College recruiting at your school?

pallex32

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a collective effort, of Head Coach, Parent, Player and coaching staff. Schools have to become aware of the student-athlete, which can be done by initial contact, phone calls and invitation to observe.

Players need to attend camps or combines, to display their talent in a setting attended by numerous coaches. Don't limit consideration, to just all D1's and not other quality programs. Do research on the academics offered, yearly cost and the coaching staff.

Getting the name out their early, allows program to follow the player and see development.

Centre, Hanover and Cumberlands have all come to Bullitt East. The coach has done a great job at getting exposure for some of the kids. Centre has been following a couple of players all year here at BE.

Seems like a lot of the D3 and NAIA schools are starting to make a push with visits to the campus in January.

Like Strike 3 said it is a group effort. Coaches should play a greater role in getting kids noticed but they either do not have the time or just do not want to mess with it. I would say it is the parents job along with student to sell themselves. That has worked for us! But man is it much more work than I ever estimated! But I am sure it is about to pay off. We have had Wofford, Ky. State, Cumberlands, Union, Morhead State, and Cincinnati at the school.

Coach Holcomb here at Breathitt doesnt fool around alot with recruiting. I was talking to Colby's dad at the last game and he told me that Holcomb hasnt even offered to help with it. I think the coach or coaches should help these kids out.

I'm just wondering if any colleges come to your school and recruit? Is it the job of the athlete to shop themselves around or does that fall on the coaches?

In all honesty, if the athlete has to, "shop himself around," he's pretty far off the radar.

Almost all the time, if a kid can play in either football or basketball, most coaches at all NCAA and NAIA schools will at least know him. The coaches will then choose who to recruit.

Here is a great article about how to get your son recruited, by John Reed. He has authored several books about coaching youth football, I have several. He also has many articles that he has written on this web site, including the one below. This article will answer many of your questions. The best part of this article is it is written from a person who learned the hard way about getting his son recruited. It has lessons that he learned and how to go about the process, what to expect, and tricks that he learned. Please, if you are concerned about your son getting getting recruited, take a few minutes and read this.

http://www.johntreed.com/matsdad.html

At NewCath we had Tom Potter. Before his death, he was a do everything kind of guy. All you had to do was ask Mr. Potter to make game tapes, or even a highlight tape, line up the games you wanted shown, and name the schools to send it to and it was done. He was not smiling when he did it, but that just meant he really cared :)

In all honesty, if the athlete has to, "shop himself around," he's pretty far off the radar.

Almost all the time, if a kid can play in either football or basketball, most coaches at all NCAA and NAIA schools will at least know him. The coaches will then choose who to recruit.

Sandman, there's more to life than KY. If you want to go out of state to play ball at a non I-A (FBS) school, then you'll likely have to shop yourself around a bit. There's no reason for a college coach in PA to know a KY kid, even if he has the talent to play at that college's level, as there are a lot of kids that can, especially at the lower levels.