DeCoursy on UK....

letabrotherspeak

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found this statement interesting. What is he talking about here?

when the school gave Tubby Smith a couple mil to go find another job, and the UK administration became intoxicated with the idea of hiring the hottest coach of the moment,

I think DeCoursy was with a faction of writers who thought a great hire for UK would have been Tom Crean. I know Forde was for Crean, Katz may have been, and I believe DeCoursy was one of those as well.

Maybe he felt that BCG was a hot coach and UK went after him. Crean is a very good coach in his own right, but had an up and down year...and would have taken the job.

I think DeCoursy was with a faction of writers who thought a great hire for UK would have been Tom Crean. I know Forde was for Crean, Katz may have been, and I believe DeCoursy was one of those as well.

Maybe he felt that BCG was a hot coach and UK went after him. Crean is a very good coach in his own right, but had an up and down year...and would have taken the job.

The part I found interesting was Uk giving Tubby a couple mil to go look for a job somewhere else.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=320277

What he said...

Very well done.

For those BCG detractors...a must read...

Tried eliminating the "e" in DeCoursy in title...couldn't do it.

"Ten years of mismanagement".....comparison to UNC and UCLA are interesting parallels.

I agree. They are in that same spot as UNC, Indiana, and UCLA were in recently.

Was he fired? No.

I'd be shocked if someone being paid $2 million a year wasn't under pressure.

Way to not read between the lines. There's pressure, such as the everyday stuff that goes with being a high-profile coach at a high-profile basketball factory. On top of that, there's PRESSURE, like what Tubby got in the last two years once the ATB had some actual ammunition for their irrational hatred of Tubby — i.e., his lazy recruiting. Don't act like the university and a good chunk of the fan base wasn't willing to help him pack his bags.

Way to not read between the lines. There's pressure, such as the everyday stuff that goes with being a high-profile coach at a high-profile basketball factory. On top of that, there's PRESSURE, like what Tubby got in the last two years once the ATB had some actual ammunition for their irrational hatred of Tubby — i.e., his lazy recruiting. Don't act like the university and a good chunk of the fan base wasn't willing to help him pack his bags.

Why are you even bringing this up?

LBBC and I were wondering about the comment in the article that UK payed Tubby to find another job. I said he wasn't fired because that's the only time I know that schools pay coaches to leave.

Then you bring this crap up that has nothing to do with what I was talking about, the article, or UK paying Tubby to leave.

Sounds like you need to get your panties unbunched.

OTS and Barnhart's relationship over the last few years, deteriorated.

MB said publicly what he had tried to do behind the scenes for a few years was for Tubby to make the UK product more visible.

There was also suggestions to make staff changes, because the status quo was not working.

OTS resisted.

Stubborness and maybe he felt he had a mandate based on winning a title, and had racked up wins.

Barnhart had done many things to help further along the program, but OTS was not making changes...kind of like the old wily vet who says this is the way I have always done it and I am not going to change...he wasn't adjusting...recruiting had changed, he kept staffers who recruited on name alone...and so on.

Tubby knew what this year was going to bring as far as wins and losses.He out foxed everyone and left,got his 2 million and didn't have to endure a terrible mess he created.If he would have stayed we would not have Patterson and then where would this team be.He is a good coach but not that good.

Tubby knew what this year was going to bring as far as wins and losses.He out foxed everyone and left,got his 2 million and didn't have to endure a terrible mess he created.If he would have stayed we would not have Patterson and then where would this team be.He is a good coach but not that good.

So Tubby saw both Meeks and Jasper getting hurt then decided to leave? Yes, UK would be better with everyone healthy but I would say they would still have three losses. Tubby is clearly a good coach that got a lot out of his players. BCG simply isn't getting as much out of the players as Tubby would. Thats JMO.

Actually yes UK probalby would have Patterson if Tubby stayed.