What needs to happen in both girls & boys basketball to make it a better game.

The physical play is getting ridiculous. The coaches feel, Pitino mindset, they aren't going to call every foul and have a FT march so play physical.

If your opponent is playing physical and it is not being called you have no choice but to play physical back.

I say the officials need to get control of the game and spend a season with players sitting on the bench in foul trouble and fouling them out.

The coaches will adjust and teach to play defense without the physical play.

But right now, because they know not every push or handcheck or bump with the lower body is not going to be called, you HAVE to teach it or you are not going to be able to compete against those that does.

For the betterment of the game, we need a season of players on the bench in foul trouble and 100 FT's a night so coaches will be FORCED to adjust what they are teaching on defense.

I submit that for your consideration and either support or ripping apart.:thumb::p

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let them play, in the summer basketball programs (AAU & Exposure) kids are taught to play hard nosed physical defense. Similar to college. I think it prepares them for the next level and it certainly makes for a more entertaining game.

For my money and certainly IMO, when ticky tack fouls are called it slows the game to the point that only the parents will want to watch.

So play hard but clean and let fans enjoy the show.

Let them play, in the summer basketball programs (AAU & Exposure) kids are taught to play hard nosed physical defense. Similar to college. I think it prepares them for the next level and it certainly makes for a more entertaining game.

For my money and certainly IMO, when ticky tack fouls are called it slows the game to the point that only the parents will want to watch.

So play hard but clean and let fans enjoy the show.

The game of basketball is not to push, shove, knee, elbow, hack so many times that the official begins to not call physical play because everyone is complaining that too many fouls are being called.

And THEN it leads to the fans/parents problems with the officials because in their eyes, their little babied got hammered.

Listening to Brossart fans on Sat, they were all over the officials for too many fouls called. One guy yelled it was ridiculous for 18 fouls to have been called as they shot a free throw. On the rebound when the bump wasn't called, he yelled, come on, you gotta call that. That is the fouls you should be calling.

The game of basketball is not to push, shove, knee, elbow, hack so many times that the official begins to not call physical play because everyone is complaining that too many fouls are being called.

And THEN it leads to the fans/parents problems with the officials because in their eyes, their little babied got hammered.

Listening to Brossart fans on Sat, they were all over the officials for too many fouls called. One guy yelled it was ridiculous for 18 fouls to have been called as they shot a free throw. On the rebound when the bump wasn't called, he yelled, come on, you gotta call that. That is the fouls you should be calling.

PS "Great topic"

I will agree the fans should be muzzled. It is crazy when you hear the things being shouted at the officials. School officials should police the stands and control parents. Let the players play.

The physical play is getting ridiculous. The coaches feel, Pitino mindset, they aren't going to call every foul and have a FT march so play physical.

If your opponent is playing physical and it is not being called you have no choice but to play physical back.

I say the officials need to get control of the game and spend a season with players sitting on the bench in foul trouble and fouling them out.

The coaches will adjust and teach to play defense without the physical play.

But right now, because they know not every push or handcheck or bump with the lower body is not going to be called, you HAVE to teach it or you are not going to be able to compete against those that does.

For the betterment of the game, we need a season of players on the bench in foul trouble and 100 FT's a night so coaches will be FORCED to adjust what they are teaching on defense.

I submit that for your consideration and either support or ripping apart.:thumb::p

I think this is a great thread. I agree, it is a physical game, but at what point do we draw the line on what is too physical to the point of it being "dirty"? At this point, you are right, players have no choice but to play "physical" right back or get run out of a gym, or at the worst extreme, get hurt. I think consistency in officiating is a huge problem. You never know what you are going to get! It makes a coach's job very difficult. You can play up close & personal defense without being "dirty". I think Simon Kenton is a great example of that.

My daughter is in her senior year and has been playing HS varsity ball for 5 years. Over the 5 years I had hoped that the quality of the ref's would improve but I believe they have been more inconsistent as of late. They will call a touch foul on one team and not call a shove on the other. Sometime I take a look up to make sure the lights are on on both ends of the court.

What has surprised me the most over this period of time is that I have not seen any of the girls get seriously hurt. There are times that I believe the fouls are more than intentional, where a girls comes in to foul and it doesn't really matter how she does it. I have seen take downs that any wrestler would be proud to call his own that haven't been called.

I know the refs have a tough job, one that I would not like to have, but they are being "paid" and in this vein they should be doing what is necessary to have control of the game on the floor. They key word is control. When they let a push, turn into 2 pushes, etc...by the time the second and third quarter come around it is not just pushes. They must control the game. I have seen refs in college and pros call some of those ticky tacky fouls just to let the players know that they will not get away with going to the next level.

I think at times, the time of the game is important. I have seen a game get away from the refs because they did not call any fouls. In that case it looked as if the refs had previous engagements and couldn't wait to get out of the gym. There is the flip side where too many fouls are being called and the next thing you know the evening news is coming on and you are at the gym. There is a happy medium but it seems the bad refs don't get any better and they come in 2's. I am not familiar with how the assignments are handed out but mix up the refs so that they get a chance to learn from those that might have more experience. You can not dictate what to do in certain situations because all situations are different and a lot of times the ref need to get a feel of the crowd and the players to make what is hoped to be the right decision. There needs to be a way to review the performance of the refs and look for opportunities to improve the training where needed, it won't help my daughter but might help those who will be coming up in the years to come.

The only thing I see that needs to be a change is who will be allowed to call a timeout. A coach calling a timeout when his or her player is in trouble takes away from the great defensive play that was applied on their player. I've seen this a lot when a coach, who is no where near the play calls a timeout to bail out their player. I think the player or players on the floor should call the timeout just like it was in the good old days!

I think a shot clock would be the best addition. I also realize that it ain't going to happen. Too many issues implementing.

I probably shouldn't have even brought it up, because its been discussed ad nauseum elsewhere. No need to beat a dead horse.

LBBC, I agree with your astute observation and opinion. The Boone/HHS frosh game last night was a blood bath. A total of around 12 fouls called in the whole game. This type of ball is not fan friendly. I find it quite ugly actually.

Sorry but I can not resist, with a name like "malachicrunch" I would think you would enjoy a hard foul.

Seriously though no one wants to see a hack fest just good belly to belly defense.

The "no Call" that really bugs me and that has resulted in injuries is the diving on top of another player after a loose ball. It is ridiculus that when 2 people are on the floor wrestling for a ball a third player can basically hop on top and it not be a foul.

How is that different than over the back or a push.

Or there is one person chasing the ball and another player basically knocks them out of the way with their body.

We have had busted lips, black eyes, and concussions from this as well as having the breath knocked out of the player.

Parents can't enjoy a game if they are holding their breath and hoping their child doesn't end up in the hospital with an injury. Basketball should not be this physical. It is not supposed to be a contact sport. Some coaches want to teach the game of basketball, but they also have to teach their players to be physical, because if they don't they will get run over by teams that don't want to play basketball, but want to play what looks like football.

I saw a takedown at a game once that would have been illegal in football, no call!.

I would like to see the refs take control of the game, and if they do it early in the game, and often the players will realize they need to play clean and the rest of the game should be enjoyable as a result.

As for the arguement that it prepares them for college play, well college ball shouldn't be as physical as it is, either. So clean it up now and they will play better ball at the college level.

What has surprised me the most over this period of time is that I have not seen any of the girls get seriously hurt. There are times that I believe the fouls are more than intentional, where a girls comes in to foul and it doesn't really matter how she does it. I have seen take downs that any wrestler would be proud to call his own that haven't been called.

Well said. I know exactly what you mean.

I want to watch a good basketball game...not a street brawl. Refs need to assert control from the beginning of the game. As others have stated, most times when a team is playing dirty, the other team has to either get physical in return - or take a chance on leaving the game on a stretcher. If the refs would make it known that it wasn't going to be tolerated early on, the game wouldn't get out of control. I've been to many games where they let bloody murder go on and then tried to reign it in at the very end. Too little, too late.

Parents can't enjoy a game if they are holding their breath and hoping their child doesn't end up in the hospital with an injury. Basketball should not be this physical. It is not supposed to be a contact sport. Some coaches want to teach the game of basketball, but they also have to teach their players to be physical, because if they don't they will get run over by teams that don't want to play basketball, but want to play what looks like football.

I saw a takedown at a game once that would have been illegal in football, no call!.

I would like to see the refs take control of the game, and if they do it early in the game, and often the players will realize they need to play clean and the rest of the game should be enjoyable as a result.

As for the arguement that it prepares them for college play, well college ball shouldn't be as physical as it is, either. So clean it up now and they will play better ball at the college level.

Basketball is a contact sport whether you want to believe it or not. There's blocking out, picks, screens, etc. that all require contact. Alot of times when the refs call it tight, people complain and say "let them play". Then when they let them play, people say they are letting the game get out of control. They are in a no win situation. They call it the best they can. I would suggest that some of the complainers put on the stripes and see how well they do. I'm sure most wouldn't do any better, probably worse. Maybe the coaches should teach their players not to be so "dirty". If they did this, it would clean-up the game and make it more enjoyable for everyone. Don't put it all on the officials, the coaches also play a role in this. Players only play the way they are taught.