Rules Question Help Needed

cshs81

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of years ago the NFHS put in a rule concerning this type of play. On every field there is supposed to be a 9 yd mark from the sidelines. Some field have them and some do not but they are supposed to be there. If the marks are not there then the official usually uses the large numbers marking the field. Anyway...... At some point AFTER the ready for play whistle has been brown by the referee, each player HAS to be inside of those 9 yd marks off the sideline. In other words, he can not stay on the sideline after a play nor can he just step onto the field from the sideline. He MUST be inside the 9yd mark at some point after the ready for play whistle has been blown.

I hope that clears it up for you!!!

So the key in my original play was when the ready whistle blew, right? Had the ready whistle blown and THEN the qb ran to the sideline but stopped, the play is legit, correct?

So the key in my original play was when the ready whistle blew, right? Had the ready whistle blown and THEN the qb ran to the sideline but stopped, the play is legit, correct?

I would have to see the play. Do you mean the WR instead on QB ran to the sideline and stopped? It's all determined by the ready for play whistle blown by the referee. After the ready for play has been blown, every player MUST be inside the 9 yd mark at some point. Obviously he does not have to stay inside the mark. Meaning a substitute can not just step onto the field and line up. He must go inside the 9 yd mark before he is an eligible player. If he does not go inside the mark, it is an illegal substitution penalty and the offense will be penalized 5 yds.

About the play you questioned above....... If the referee had blown the ready for play whistle before the player ran to the sideline, the play would be 100% legal.

The rule was put into effect for that sole purpose, to keep the offense from decepting by substituting a player directly onto the sideline.

Another thing about substitutions in HS......... I hear people all the time say.... "They broke the huddle with 12, They broke the huddle with 12". Well, that is not an infraction in HS football. No where in the rulebook does it say anything about breaking the huddle with 12 players.

For years Bellevue has used a similar play on punts to throw a pass.

What they do is appear to be ready to punt after an unsuccessful third down. A few players come on and a few come off.

One player (who was near the line of scrimmage) walks off towards ths sidelnes slowly and starts "arguing" with a coach about the last play. The coach and the player continue their argument while the team gets in punt formation. The player stops just before the sideline with his back to the field of play still yelling at the coach.

The coach simply yells "Go" when the ball is snapped and the player takes off down the sideline wide open.

For years Bellevue has used a similar play on punts to throw a pass.

What they do is appear to be ready to punt after an unsuccessful third down. A few players come on and a few come off.

One player (who was near the line of scrimmage) walks off towards ths sidelnes slowly and starts "arguing" with a coach about the last play. The coach and the player continue their argument while the team gets in punt formation. The player stops just before the sideline with his back to the field of play still yelling at the coach.

The coach simply yells "Go" when the ball is snapped and the player takes off down the sideline wide open.

Illegal play.

Rule 9-6-4...It is illegal participation:

d. To use a player, replaced player or substitute in a substitiution or pretended substitution to deceive opponents at or immediately before the snap or free kick.

15 yard penalty.

Another thing about substitutions in HS......... I hear people all the time say.... "They broke the huddle with 12, They broke the huddle with 12". Well, that is not an infraction in HS football. No where in the rulebook does it say anything about breaking the huddle with 12 players.

Substitutions: 11 players on offense. A sub comes onto the field, the player being replaced must leave the field immediately. If not, the WH or U will flag for illegal sub. If the ball is snapped and more than 11 O is on the field, you will have a 15 yard penalty for illegal participation.

The play to begin the thread is legal, 10 on the field, sub comes in and player goes near the sideline, is it deception? If an official deems that in their judgement you can use rule 10 but is highly unlikely to do so. As long as no deception is noted, this play is legal.

Ask some official in your area for their old rules books. I gave mine away but always keep the previous year to refer back. Hey, better, join the KHSAA and officiate.....:banana:

Substitutions:

The play to begin the thread is legal, 10 on the field, sub comes in and player goes near the sideline, is it deception?

I think I disagree; the answer is yes, it is most definitely a foul for deception. Please send me a pm.