New Home Stereo/Vintage Setup...

ADopted ADmiral

Seems a victrola is the only thing missing from your new setup.

For those of you who are curious, here is a picture of AA's cell phone I took the other day. Believe it or not, you can access the internet with this cell phone (if you tape a laptop to it).

old-cell-4.jpg69db54d8-0f85-4382-93a4-fc0f44b45e08Large.jpg

Im telling you the old school stuff is the best...That Phone is worth lots of Money,I bought it at the local Goodwill for 50.cents/the last one sold on ebay for $4000.00...:thumb::D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to the Salvation army today and picked up some vintage Realistic Speakers...Im not sure what year they are or how many watts they have...They are two way speakers 8in Subs and a tweeter...I hooked these babys up and they Thump...Heck of a deal considering they cost me a fat $5.00...:thumb:I will be posting some updated pics soon...

Blown up, worn out, or stolen? Because equipment from that era, unlike today, is built to last.

A buddy of mine's dad built his surround sound system out of that stuff and it is the most powerful and booming one I have seen outside of a theater.

In fact I am afraid to watch certain movies there at above certain volumes. It scares me! :scared:

A buddy of mine's dad built his surround sound system out of that stuff and it is the most powerful and booming one I have seen outside of a theater.

In fact I am afraid to watch certain movies there at above certain volumes. It scares me! :scared:

Sounds like it would knock your brain out...:D

Is it still working? I bet it is, and probably sounding great.

Tough stuff on the others.

I have a rather ancient system of my own, but nothing anywhere as cool or good as what you and AA mentioned:

JVC receiver (c. 1992)

Pioneer 25-disc CD changer (c. 1996)

Marantz tape deck (no date listed, but est. 1981/82)

Jensen speakers (c. 1987)

Nothing special, but it does the trick. My Jensen speakers still rock hard.

I'm sorry. I thought I had responded to this. The TX7800 died. The FM demodulator circuit gave out. Although I think tube type finals are clearer than solid state versions in amplifiers, digital tuner circuitry by 1995 was far advanced over it's 1980 counterpart. It was logical to just scrap it for a newer model. I bought a new receiver to replace it and gave the SA9800 Amp to my son.

I currently have as set of Jensen speakers that sound as good as my old DQ-10's did. Another thing that has improved over vintage systems is speaker design. The old Bose 901s are not the king of the hill like they used to be. They're still a great speaker, though.

(I should point out that before becoming a computer geek, I spent the first 15 years of my career as an electronics technician. I can still work my way around a circuit with an oscilloscope and DVM some.)

• 1 month later...
New addition to the family...

This is a Marantz Model 1060 Console stereo Amplifier...

It sounds so sweet and Phat...

Ive seen this baby sell on ebay for $80-up to $200...I got it from a guy here in town for $21...:thumb:

Nice!

The problems with those older amps is as they age, dirt, oil, nicotine, etc. builds up in the switches and main volume control pot. Even if the amp was in a relatively clean environment, there will still be some dirt to deal with. I don't know if is still being made, but a product called "Blue Stuff" was great at cleaning these components. You may want to pick up some kind of contact cleaner, if you can't find that.

Nice!

The problems with those older amps is as they age, dirt, oil, nicotine, etc. builds up in the switches and main volume control pot. Even if the amp was in a relatively clean environment, there will still be some dirt to deal with. I don't know if is still being made, but a product called "Blue Stuff" was great at cleaning these components. You may want to pick up some kind of contact cleaner, if you can't find that.

Yea I know what you mean...

Contact cleaner is one of my best friends...:D

The guy I bought it from is this older gentleman that has a booth set up at our flea mall...I went to his house to pick up this amp...The man has electronics wall to wall to the ceiling...The one good thing about buying from him is he will not sell anything that has not been took apart and checked out...Let me know if there is anything you might be interested in and I will check to see if he has it...:thumb: