College recruiting at your school?

pallex32

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a great article about how to get your son recruited, by John Reed. He has authored several books about coaching youth football, I have several. He also has many articles that he has written on this web site, including the one below. This article will answer many of your questions. The best part of this article is it is written from a person who learned the hard way about getting his son recruited. It has lessons that he learned and how to go about the process, what to expect, and tricks that he learned. Please, if you are concerned about your son getting getting recruited, take a few minutes and read this.

http://www.johntreed.com/matsdad.html

Boy, this is a rambling article Ram! I have read most of it - out of order - Very interesting.

The perspective that I have is that the parents, player and coach have to have a partnership. Coach to champion the player, advise of opportunities and make connections. Players need to evaluate their skill level and target schools they believe they can realistically compete at. (Don't insist on D-1 if your current skill level is D2 or D3). Parents need to provide support for both the coach and player and be prepared to offer advice/ opinion - when needed.

It can be very frustrating for the coaches and players when colleges recruit based on specifications for many positions. Players that could compete at D-1 have been overlooked becasue they aren't big enough. The players are at the mercy of the coaches, at least for the skill positions - can't get stats if they don't throw it or hand-off to you. At least on the O-line the film tells the tale. It's a little clearer on defense, but abiility is generally only judged through very small windows and is very subjective.

The article above won't get your son recruited, but it will put the whole process into perspective.

Players need to evaluate their skill level and target schools they believe they can realistically compete at. (Don't insist on D-1 if your current skill level is D2 or D3)

Parents need to be realistic about the son's ability also. I know a couple of parents who didn't take visits to certain D3 schools thinking their son was too good for them. Those kids probably won't be playing anywhere.

Another piece of advice is that if you son makes good grades don't think any school is "too expensive"

Boy, this is a rambling article Ram! I have read most of it - out of order - Very interesting.

It is quite long, but I like the perspective on the recruiting process. He did graduate for Harvard, I believe. He is a little long hared, but you should read some of his coaching books. If you have time read some of the football articles on his web page, they are free, some of them will make you think he is a genius, and some will leave you wondering if he knows anything about football.

The article above won't get your son recruited, but it will put the whole process into perspective.

You're right. This article will not get your son recruited, but it did make me aware of some things that I had not considered, and explained some things that I was wondering about. Pretty good article, if you take out the fluff.

We're going through the process now. Put together our own highlight tape, the coaches didn't have time and too many kids to highlight. Coach did make phone calls and send emails. Also connected my son with recruiters coming into school. Yeah, we would like an easier path - but it ain't gonna happen.

Welcome to the real world boys - things don't get done for you, sometimes it seems everyone is looking to put the thumb on you, etc. If you haven't figured it out so far by playing sports and resolved to make things happen for yourself - you will soon enough. Whether I like it or not Football does mirror life. Hard work pays off, but not always. People notice talent, but not always. Lazy bums sometimes get the nod because of who they are, or who they know. Welcome, jump in and be true to yourself regardless of what's happening around you.;)

Here is a great article about how to get your son recruited, by John Reed. He has authored several books about coaching youth football, I have several. He also has many articles that he has written on this web site, including the one below. This article will answer many of your questions. The best part of this article is it is written from a person who learned the hard way about getting his son recruited. It has lessons that he learned and how to go about the process, what to expect, and tricks that he learned. Please, if you are concerned about your son getting getting recruited, take a few minutes and read this.

http://www.johntreed.com/matsdad.html

Wow.

I just spent the last two hours reading that website. I couldn't stop.

Very, very interesting.

I am going to get his books.

Wow.

I just spent the last two hours reading that website. I couldn't stop.

Very, very interesting.

I am going to get his books.

He is a very intelligent man, some of his stuff is a little different then what we are used to but he has success with it. I have his "Coaching Youth Football", and "Youth Football Defense". I used some of his philosophies while coaching and many of them were quite good.

At Owensboro High School we have a preparation program for athletes that are interested in playing sports in college. It is called "OHS ELITE" and 100 students are currently enrolled. It is a program that begins in their 9th grade year and begins with the understanding of the core gpa. It's too late to be just a good athlete in their senior season.....they must be a student/athlete. The are also given instruction on how to speak properly to the media, how to create an athlete's resume', how to put together a recruiting package to mail to perspective colleges (that include film), what to ask recruiting coaches that call and write, how to be real about your abilities, how to respect their coaches and teammates, how to write a speech for your signing,......these students are constantly advised as the process picks up over four years. In addition, a parent meeting is hosted each year for parents about the same process. Parents and students are also assisted in the process of the NCAA Clearinghouse. We have also implemented a thorough ACT tutoring program with excellent tutors for athletes that need to improve their sum scores and compostite scores. This program has been in place for about three years and we are starting to see results......our athletes are much better prepared for the recruiting process and many more athletes are considering going on to the next level in all our sports. We anticipate approximately 15-20 students that will advance this year in a variety of sports. Owensboro High School has a long running reputation for athletic excellence and we intend for our students to have the best resources available to meet their goals.

At Owensboro High School we have a preparation program for athletes that are interested in playing sports in college. It is called "OHS ELITE" and 100 students are currently enrolled. It is a program that begins in their 9th grade year and begins with the understanding of the core gpa. It's too late to be just a good athlete in their senior season.....they must be a student/athlete. The are also given instruction on how to speak properly to the media, how to create an athlete's resume', how to put together a recruiting package to mail to perspective colleges (that include film), what to ask recruiting coaches that call and write, how to be real about your abilities, how to respect their coaches and teammates, how to write a speech for your signing,......these students are constantly advised as the process picks up over four years. In addition, a parent meeting is hosted each year for parents about the same process. Parents and students are also assisted in the process of the NCAA Clearinghouse. We have also implemented a thorough ACT tutoring program with excellent tutors for athletes that need to improve their sum scores and compostite scores. This program has been in place for about three years and we are starting to see results......our athletes are much better prepared for the recruiting process and many more athletes are considering going on to the next level in all our sports. We anticipate approximately 15-20 students that will advance this year in a variety of sports. Owensboro High School has a long running reputation for athletic excellence and we intend for our students to have the best resources available to meet their goals.

That sounds like a great program. It clearly teaches great lessons even for those that might not get the chance to play sports at the next level. They are learning to sell themselves honestly...something they will need to do for the rest of their lives.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ll tell you……at my son’s HS……..the only thing they do is give you a highlight DVD 6 wks after your last game. And maybe talk to a college coach if they come to the school. I have logged many, many, many hours at my computer or on the phone getting my son’s name out. College coaches has called my house (colleges I had not contacted) wanting to speak to my son. Some of the colleges are: Georgetown Hoyas, College of Holy Cross, Duke University, EKU, WKU, Ohio Northern, Findley, Marshall, Hanover, Mt. Union, this is to name a few. Once I received the highlight DVD, I made 30 copies and mailed them out to the colleges that requested them. If my son gets into a college and plays football…..I contribute it to my efforts not the schools. I strongly suggest that if your son or daughter has the grades and is talented in a sport, choose your HS wisely. If I had to do it all over again, We would have choose one with better program, a proven program, coaches who help kids live their dream.

I’ll tell you……at my son’s HS……..the only thing they do is give you a highlight DVD 6 wks after your last game. And maybe talk to a college coach if they come to the school. I have logged many, many, many hours at my computer or on the phone getting my son’s name out. College coaches has called my house (colleges I had not contacted) wanting to speak to my son. Some of the colleges are: Georgetown Hoyas, College of Holy Cross, Duke University, EKU, WKU, Ohio Northern, Findley, Marshall, Hanover, Mt. Union, this is to name a few. Once I received the highlight DVD, I made 30 copies and mailed them out to the colleges that requested them. If my son gets into a college and plays football…..I contribute it to my efforts not the schools. I strongly suggest that if your son or daughter has the grades and is talented in a sport, choose your HS wisely. If I had to do it all over again, We would have choose one with better program, a proven program, coaches who help kids live their dream.

Thanks for sharing your experience. It was just as I figured it would be. Like I said previously, if you don't market your son you will be disappointed. I am glad it is working out for your son, and I am sure in years to come, he will appreciate what you have done for him.

If my son gets into a college and plays football…..I contribute it to my efforts not the schools. I strongly suggest that if your son or daughter has the grades and is talented in a sport, choose your HS wisely. If I had to do it all over again, We would have choose one with better program, a proven program, coaches who help kids live their dream.

I would agree, a whole lot of effort will need to be made by the parent. IMO D1 schools recruit primarily by size and speed. Players must meet minimum requirements (size or speed) for their position or they won't get a look. Not sure about D2. We have talked to a few D3 schools in the region and quite a few ask about grades. Case Western even says, if the player isn't an excellent student they don't even want to talk to them. More local schools have been more open and willing to talk. We haven't yet found out if any more academic $ comes his way if they want him to play football.

As far as coaches that help kids live their dream I haven't heard of many that go out of their way. Our HS coach just doesn't have the time or the staff to market any number of players (probably 10 are interested in playing in college - at any level). I have heard that Trinity and St. X don't market their players much either - may not be the case but as you recognize there is a lot of time and effort to get his name out and match with a college that is a good fit athletically and academically.

Options are good, but they take a lot of work to play out.

I think that's the job of the Athletic Director of the school or the High School coach to help kids get seen by the colleges.
We can't get our coach at Owen Co. to even give out stats. What could you tell a college coach without that info? There were no awards given at the so-called Awards Banquet either. You should take it upon yourself and your parents to contact college coaches and fill out on-line questionaires.Some even have questionaires for your High School Coach to fill out. Hopefully your coach can help you get seen if they think you can play at the next level. Most High School Coaches in any sport, that think their player is good enough, will contact colleges for you, on their own, which is great.

We can't get our coach at Owen Co. to even give out stats. Also, what could you tell a college coach without that info?
Academics, his size, weight, speed, ACT, Clearinghouse Registered, SAT, athletic accomplishments and awards, paragraph from a coach or scout who has seen him play, contact information to reach the player and family, desired area of study, action photo's, transcripts, character references and possibly, 2-3 minute video of practice/combination game footage.

A lot can be done, without stats but they are certainly needed.

Most of the time with our guys over the past 16 years, college coaches want video- their best performance, and against the best competition. If they have their best performance against the best competition, you are in business.

IMO, the best coaches watch what players do when they are away from the point of attack/ball. Do they block backside assignments/carry out fakes? Defensively, do they give a great effort after securing their initial responsibility to get to the football? When we chose our all star team in 2005 that beat Tennessee, we spent alot of time watching kids when they did not have the ball or were not at the point of attack. Alot of kids don't realize how much they hurt themselves by taking plays off when they are not directly involved in the play.

Grades and ACT are the next big item that the colleges coaches want to see. And, they ask about character, being coachable, etc. That has been the way most guys recruit our kids, from NAIA/D3 all the way through D1. Kids that are really good but not a slam dunk, need to attend camps in the summer to get scholarship offers. Most offers before the end of their junior year are only going to the guys they believe are can't miss.

Stats- I can't remember any coach ever asking me for stats prior to signing a player. After the fact, they want that info for their press release. But, stats are not a great factor because of the variety of competition, coaching styles, offensive systems, etc.

Grutza passed for over 8,000 yards. He could have passed for 9-10,000 if we had been willing to score 80-90 points on weaker opponents. That would not have been good for anyone, including Dustin.

In 16 years we've had some very good players. Of those players, only 3 received D1 scholarships for football. Those are rare. And, there are alot of great players playing small college football.

Hope this helps. Get the video in the coaches hands, and let them do their job.