Football affecting Basketball season?

I am not saying that football is doing anything wrong, i just believe there is a flaw in the system. And you can break the numbers down about when basketball starts and the number of teams in the state being in the playoffs. Well the truth is that every year the same teams make the playoffs. So in other words that schools basketball program is not getting the short end once, but every year.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The District Tourney in District 1 last year started on 2/26, the Sweet Sixteen ended on 3/24. This is 26 days for the Basketball playoffs from beginning to end, the Football playoffs last 29 days this year from 11/9-12/7, I don't really see your comparison as a valid point either.:bunny:

They could have had the boys over a week earlier in basketball but they had to wait for the girls to go first last year.So knock 7 days off the basketball total.

:thumb:

For a change, very few Mason County basketball players are playing football. Tolle and Thompson play both sports and I may be missing someone else; but it shouldn't be a HUGE deal for the Royals like it has been for the past several years.

Football and soccer have the luxury of having their kids from day 1 of practice. This is a big advantage to those sports. There is no question that kids who play both sports - advantage goes to football/soccer. I don't see why any football coach would discourage a kid from playing basketball - football coaches don't lose the kids for one day of regular practice. Basketball coaches, however, miss out on some kids they are counting on for up to 6 or 7 weeks of practice. Football has nothing to complain about...

Regarding the length of the playoffs - the only reason the basketball playoff system takes as long as it does is because of title 9 (prime time nights must be shared with girls teams) football doesn't have to worry about this.

I know we did not have all of our players from day one for football. Some were in summer baseball and still playing in national tourney after football practice started.

Summer baseball is not a school activity - IMO the coach must make it clear that school sports have to come before summer/aau type activities. If the coach wants to excuse them, that's one thing, but that has nothing to do with the way the seasons are set up by the KHSAA.

Football season lasts way to long. No need for 4 teams in each region to make the playoffs. Just put your top 2 teams in it like you used to back in the 90's.

As opposed to ALL basketball teams, including those who do not win a game that qualify for a tournament spot?:lol:

How about a true basketball tournament and class the sport? Have the Sweet Sixteen represent the final four of all four classes?

Seems there are twice as many college talent coming out of football now out of the state than basketball. So maybe basketball needs to rethink its declining importance.

As opposed to ALL basketball teams, including those who do not win a game that qualify for a tournament spot?:lol:

How about a true basketball tournament and class the sport? Have the Sweet Sixteen represent the final four of all four classes?

Seems there are twice as many college talent coming out of football now out of the state than basketball. So maybe basketball needs to rethink its declining importance.[/QUOTE]

I would hope there is more football talent. Last time I checked there are a lot more athletes needed to play football on every level than basketball. That means more needs for positions, more kids playing, and therefore more college talent.

Now, basketball has been down in Kentucky, but there were a pretty good amount of D-1 players from the state this past year.

And have you looked at this year's class? It is stacked with future-college basketball players.

Everyone getting in in basketball is nuts also. You have some districts seeded and others are not. Football has 6 divisions and basketball can't even get 2. Do you think Beechwood is going to feel as good about winning a State Championship without having to beat Newcath or Danville? They might win it every year forever.

I guarntee they will enjoy it just as anyone will who gets an opportunity to win a ring will

I am sure if a kid is good enough to play NO b-ball coach is going to turning him down

Oh, I realize that but I am talking about practice time. Because football was moved up a week it keeps them from practice time one week longer. If the football team goes deep into the playoffs the season has already started. It is a disadvantage for the athlete, coaches don't usually cut, but they have already got a game plan going without the kid.