Football affecting Basketball season?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anything football should be moved up a couple of more weeks because of the heat. It is getting too dangerous with the heat issue. Has anyone ever thought that maybe basketball could give and move their season up.

If you move football up much more it will interfere with Christmas! As for the heat issue, coaches just have to adjust their practice times and go with it. If it goes much farther games are more likely going to be freezing cold.

Football season lasts way to long. No need for 4 teams in each region to make the playoffs. Just put your top 2 teams in it like you used to back in the 90's.

Amen, The state tournament is so watered down anyway, why does a 9-1 football team need to play a 1-9 team in the first round. It doesn't make sense. Also let the sophomores with no chance of getting in the varsity football game go play basketball after the JV season is over. Season starts 12/4 with football ending 12/9.

Doesn't Basketball do this as well, you have every team in the state getting into the playoffs with no realistic chance for the majority of them to get out of the district.

Get rid of the district tournament and send top two teams to the regional, that would save a week. Season could start 12/11 and after all only 12 teams would be playing on 12/9 anyway every one else would be done the week before.

Having the JV or lower class men leave before the season is over is ridiculous, these kids are as much a part of the team as anyone else. They may not get in the games but do get valuable practice time and provide the starters a team to go against. This is especially true at the smaller schools.

I love high school Basketball, Baseball and Football. If your school is lucky enough to have a successful season in one sport and advance in the post season I think that far out weighs the small amount of practice time missed in the next sport.

First of all you cannot compare the district tournament in basketball to the way football does this. For example look at the time that it takes up. Basketballs district tournament can be played down in less than a week. It takes two weeks to play out of the district in football. If you keep this going out into the regional and state tournaments it is just a much slower process because you can only play once a week. Name any other major sports that have this kind of carry over. We are not talking about carrying over to where the kids miss a couple weeks of practice. The way that it currently stands some schools will not have their football players until the basketball team has already played some regualar season games.

Basketball season should not start until after Football season has concluded (after the State Finals). No games should be able to be scheduled. Just like baseball should not be able to schedule games until basketball is over. Kids are ask to make to many decisions about the sports they play. Kids should be able to play all sports, without pressure from coaches.

Amen, The state tournament is so watered down anyway, why does a 9-1 football team need to play a 1-9 team in the first round. It doesn't make sense. Also let the sophomores with no chance of getting in the varsity football game go play basketball after the JV season is over. Season starts 12/4 with football ending 12/9.

Sure, ... if you will be willing to do the same for basketball where currently EVERYONE gets into the postseason (as happens in every sport). Football is the ONLY sport in KY where some teams do not get any postseason play. How is that fair? Granted I am not for every team making it, ... but I am like that in ANY sport. What's good for the goose, ..... :D

Sure, ... if you will be willing to do the same for basketball where currently EVERYONE gets into the postseason (as happens in every sport). Football is the ONLY sport in KY where some teams do not get any postseason play. How is that fair? Granted I am not for every team making it, ... but I am like that in ANY sport. What's good for the goose, ..... :D

Like its been said before, a basketball district can be played in a couple of days. Football district take a couple of weeks.

First High school Basketball games of the year are scheduled for 11/26.

As of 11/9 half of the teams in the state will have completed their schedule and can move right on to basketball.

As of 11/16 all but 48 of the states football playing schools will have completed their season.

By 11/23 all but 24 schools will be done playing football and can concentrate 100% on Basketball.

After 11/30 only 12 teams will still be playing football.

AAU Basketball and summer baseball tourneys can interfere with football practice a lot more than football interferes with basketball. I say this because each and every school can be affected by this, the only teams affected by the football playoffs are the few schools that are lucky enough to advance in the playoffs.

Since most kids that play both sports are truly the best athletes in the school these are the guys best suited to over coming a few missed practices.

First of all you cannot compare the district tournament in basketball to the way football does this. For example look at the time that it takes up. Basketballs district tournament can be played down in less than a week. It takes two weeks to play out of the district in football. If you keep this going out into the regional and state tournaments it is just a much slower process because you can only play once a week.....

The District Tourney in District 1 last year started on 2/26, the Sweet Sixteen ended on 3/24. This is 26 days for the Basketball playoffs from beginning to end, the Football playoffs last 29 days this year from 11/9-12/7, I don't really see your comparison as a valid point either.:bunny:

First High school Basketball games of the year are scheduled for 11/26.

As of 11/9 half of the teams in the state will have completed their schedule and can move right on to basketball.

As of 11/16 all but 48 of the states football playing schools will have completed their season.

By 11/23 all but 24 schools will be done playing football and can concentrate 100% on Basketball.

After 11/30 only 12 teams will still be playing football.

AAU Basketball and summer baseball tourneys can interfere with football practice a lot more than football interferes with basketball. I say this because each and every school can be affected by this, the only teams affected by the football playoffs are the few schools that are lucky enough to advance in the playoffs.

Since most kids that play both sports are truly the best athletes in the school these are the guys best suited to over coming a few missed practices.

Thats why I like this new proposal about highschool teams not being able to compete against other teams in July. They get all that done in June. As for non-school AAU, (like Derek Smith teams) its not a school event so there is really nothing to be done about it.

Everyone getting in in basketball is nuts also. You have some districts seeded and others are not. Football has 6 divisions and basketball can't even get 2. Do you think Beechwood is going to feel as good about winning a State Championship without having to beat Newcath or Danville? They might win it every year forever.