Football affecting Basketball season?

I am a fan of a small class A school. One thing that especially a small school that is small in numbers HAS to have is all of their athletes in every sport that they want to be in/particiate in. I have heard way too many stories from various schools of coaches of one sport trying to talk kids out of playing another bc it would effect their practice time in that coaches paticular sport.

For instance......some basketball coaches around the state may want the football players that are also on the basketball team not to play football. I understand that but I have to say...........Get over it people :rolleyes:! A h.s. kid should be able to play any and all sports that he or she wants to and their Parents will allow if they can work it out w/o hurting their academics.............Period. Should that mean the football team say would make the playoffs ......then that simply means that the football player/players will be out a little late for basketball practice and should NOT have anything held against them for this. There is still plenty of time to get in "basketball shape" I believe and be a big contributer in basketball as well.

Far too many coaches imo think that it is "all about them". News flash..........it is about the kids and the student athlete.

IMO their should be no excuse for a coach telling a kid not to play a certain sport. This is just pure selfishness on the part of that coach - I have heard some stories at different places about this.

Sorry to go on but I guess this is one of my "soapbox" subjects. Bottom line for me is that a kid should be able to play any and all sports that they want to and can handle without fear of a coach wanting them to not play another sport.

Coaches....JMO but these kids will be in your practices soon enough and in well enough time to contribute w/o being expected to go through some practices/workouts of one sport while still playing another (I have also heard of this as well). With me not knowing the individual situations that imo would only hurt the kid and both teams (with the kid having to pratice both imo would take away focus from one or the other or both).

I am not trying to single anyone out here and am just talking in general and reminding these coaches of "it is about the kids" and not your "some coaches" ego...........JMO

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They could have had the boys over a week earlier in basketball but they had to wait for the girls to go first last year.So knock 7 days off the basketball total.

:thumb:

It's not like they took that break of a week just for rest and relaxation. The shuffling of the state tourneys was because Rupp had the NCAA 1st/2nd round games in March. They weren't "waiting" for the girls as much as waiting for Rupp to be available.

It's not like they took that break of a week just for rest and relaxation. The shuffling of the state tourneys was because Rupp had the NCAA 1st/2nd round games in March. They weren't "waiting" for the girls as much as waiting for Rupp to be available.

Not sure of the context of your post. But you are right, Rupp hosted first and second round games last year. IMO the people who bid on Rupp's behalf have fallen short. Rupp hosted a final four, and certainly has the size and ability to bid for the regional round (the Sweet 16 and final eight). Maybe they did but didn't get it, any round of the NCAA tournament is huge. But the folks that run and market Rupp should be looking for the regional round. Makes much better sense for an Arena of this size in an area of the country that will support big time college basketball.

Not sure of the context of your post. But you are right, Rupp hosted first and second round games last year. IMO the people who bid on Rupp's behalf have fallen short. Rupp hosted a final four, and certainly has the size and ability to bid for the regional round (the Sweet 16 and final eight). Maybe they did but didn't get it, any round of the NCAA tournament is huge. But the folks that run and market Rupp should be looking for the regional round. Makes much better sense for an Arena of this size in an area of the country that will support big time college basketball.

Did you ignore the post I quoted? Milfordflash acted like the boys were just hanging out, wasting time "waiting" on the girls to get done.

Did you ignore the post I quoted? Milfordflash acted like the boys were just hanging out, wasting time "waiting" on the girls to get done.

No I didn't ignore it, it just didn't make a lot of sense to me. My point was Rupp could get regional round NCAA games on a regular basis, and make more money than first and second round contests.

Also, under the current KHSAA basketball calender boys and girls teams start the same time every year and start the postseason the same time every year. Since they won't play the Sweet 16's the same weekend this leads to a long layoff for one gender or the other every year.

Ohio avoids this by starting the girls season a week earlier than the boys each season, thus they are a week ahead throughout the season and postseason. Easy fix. Volleyball, golf, soccer, and cross country all end before football, so the girls go first into winter sports. Title IX is not an issue.

Football and soccer have the luxury of having their kids from day 1 of practice. This is a big advantage to those sports. There is no question that kids who play both sports - advantage goes to football/soccer. I don't see why any football coach would discourage a kid from playing basketball - football coaches don't lose the kids for one day of regular practice. Basketball coaches, however, miss out on some kids they are counting on for up to 6 or 7 weeks of practice. Football has nothing to complain about...

Regarding the length of the playoffs - the only reason the basketball playoff system takes as long as it does is because of title 9 (prime time nights must be shared with girls teams) football doesn't have to worry about this.

So no time is taken away from football??? What about when the B-Ball Players go to Summer Camp or AAU... This battle is never going to end... Because all the coaches want more practice time with their players.. There is no simple solution

Ohio avoids this by starting the girls season a week earlier than the boys each season, thus they are a week ahead throughout the season and postseason. Easy fix. Volleyball, golf, soccer, and cross country all end before football, so the girls go first into winter sports. Title IX is not an issue.

I do like the above idea starting the girls season earlier. Makes alot of sense.

I am a huge basketball fan, but also love football and understand that football pays the bills for many of the non revenue producing sports. More games means more money for athletic programs

As a basketball fan the fact is that an extended season does affect many teams that share athletes with football. This isn't the case at every school, but many teams will not be at full strength and at their best until mid January when the basketball season is nearly half way over.

Doesn't Basketball do this as well, you have every team in the state getting into the playoffs with no realistic chance for the majority of them to get out of the district.

Get rid of the district tournament and send top two teams to the regional, that would save a week. Season could start 12/11 and after all only 12 teams would be playing on 12/9 anyway every one else would be done the week before.

Having the JV or lower class men leave before the season is over is ridiculous, these kids are as much a part of the team as anyone else. They may not get in the games but do get valuable practice time and provide the starters a team to go against. This is especially true at the smaller schools.

I love high school Basketball, Baseball and Football. If your school is lucky enough to have a successful season in one sport and advance in the post season I think that far out weighs the small amount of practice time missed in the next sport.

Your only talking maybe 2-3 kids that also play basketball. It's not going to effect practice at all.

They are lots good players that only play one sport, but most small mountain schools have to have their kids play all the sports and that means to share their athletes.

I do know at Breathitt Co. 5-6 athletes play football and do well in that sport and it hurts the basketball program and until football play-offs are over they don't want nothing to do with a basketball. Then after the final football game then they get ready for basketball and have to work very hard to get in shape to run the floor, and be as good as the kids that's been practicing for a month cause they are a difference in what kind of shape you have to be in , but teams and schools have to do what they have to do to suit up and play, but in my opinion it does hurt basketball here in mountains as much as any where in state.

Its hard for team sports not to compete for athletes and that's where coaches need to help each others programs cause without the best athletes playing none of their programs will be what they should or can be.

As a fan of all high school sports i do hope our kids get to play every sport they can, or want to play cause when they graduate they can never get to play the true sport , and that's being a high school athlete, dont we all just love watching them play what ever sport it is.

Your only talking maybe 2-3 kids that also play basketball. It's not going to effect practice at all.

Yeah if he is just a JV football player he probably is JV in basketball as well and it shouldn't be that big of a deal for them either. I say let the kids decide to stay with their playoff bound football team or start basketball practice.