What needs to happen in both girls & boys basketball to make it a better game.

I just finished Ken Kaiser's book, Planet of the Umps. (very entertaining). He commented that umpires (applies to all officials) are there so that coaches and players have someone to blame for their mistakes and inability to complete the play. ;)

Officials are not the only ones that can make a difference in the quality of the game.

Very well said. Sounds like a great book.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Officials are not the only ones that can make a difference in the quality of the game.

Amen!!! You know that if you go to a game and the coach acts up it gets the fans to act up. If you have two coaches and they are just coaching and not acting like a fool it is kind of a boring game. Coaches make the crowd what it is, good or bad, with the exception of #10's mom who dosen't know a thing about basketball. Thats what makes High School basketball fun though, the characters in the stands and sometimes the officials.

Amen!!! You know that if you go to a game and the coach acts up it gets the fans to act up. If you have two coaches and they are just coaching and not acting like a fool it is kind of a boring game. Coaches make the crowd what it is, good or bad, with the exception of #10's mom who dosen't know a thing about basketball. Thats what makes High School basketball fun though, the characters in the stands and sometimes the officials.

Y'know, in the past I have tried to make a habit of tuning out the stuff in the stands because of the ridiculous stuff that rains down, but I fear I've missed a lot over the years because of it. The past few games I have tried to be more ... how shall I say it ... "crowd-conscious." And the laughs haven't stopped since! :lol:

I think the thing that would help with physical play is to require all games to have 3 referees. Most games that I attend only have two refs, especially the girls games. It is difficult enough for 3 refs to be in the right position for reffing the game, let alone 2.

When we moved from TN, we thought that KY would have be clearly better in the reffing department, as this is supposed to be a "basketball state." But TN refs were much better (in large part I believe because the varsity games had 3 refs).

I think the thing that would help with physical play is to require all games to have 3 referees. Most games that I attend only have two refs, especially the girls games. It is difficult enough for 3 refs to be in the right position for reffing the game, let alone 2.

When we moved from TN, we thought that KY would have be clearly better in the reffing department, as this is supposed to be a "basketball state." But TN refs were much better (in large part I believe because the varsity games had 3 refs).

We have 3 every game and I am not sure it is noticably better.