16th Region MVP Last 25 Years

had a great Little League coach.:D

Which might explain why he gave up baseball.

Mayo on the other hand was 2 time allstate, scored over 1300 points and is directly responsible for Ashland and Boyd having to forfeit losses on their respective records. All this in 2 years.

How many regional titles did Umbergers teams win in his 3 years.

Oh, and ESPN shot a documentary on Mayo while he was in the 16th region.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which might explain why he gave up baseball.

Mayo on the other hand was 2 time allstate, scored over 1300 points and is directly responsible for Ashland and Boyd having to forfeit losses on their respective records. All this in 2 years.

How many regional titles did Umbergers teams win in his 3 years.

Oh, and ESPN shot a documentary on Mayo while he was in the 16th region.

Did he play in the Kentucky State championship game?

No one is arguing that. Once again Mayo is the most talented player to play in the region, but I still think what Umberger did while at Ashland gives him the edge for MVP of the region.
I'm not here to boost one kid or tear another down. I rooted for both of them individually regardless of the team they played for. They were/are both tremendous talents... and IMO good kids.

I'm simply pointing out a strong bias based upon the name on their jerseys. You're not really going to argue that are you? ;)

Did he play in the Kentucky State championship game?

I will answer your question since you won't answer mine. The answer is yes. Mayo played in the Class A finals. I'm sure somehow or another that won't matter but it is quite an accomplishment.

It's funny you mention the AIT MVP's. Is it possibe for a none Ashland player to win 3 AIT MVP's? Once again Umberger was a fine player, one of the best in Ashland's history and probably the best since 1980 that didn't live in Kenova.

I will answer your question since you won't answer mine. The answer is yes. Mayo played in the Class A finals. I'm sure somehow or another that won't matter but it is quite an accomplishment.

It's funny you mention the AIT MVP's. Is it possibe for a none Ashland player to win 3 AIT MVP's? Once again Umberger was a fine player, one of the best in Ashland's history and probably the best since 1980 that didn't live in Kenova.

I agree with Corleone in one way here....Hard to compare AIT Mvp titles to all other players in 16th Region, because not very many teams ever play in the AIT, nor do they ever want to. Most of them go out of town for that time of Season, so that is a tough comparison there.