Harlan County High's New Coach

lungbuster

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harlan Co. has the same type of kids that Belfry, Bell, Breathit, Middlesboro, Pikeville and Prestonsburg have and they have all either won a State title or have been to the finals. I see no reason why Harlan cannot do the same with the proper committment and support.

Harlan Co. has the same type of kids that Belfry, Bell, Breathit, Middlesboro, Pikeville and Prestonsburg have and they have all either won a State title or have been to the finals. I see no reason why Harlan cannot do the same with the proper committment and support.

They can. But it takes time everyone must remember that.

This will be the communities football program and I feel sure that the

man in Superintendents office is quite aware of how a football program

needs to be built. He was an outstanding coach and realizes that

this is something that will have great impact on the entire community. I feel

sure that he will get input from many before making a decision. I do feel

this will be an outstanding opportunity for both the community and a

coaching staff.

Jury will be out a long time on "the best high school in the state". However, its time to seize the day. If HC can't improve with this new facility, its leadership. No reason football wise, HC can't eventually be among the best in their class, but it will take time, a la LCCHS.

I'm not predicting a state championship overnight, but I think the comparison to Letcher is a little unfair, even though it has been made many times.

Fleming-Neon had hit rock bottom when the school closed. Letcher High School only had a team for one year and was, as you would expect, not very good at all. Whitesburg had some nice teams in the past but also struggled at the end.

Last year's Cumberland team would have defeated Neon by 30 and Letcher by 50, and probably Whitesburg by 20 in the last year they existed. Cawood and Evarts would have also swept them.

They can. But it takes time everyone must remember that.

Without a Field General that makes these young men and the community buy into the system that he and his coaching staff puts into place. It will be all for not. Then, theres where it will take time.

Make a note so you can pull this up next year..........Breathitt or Belfry will end the Black Bears season next year. After that 5A Highlands or Cov. Cath. ect........will end it. 1 in every 10 years they will have a team that is truely better than Northern Ky. 2 of the 10 years they may beat them if they are lucky.

I agree that they may have a better team than Letcher County Central, but the same outcome.

I'm not predicting a state championship overnight, but I think the comparison to Letcher is a little unfair, even though it has been made many times.

Fleming-Neon had hit rock bottom when the school closed. Letcher High School only had a team for one year and was, as you would expect, not very good at all. Whitesburg had some nice teams in the past but also struggled at the end.

Last year's Cumberland team would have defeated Neon by 30 and Letcher by 50, and probably Whitesburg by 20 in the last year they existed. Cawood and Evarts would have also swept them.

Its been done, ala the Harrodsburg area merger. I guess what I'm saying is that yes, the issues are different, but there ARE issues. The right coach, with the right district, and the right community support can get it done quicker. Its just that Harlan County has not got a great history of pulling together. Maybe it will be different in this area, but I doubt it. Starting in 3A should help.

You only have one year in 3A. Belfry and Breathitt are loaded next year. Then comes 5A and that's not going to happen as long as Highlands and Cov.Cath. are in your region or on the East side of things. 1 of every 10-15 years will you have that type of talent.

No field , no practice facility at the school. Alot to overcome, not to mention the community. With all the opposition to this school in the first place. Some areas wanting to annex itself and some wanting to start a private school. Alot of work to be done.

This will be the communities football program and I feel sure that the

man in Superintendents office is quite aware of how a football program

needs to be built. He was an outstanding coach and realizes that

this is something that will have great impact on the entire community. I feel

sure that he will get input from many before making a decision. I do feel

this will be an outstanding opportunity for both the community and a

coaching staff.

:thumb: Sounds like this Superintendent works well with the community he serves. More administrators need to remember that they are there to serve not only the students that they are educating but the parents and community in which they work. It seems as though some lose site of this very important ingredient and consider the community their enemy and not an equal partner.

I know it has nothing to do with this debate, but when did "a lot" become one word?

None of the people talking about annexing or private schools are eligible to play high school football?