Lexington Catholic 35 Bell County 16 (4A)

Rebel

The die was cast on Bell's first two possessions-six running plays, a net of four yards. Catholic's line play dominated the game on both sides. Now it's on to more jewelry. And a response to Dudley's rants-one of the best recruiting jobs we did was to get Bill Letton to come to LC-both as a teacher and a football coach.[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about? The only thing I have seen is Coach Hilton said that Letton is setting on a gold mine. That is a compliment to the program. Hey when you dress close to a 100 kids (I'm not sure the number) and the other team dresses I believe 36, it helps. LexCath has done a great job over time building a football program with different head coaches. And watching the game Friday night, it was impressive how well LexCath played at all phases of the game.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Catholic's line play dominated the game on both sides. QUOTE]

If you look at total offense for the game....I believe Catholic had twenty or so more yards. To say they (Line) dominated is not a true picture. Yes they stopped the first two drives. Bell made adjustments. Greer had nearly 100 yards in second half. Bell played with heart and fought back. Turnovers were the key to the game. Give credit to the hard hitting for some of the fumbles....but the line did not dominate the game. Last year we faced a much stronger O-line and D-line from Rockcaste led by Durham of UK....they dominated.

The die was cast on Bell's first two possessions-six running plays, a net of four yards. Catholic's line play dominated the game on both sides. Now it's on to more jewelry. And a response to Dudley's rants-one of the best recruiting jobs we did was to get Bill Letton to come to LC-both as a teacher and a football coach.QUOTE]

What are you talking about? The only thing I have seen is Coach Hilton said that Letton is setting on a gold mine. That is a compliment to the program. Hey when you dress close to a 100 kids (I'm not sure the number) and the other team dresses I believe 36, it helps. LexCath has done a great job over time building a football program with different head coaches. And watching the game Friday night, it was impressive how well LexCath played at all phases of the game.

Am I missing something or aren't these both 4A schools? Both schools have the same number of potential football players. Lex Cath obviously just inspires their athletes better and therefor has more kids coming out to play the game. Perhaps this is one area where Coach Hilton and his staff could do a better job, inspiring all of the potential football stars to come play football. There are schools with much smaller male enrollment than Bell County that are able to field teams approaching 100 players. No reason Bell should not be able to do the same. Plus, I know Lex Cath has their Freshmen dress(a great tradition), so many of the 100 players you noted are freshmen that had little or zero impact on the game.

LC has had a 100 man squad (give or take a few) ever since the program's inception in the early 1990's. Even as a Class A school with a student population of around 325, nearly every boy in the school was on the football team. Participation has always been a mindset standard there and the coachs have been wise enough to take full advantage of it. I think LC and Bell are very similar in size for the total number of students. Yardage-in the first half, it was announced that Bell had 85 yards rushing-nearly sixty of that was on one play. Most prominent evidence that the LC line dominated was Hilton changing his offensive scheme and throwing 3-4 times what he was used to. I thought Bell was unprepared.

Catholic's line play dominated the game on both sides. QUOTE]

If you look at total offense for the game....I believe Catholic had twenty or so more yards. To say they (Line) dominated is not a true picture. Yes they stopped the first two drives. Bell made adjustments. Greer had nearly 100 yards in second half. Bell played with heart and fought back. Turnovers were the key to the game. Give credit to the hard hitting for some of the fumbles....but the line did not dominate the game. Last year we faced a much stronger O-line and D-line from Rockcaste led by Durham of UK....they dominated.

Well spoken Tom Landry. Maybe next year we both can see a more dominating game between Bell and the ROCK. By the way did you get your tater this time???:lol::lol: I have to say one thing they sure are good. Did you all have any left over tators???:lol::lol: Bring some next year if you come to the ROCK!!!

If im not mistaken...didnt Bell just have one more turnover than Catholic??? Bell's turnovers came at very important parts of the game when they were making a run. The Catholic O-Line looked pretty dominant to me, Ward had all the time in the world to throw the ball most of the game.

Bell did have more turnovers. Any turnover is crucial in the game. Ward did have alot of time to throw. On the scramble play on which they scored before half, he probably held on to the ball for 9-12 seconds before hitting his reciever for the touchdown.

Big plays made by LC killed Bell, the Knights first 2 scores were from big plays (1) 96 yard KO return by Guy to the 1 yard line (2) the 51 yard pass to #10 put them in the 14-0 hole. Bell's inability to move the ball in the 1st half and to hang on to the ball in the third quarter (down by 12) killed their chances of any comeback. LC's defense was the difference in the game.

I think he had a lot of time b/c Bell seemed to only rush 3 with LC keeping 6 in to block.

Well spoken Tom Landry. Maybe next year we both can see a more dominating game between Bell and the ROCK. By the way did you get your tater this time???:lol::lol: I have to say one thing they sure are good. Did you all have any left over tators???:lol::lol: Bring some next year if you come to the ROCK!!!

Got the "tater!":thumb:

LC has had a 100 man squad (give or take a few) ever since the program's inception in the early 1990's. Even as a Class A school with a student population of around 325, nearly every boy in the school was on the football team. Participation has always been a mindset standard there and the coachs have been wise enough to take full advantage of it. I think LC and Bell are very similar in size for the total number of students. Yardage-in the first half, it was announced that Bell had 85 yards rushing-nearly sixty of that was on one play. Most prominent evidence that the LC line dominated was Hilton changing his offensive scheme and throwing 3-4 times what he was used to. I thought Bell was unprepared.

If you knew the facts, which I am guessing you dont. Bell had 76 yards the first half, which like everyone has said was a credit to the impressive effort that the knights turned in.

Now if you move to the second half. Bell only threw the ball a little, we had just a few yds over 200 alone in this half. But everytime Bell would be mounting a drive it was stalled by a fumble (3).

I'm going to give the knights credit they are a good program and a well coached one also.

But to ever make the statement that they dominated both sides of the ball is a joke. Another bit of information that would support my comment. LC punted in this game more than they have all year put together.

But this game is over and I for one will be supporting LC the rest of the way. Good Luck and wish your team the best.

:thumb:

Am I missing something or aren't these both 4A schools? Both schools have the same number of potential football players. Lex Cath obviously just inspires their athletes better and therefor has more kids coming out to play the game. Perhaps this is one area where Coach Hilton and his staff could do a better job, inspiring all of the potential football stars to come play football. There are schools with much smaller male enrollment than Bell County that are able to field teams approaching 100 players. No reason Bell should not be able to do the same. Plus, I know Lex Cath has their Freshmen dress(a great tradition), so many of the 100 players you noted are freshmen that had little or zero impact on the game.

The difference is LexCath is a private school where predominantly more wealthy kids who have supporting parents go to school. In Bell County a lot of kids don't have a lot and do not have a way to get home from practice, they live way back in the mountains so to speak. Also, a lot of kids can't play football because they have to get jobs or simply because their parents do not want them playing sports because of whatever reason.

LexCath on the otherhand has a lot of kids who are at LexCath mostly because of their great football program. Nothing wrong with that. Its just different areas of the state and different cultures really.

LC has had a 100 man squad (give or take a few) ever since the program's inception in the early 1990's. Even as a Class A school with a student population of around 325, nearly every boy in the school was on the football team. Participation has always been a mindset standard there and the coachs have been wise enough to take full advantage of it. I think LC and Bell are very similar in size for the total number of students. Yardage-in the first half, it was announced that Bell had 85 yards rushing-nearly sixty of that was on one play. Most prominent evidence that the LC line dominated was Hilton changing his offensive scheme and throwing 3-4 times what he was used to. I thought Bell was unprepared.[/QUOTE]

I whole-heartedly disagree with that. I'm not trying to take away from the job LexCath's coaches have done, but they simply have better personnel. If you notice Bell ran some different running plays and made adjustments to their running game to get it to start working. It was really bad for Bell though to dig a hole like they did.

And again I reiterate. Hats off to LexCath. They have a great program and played a great game Friday night.

The momentum started with the opening KO (Guy to the 1 yard line) but the beginning of the end may have been the late 1st half drive. LC started under their own goal post after a punt with less than 4 minutes remaining and scored with only a few seconds left in the half. That created a second round of momentum for LC that carried into the 3Q.

Bell County had a great year and is a great program. The fans were great and I have heard nothing but complements for the Bobcats the last 2 days.

Shutout Rock twice. They did not even sniff the endzone.

3 Turnovers in the 3rd makes it hard to win.

What do you want a COOKIE? Win with some class.

Maybe, just maybe those turnovers were a product of a hard hitting, pretty good defense.

Anyway, Bell County stuck around and made a game of it. I knew from experience when Merricks kick feel 1 yard short of the EZ, it was going to be ugly. Catholic thrives of of big plays. They beat Rock the same way in 2005. 21-20 at the half and they ran 3 flea-flickers with Burke and Revere on that turf and it was all over. Too much depth and athleticsm. I was impressed with Catholic's QB footwork, but he is not the type of QB LC has been used to. He was far too innacurate and when he did get the passes to the WR's they dropped them in the 1st quarter. NO JUMP PASS from Bell County, I couldn't beleive it! Zachary, while not being a pure QB will be dangerous next year, but I already knew that. Did Nelson get hurt? I can guarantee that loss hurts, coming from a team that has never defeated the Catholics of Lexington. (0-3) 1997, 1998, 2005 Too many weapons...

What do you want a COOKIE? Win with some class.

Maybe, just maybe those turnovers were a product of a hard hitting, pretty good defense.

Anyway, Bell County stuck around and made a game of it. I knew from experience when Merricks kick feel 1 yard short of the EZ, it was going to be ugly. Catholic thrives of of big plays. They beat Rock the same way in 2005. 21-20 at the half and they ran 3 flea-flickers with Burke and Revere on that turf and it was all over. Too much depth and athleticsm. I was impressed with Catholic's QB footwork, but he is not the type of QB LC has been used to. He was far too innacurate and when he did get the passes to the WR's they dropped them in the 1st quarter. NO JUMP PASS from Bell County, I couldn't beleive it! Zachary, while not being a pure QB will be dangerous next year, but I already knew that. Did Nelson get hurt? I can guarantee that loss hurts, coming from a team that has never defeated the Catholics of Lexington. (0-3) 1997, 1998, 2005 Too many weapons...

Nelson played defense In the second half right??:confused: