Lexington Catholic 35 Bell County 16 (4A)

Rebel

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hats off to LexCath. They have a great football team. Just their overall speed, size and depth was impressive. The biggest play of the game may have been the 1st play when Merrick's kickoff fail just short of the endzone and Guy took it all the way to the 2. Bell did not seem to have good field position to start drives most of the 1st half and it was a factor early.

I thought Bell would be able to run the ball better, especially early on, than they did. LexCath IMO is going to walk through the next 2 games.

As for the Bell seniors, they have been a great group and have led this team to a great season! I just wish this game could have been played in the semis.

Bell had rushed the ball well last night. We had 286 yds rushing on the night if my memory serves me right.

But as the rest have said, for us to have played LC close or to have had a chance to beat them. We had to play mistake free and minus the 3 fumbles, all of wish happened with Bell driving. Good luck to LC and a very well coached football team.

As a fan watching this game I was so impressed with our Bobcats. They had so many chances to hang there heads and yet hung in there. Showed a lot of heart and determination.

I wanna hear from some of the Catholic fans when they get in...I hope they came away from Log Mountain with no negative feelings.

Great atmosphere for a friday night high school football game. Great crowd on both sides. It'd be cool if someone could make a gi-nourmous sign to put on the rock facade to the right of the field to tout the achomplishments of the program.

Which accomplishments would those be?

You are kidding right? :laugh::laugh: 7 regional titles in 17 years. Not alot of people can say that! Won district 12 or so straight years in the 80-90's!

Again you are kidding I hope.

This group of seniors put Bell back on top as a dominate team in not only E. Ky but the whole state. Nothing to hang their heads on!!! Again the boys from Bell Co. will lose to the state Champ.

I also heard that if Bell is lucky enough to win the first three rounds next year they will welcome Lex Cath back again to Log Mountain. Anyone know if that is true?

You are kidding right? :laugh::laugh: 7 regional titles in 17 years. Not alot of people can say that! Won district 12 or so straight years in the 80-90's!

Again you are kidding I hope.

This group of seniors put Bell back on top as a dominate team in not only E. Ky but the whole state. Nothing to hang their heads on!!! Again the boys from Bell Co. will lose to the state Champ.

I also heard that if Bell is lucky enough to win the first three rounds next year they will welcome Lex Cath back again to Log Mountain. Anyone know if that is true?

Thats something to be proud of.

I thought it was okay. The only play I really thought they messed up on was the catch made at the 10 yard line, or in that area, by LexCath before halftime to set up the score. I thought he was out of bounds. I could be wrong though. It doesn't really matter much. LexCath had the better team.

On the bright side Bell only loses 6 players! Atleast 4 freshmen played a lot fot Bell as well tonight. I believe 3 O-linemen were sophomores. And the junior class has a ton of good players. I'm excited about the future.

I for one was wondering about the catch that was made also. We went back and watched the film from last nights game and he did make the catch with 2 feet in bounds. Very nicely done. Also if you all remember the call of a catch by the tight end when it looked to hit the ground. That also was a catch as well. He had both hands under the ball and it was cleanly caught.

Was that the play across the middle? Somewhere close to midfield?

I think it was on the hash towards the Bell County side, and about at the Lex Cath 40 yard line... I just remember Coach Hilton jumping up and down; his head may have hit the six foot mark at the apex of his jump. He was skying! Dudley 'Sky' Hilton. One of the first things I noticed from the Bell County players was their spirit and 100% effort, and it's the spirit of Coach Hilton that helps set the tone.

A few other comments: All the hype of the pre-game thread with a watered down field, a hostile crowd, spitting fans.... ALL OF IT UNTRUE! I found the Bell County fans to be a welcoming bunch, the field was in great shape for the end of November with a thick Bermuda Brown from the hashes to the sideline, and even mid field was in good shape - all of this after a rain storm 24 hours before the game. Two more things, I wasn't spit on a single time! :jump:, and the chain gang seemed to be a good crew, too. No problems there!

A couple other items still to address from the pre-game hype, e.g, 1) Bell County defense knocking kids out of the game and 2) partisan zebras. The Bell county kids definitely hit and they go 100% to the whistle plus one to one-and-a-half seconds - usually a ref will not call a late hit when playing through the whistle and Coach Hilton realizes that and probably emphasizes to the kids to play through the whistle - nothing clearly illegal, but a gray area, sort of like going 72 mph in a 65 mph zone.. .just pushing above the limit a little. I will say this though and it is only from the perspective of player safety - the Bell County boys tend to lead with their head when it's the second tackler making contact, and it is a neck or head injury waiting to happen. The Bell County coaches should review their films and correct the tackling techniques because eventually someone will get hurt. The other pre-game hype, that being, partisan referees, well, I am not sure that they were purposefully partial, and I know that Bell County had nothing to do with it, but I am certain that Lex Cath had more than 10 penalties called, while I believe that Bell was not whistled for a single penalty. Several times there was some "after whistle extracurricular activity" that went on and really should have been called a couple times.

These are just a few observations from one Lex Cath fan - we enjoyed our trip to Log Mountain, and as was posted in the pre-game thread, never believe the hype, the Bell County fans were great and what a great atmosphere it was for a high school football game. It's too bad that only one team could win.

Oh yea, and one more thing - we enjoyed the pre-game prayer prior to the national anthem. It was nice to go to a public school where a prayer was offered, and it was a gentle reminder that we are on the same team after all.

This Bell County team with only six graduating seniors will be a team to be reckoned with next year, too. All 4A schools had better be ready!

Thanks for the compliments on our boys Poppa, we couldnt be more proud of our team or those 6 seniors who played their hearts out last night. Id like to be the first to say that I cant way to come down to Cardinal stadium and watch the knights take home another of those big trophies. I for one hope to see that great Catholic crowd back up on Log Mountain for the Semis next year.

The die was cast on Bell's first two possessions-six running plays, a net of four yards. Catholic's line play dominated the game on both sides. Now it's on to more jewelry. And a response to Dudley's rants-one of the best recruiting jobs we did was to get Bill Letton to come to LC-both as a teacher and a football coach.