You make the call...

UKCATSFAN

I used to watch a broadcast on TV called "You make the call" and I used to enjoy trying to test my knowledge. So, I'm going to try it on Preps for a bit of fun. I will post the correct response after hearing everyone opinion. This play was discussed at a KHSAA rules clinic in 2005.

With 00:05 seconds remaining in the game, Team A has the ball on Team B's 40 ydl with 4th down and 10. Team A's #22 runs to Team B's 10 ydl where he is hit. Before his knee touches the ground he pitches the ball forward to Team A's #25 at the 5ydl, who then runs the ball in the endzone for the touchdown with no time left on the clock. What will be the result of the play?

I used to watch a broadcast on TV called "You make the call" and I used to enjoy trying to test my knowledge. So, I'm going to try in on Preps for a bit of fun. I will post the correct response after hearing everyone opinion.

With 00:05 seconds remaining in the game, Team A has the ball on Team B's 40 ydl with 4th down and 10. Team A's #22 runs to Team B's 10 ydl where he is hit. Before his knee touches the ground he pitches the ball forward to Team A's #25 at the 5ydl, who then runs the ball in the endzone for the touchdown with no time left on the clock. What will be the result of the play?

Illegal forward pass. Penalty is marked off from point of violation. No Td Team B wins. Just a guess.

I used to watch a broadcast on TV called "You make the call" and I used to enjoy trying to test my knowledge. So, I'm going to try it on Preps for a bit of fun. I will post the correct response after hearing everyone opinion. This play was discussed at a KHSAA rules clinic in 2005.

Illegal forward pass. Pentalty whoever is winning the game at the end wins the game, period.

Illegal forward pass, 10yd penalty from previous spot and lose of down. With the lose of down on fourth down, the defense would take possession with no time left on the 50 yrd line and the game is over.

Normally if the defense excepts the penelty, the offense would get a untimed down, but with the lose of down the result of the penelty would be a turn over on downs, if there was not a score the defense would normally decline the penelty to end the game, but if the penelty is declined the play stands which is TD.

If it was ruled a fumble, on fourth down, the offensive player who fumbled has to recover it. Right?

A is penalized for an illegal forward pass at the spot of the foul. If B declines it is a TD. If B accepts the penalty would be marked off from the spot of the foul and it would be 1st and 10 for A at the B 15. However, since time expired the game would be over since loss of down fouls do not permit an untimed down.

:thumb:

Ok, let's say the play was 1st and 10. What's the answer now?

Illegal forward pass, 10yd penalty from previous spot and lose of down. With the lose of down on fourth down, the defense would take possession with no time left on the 50 yrd line and the game is over.

Normally if the defense excepts the penelty, the offense would get a untimed down, but with the lose of down the result of the penelty would be a turn over on downs, if there was not a score the defense would normally decline the penelty to end the game, but if the penelty is declined the play stands which is TD.

If it was ruled a fumble, on fourth down, the offensive player who fumbled has to recover it. Right?

If it was a fumble....yes but that's not the scenerio here. The penalty for illegal forward pass is 5 yds from the spot of the foul and loss of down.

Kenny Stabler to Dave Casper against the Chargers. The NFL made a ruling after it happened and the offense cannot advance the ball if they recover it. For High School and college I don't know.

Rule 7-5-4 : A forward pass, legal or illegal, is complete and the ball may be advanced when caught by any player of A or B.

Well, I didn't quite have the scenerio I wanted. I should have made the play 1st and 10 and that would have a few more people scratching their heads, I think. Everyone agrees with the penalty of illegal forward pass which is a 5 yd penalty and loss of down. The thing I thought most people would question was whether or not to extend the period for an untimed down since the penalty would most definately be accepted. It would have been a harder quiz if I had stated that it was 1st down instead of 4th. But anyway, as the rules state right now:

Rule 3-3-3: A period must be extended by an untimed down if during the last timed down of the period, one of the following occurs:

a. There was a foul by either team and the penalty is accepted, except for unsportsmanlike fouls, non-player fouls, and fouls that specify loss of down.

b. There was a double foul

c. There was an inadvertant whistle

d. If a TD was scored, the try is attempted unless the TD is scored during the last timed down of the period and the points would not affect the outcome of the game or affect playoff qualifying.

That is the rule right now but it has only been a rule since 2004. In 2003 during a very high profile playoff game in Pennslyvania a play very similiar to this determined the outcome of the game and thus led to the rule change. Before the change, if there was an accepted penalty then you must have an untimed down. During this play in Pennsylvania, the player was about to be tackled when he pitched the ball forward to a teammate. This teammate then ran in for the winning TD. The officials correctly called an illegal forward pass and a loss of down but the way the rules were written at that time the team who was penalized was given another opportunity with an untimed down. During this untimed down, the team scored on a legal forward pass and they won the game. I believe the team went on to win the state title in the upcoming weeks. The play led to the rule change which is the rule today.

Just thought some of you football buffs might find that interesting.

Well, I didn't quite have the scenerio I wanted. I should have made the play 1st and 10 and that would have a few more people scratching their heads, I think. Everyone agrees with the penalty of illegal forward pass which is a 5 yd penalty and loss of down. The thing I thought most people would question was whether or not to extend the period for an untimed down since the penalty would most definately be accepted. It would have been a harder quiz if I had stated that it was 1st down instead of 4th. But anyway, as the rules state right now:

Rule 3-3-3: A period must be extended by an untimed down if during the last timed down of the period, one of the following occurs:

a. There was a foul by either team and the penalty is accepted, except for unsportsmanlike fouls, non-player fouls, and fouls that specify loss of down.

d. If a TD was scored, the try is attempted unless the TD is scored during the last timed down of the period and the points would not affect the outcome of the game or affect playoff qualifying.

That is the rule right now but it has only been a rule since 2004. In 2003 during a very high profile playoff game in Pennslyvania a play very similiar to this determined the outcome of the game and thus led to the rule change. Before the change, if there was an accepted penalty then you must have an untimed down. During this play in Pennsylvania, the player was about to be tackled when he pitched the ball forward to a teammate. This teammate then ran in for the winning TD. The officials correctly called an illegal forward pass and a loss of down but the way the rules were written at that time the team who was penalized was given another opportunity with an untimed down. During this untimed down, the team scored on a legal forward pass and they won the game. I believe the team went on to win the state title in the upcoming weeks. The play led to the rule change which is the rule today.

Just thought some of you football buffs might find that interesting.

Thanks catsfan.

Lets say on the last playof the game, say a qb sneak, the offense is flagged for whatever the penalty is called where a player "aids" the runner by pushing him forward. Last play. It was 1st down. Also if it was 4th down.

What then? Does that penalty result in loss of down? Or do we an untimed down situation after the penalty is marked off?

Lets say on the last playof the game, say a qb sneak, the offense is flagged for whatever the penalty is called where a player "aids" the runner by pushing him forward. Last play. It was 1st down. Also if it was 4th down.

What then? Does that penalty result in loss of down? Or do we an untimed down situation after the penalty is marked off?

Can't the game end in with offensive penalty?