problems with recruiting? From where I live in NKY the following schools were within 15 minutes: CovCath, Boone, Highlands, Ryle, Beechwood, Dixie, Scott, Holmes, Latin (maybe), St. Henry, Holy Cross, Lloyd, Villa, and probably NewCath. Why is it that there are so few problems up in the northern part when we have so many schools?

I attended private grade schools through 6th grade. I didn't go further because at that time Louisville parochial schools only went through 6th grade. Because of that I HAD to go to a public middle school, always with the intention of going to a private high school. That was the case right up until the day that the placement test was scheduled when I decided that I didn't want to change schools again so I stayed in a public school for high school. I use this to illustrate how things can change between 7th grade and high school.

No school system, either public or private owns any child and to be totally honest I don't care how much time or effort a coach "gives" to a middle school kid or a high school kid for that matter, that kid owes NOTHING to the high school coach. The coach is doing his/her job no more, no less. By doing a good job that coach can EARN the players loyality but he/she is not owed it.

I selected no restrictions on school choice. If I play varsity sports at one school then part of my choice if I decide to change school is knowing I won't be able to play for a year. That is part of the decision making process, BUT if it is best for my child to attend 4 different high schools in four years then I should have that right.

Why shouldn't it be? It's a big choice. My children will have the opportunity to select from Boone County, CovCath/Notre Dame, St. Henry, Covington Holy Cross, Beechwood, Newport Catholic, Highlands, Dixie, Scott, and Simon Kenton.

We have three high schools in the county but you would attend the one in your attendance zone. Are there no restrictions to the high school you attend?

Boone County is the public school district I am districted to and they do require you to attend a school (Ryle, Conner, Boone, or Cooper) based on your address. While some of the Catholic grade schools are districted into one high school or another, you can pay out of district tuition instead of in district tuition to attend the Catholic high school of your choice. Hence the possibility of going to CovCath, Notre Dame, Holy Cross, Villa Madonna, and NewCath. Highlands, Beechwood, and the Kenton County schools (Dixie, Simon Kenton, and Scott) accept qualified out of district tuition students if there is space in the school. So other than space issues, living in Florence, my child could attend of the schools mentioned and be to any in about 15 minutes.

I don't think people outside of NKY fully realize how many schools are within a very close distance to many residents. Heck, I can be to 10 schools faster than some people throughout the state can get to their one county school.

Its a nice situation for us.

I was going to post something similar. We have students on the bus for 90 minutes in the morning and 90 minutes in the evening.

For a good number of students across this state, there is no choice in HS. There is one in their county. And then the parents cannot afford tuition or the cost to travel outside of the county/community to have a 2nd choice.

Posing this question highlights one of the big difference and lack of understanding between rural and urban.

How come it seems that NKY has very few problems with recruiting? From where I live in NKY the following schools were within 15 minutes: CovCath, Boone, Highlands, Ryle, Beechwood, Dixie, Scott, Holmes, Latin (maybe), St. Henry, Holy Cross, Lloyd, Villa, and probably NewCath. Why is it that there are so few problems up in the northern part when we have so many schools?

The teams at the top usually like to hold the position that it is a lovefest with no problems in NKY.

The others don't hold to such a position.

ATB...I think that the scenarios described underscore that there are essentially no two scenarios that are equal. IE: this is not a simple public/private issue. That is the sticking point in this debate. If the intent is to "level the playing field", there is pretty much absolutely no point in separating based upon whether the school is private or public.

We continue to agree more and more on issues both here and in P & R.

Glad to see you are coming around to my way of thinking.:D:thumb::p

So because you choose to live in an area where you have no choice, you except the rest of us to do the same thing?

So your position is that instead of making things comparable for any and every student around the state, we should abandon areas of this state that have geography and transportation problems that limit or prohibit choice and move to areas that have advantages?

So your position is that instead of making things comparable for any and every student around the state, we should abandon areas of this state that have geography and transportation problems that limit or prohibit choice and move to areas that have advantages?

And I could answer back, so your position is that instead of letting those who live in such an area where they can choose what is best for their children, they (meaning those who live in large urban areas) can only have what those who live in geography areas that can't offer choice have? My area of the Commonwealth shouldn't be hindered, because we have what we have! To me and most parents who choose one school over another, it has nothing to do with sports, it's all about getting the best education that I can get for my child! "Sports are for fun, a great education, last a lifetime."

I know that you don't like the no child left behind law (and I understand why) but why should I have to send my child to a school that is not up to my standards dealing with his/her education? Please don't tell me that all HS are equal, when it comes to getting a great education. Should it be that way? Yes, but it isn't.

Maybe the real answer to all of this, is to reduce the number of Counties that we have in the Commonwealth. Having Counties in the Commonwealth that are smaller in population than the subdivision that I live it, just doesn't make sense. Maybe counties in the Commonwealth should be based on a minimum population size, or square mileage minimum if the population base is too small. Understand what I am saying?

Will it ever be equal? No, you know that as well as I do...

The teams at the top usually like to hold the position that it is a lovefest with no problems in NKY.

The others don't hold to such a position.

I may be misinterpreting your post but I am assuming that you are saying that since NKY teams are at the top, they don't have a problem. What I am saying is that I really don't know of too many recruiting allegations going on in NKY. Even when top players switch schools (i.e. Mike Mitchell to Highlands a few years ago, or to a lesser extent Mike Hester to SK), I really didn't hear any allegations of recruiting.