QUIET for the serve

I happened to catch wind of the BHS / NDA v-ball match were the ref had threatened to remove the BHS fans (kids supporting their fellow classmates) from the gym. Now, I don't know the rules of V-ball but I didn't think that it was similar to a golf match whereas a fan needed to be quiet at all times during the tee shot. Anyway, why the ref thought that it was so important is beyond me, but I would love to know, otherwise... I wish they would focus more on the game versus controlling the crowd. If you want to contol the crowd, join the police dept.

Every V-Ball game I have been to in the 14th region there has never been a ref tell students to be quite. I went to the Leslie/Hazard game tonight & students would scream/make cat calls from the time the girl got ready to serve until after & on into the volley. That's how it should be. Every sport besides golf has screaming/cat calling fans. I do not believe it's an actual rule but rather what the ref's think is right & wrong & it does not go like that.

I happened to catch wind of the BHS / NDA v-ball match were the ref had threatened to remove the BHS fans (kids supporting their fellow classmates) from the gym. Now, I don't know the rules of V-ball but I didn't think that it was similar to a golf match whereas a fan needed to be quiet at all times during the tee shot. Anyway, why the ref thought that it was so important is beyond me, but I would love to know, otherwise... I wish they would focus more on the game versus controlling the crowd. If you want to contol the crowd, join the police dept.

Our boys come and support the girls and we love it! For the record, our AD was standing by the boys to make sure they didnt get out of hand. They really were not that loud and certainly were not saying anything inappropriate to NDA. It was all good fun, and I think the refs should have left it alone.

Would have liked to see some Cov. Cath boys there supporting their sister school.

I would respect golf, tennis, and volleyball more if they were forced to hit the ball in the midst of yelling and screaming like in other sports. Reminds me of Shooter McGavin trying to hit with the gallery screaming and doing the wave in Happy Gilmore.

NOONAN!

I would respect golf, tennis, and volleyball more if they were forced to hit the ball in the midst of yelling and screaming like in other sports. Reminds me of Shooter McGavin trying to hit with the gallery screaming and doing the wave in Happy Gilmore.

They are...

I attended the NCC Simon Kenton vball game a few weeks ago and a ref said something to the Simon Kenton student section . Don't know what was said and I do know that it didn't quite them down . Their enthusiasm was great to witness.

Every V-Ball game I have been to in the 14th region there has never been a ref tell students to be quite. I went to the Leslie/Hazard game tonight & students would scream/make cat calls from the time the girl got ready to serve until after & on into the volley. That's how it should be. Every sport besides golf has screaming/cat calling fans. I do not believe it's an actual rule but rather what the ref's think is right & wrong & it does not go like that.

I was at a 14th region game this year and had a student beside me hollering. She was told, by the ref that this was breaking a rule of volleyball, to holler during a serve. He told her to be quiet or he would ask her to leave the gym. If this is a rule, I think it's stupid and needs to be changed. I also think changing sides, with inside volleyball is also stupid.

I agree on the changing sides, but the noise during serves can get out of hand. I have been to games where the other fans start yelling the server's name. You gotta agree this shouldn't be allowed.

I really have never understood the whole switching sides either. As for yelling during the serve, if a player is concentrating on the game, the whole noise element shouldn't matter. Just the same as a basketball player at the foul line, should we quiet the gym for them too????

I was at a 14th region game this year and had a student beside me hollering. She was told, by the ref that this was breaking a rule of volleyball, to holler during a serve. He told her to be quiet or he would ask her to leave the gym. If this is a rule, I think it's stupid and needs to be changed. I also think changing sides, with inside volleyball is also stupid.
Why do they Change sides with " inside " basketball ? Is that stupid ?

I really have never understood the whole switching sides either. As for yelling during the serve, if a player is concentrating on the game, the whole noise element shouldn't matter. Just the same as a basketball player at the foul line, should we quiet the gym for them too????

:thumb:

Beechwood's students have been warned many times this year for there cheering and yelling. Personally i think its great that they get a great turn out for the games and they should be allowed to cheer. It is similar to basketball, you have your home court advantage. There are no rules in basketball saying you cant yell during a free throw, so let the students yell all they want during a serve.

Beechwood's students have been warned many times this year for there cheering and yelling. Personally i think its great that they get a great turn out for the games and they should be allowed to cheer. It is similar to basketball, you have your home court advantage. There are no rules in basketball saying you cant yell during a free throw, so let the students yell all they want during a serve.

I would love to know who the official was at the Beechwood game. At a St. Henry match a couple weeks ago, the referee gave the JV Presentation coach a yellow card, then gave him another one. First of all, from my understanding, 2 yellow cards is not valid. The second should have been red, and he should have been out of the gym. On top of that, the ref didn't have a "YELLOW" card, so he actually lifted up his white rule book, to symbolize the yellow card. Nobody knew what he was doing.

Then (getting back to the point of this thread), he continually warned the fans for being rowdy. This was an older gentlemen (55ish) with scraggling greying hair.

Does this describe the ref at the beechwood game??

Switching sides is certainly a good idea. There are many gyms where there are differences between one side and the other. One side may have HVAC duct work that hangs a little lower on one side, or a stationary basketball goal that is very close to the service line on one end of the floor while the other side is retractable or lifts into the rafters. I have seen courts where the sun glares into the through windows at one side of the net causing a disadvantage. Switching sides is simple and the best way to assure equal conditions on both sides of the net. Why not do it?

As far as yelling during serves. Fans yelling during a serve is probably no different than fans yelling at a free throw shooter. I have seen coaches and players on the bench yell during serves and that's Bush League.