Adam Dunn what to do with him

Some good articles in the Sunday Enquirer about Dunner.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070930/SPT04/309300004/-1/back01

"Who was the greatest baseball hero in Cincinnati? For a lot of fans, at least up to my generation, it was Pete Rose: a scrappy, hustling, guy who didn't strike out much, didn't have a whole lot of power, and got lots of base hits. He wasn't the best player in baseball, and often wasn't the best player on the Reds team, but he was the hero.

"Adam Dunn is in many ways the complete opposite. He's huge, doesn't look like he's hustling much on the field (though he's durable as heck, which he gets no credit for...played through the 2005 season with a broken hand!), strikes out a ton, has tons of power, and often gets almost as many extra base hits as he does singles. I think he's good at exactly those things that Cincinnati fans somehow have decided aren't important. Even if they do help win ballgames.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070930/SPT04/309300003/-1/back01

"One ... characteristic of all bad teams (and their fans) is that they focus on the shortcomings of their best players instead of the real weaknesses of the team.

"Remember when the prevailing opinion was that the Reds couldn't hope to win with Eric Davis because he kept getting hurt? Since the retirement of Larkin, Dunn/Griffey are the face of the franchise and Dunn catches all of the heat because Griffey is still Jr. in many fans minds.

" The Brennamans' constant carping of his weaknesses make him more of a lightning rod. In fact, one of the things from a distance that is interesting is that after the Cunningham incident, the criticism seemed to dry up.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070930/SPT04/309300002/-1/back01

"Adam Dunn is a unique player; there is really nobody out there quite like him. In talking to teams, I've found that yeah, a lot of teams teams would love to have him, but others wouldn't touch him."

"The home runs, the walks, the strikeouts are all part of his uniqueness. Two out of those three things are special, but he's a defensive liability so that neutralizes some of that production a little bit."

And the best of the articles

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070930/SPT04/709300386/-1/back01

"You mention Adam Dunn, and you'll get calls all over the map - 'keep him,' 'get rid of him,' 'let him walk,' " Broo says. "I've only done the show since May, but it's startling what a lightning rod he is."

When it comes to his performance on the field, Dunn accepts as "part of the game" that he is going to be critiqued on Reds radio and TV broadcasts and on sports talk shows. He doesn't listen but says that people pass along the radio and TV criticism to him, even though he tells them he doesn't want to hear it.

"It's like 12-year-old girls in middle school trying to stir up trouble," Dunn says. "It doesn't work with me because I really don't care."

The $13 million option is a lot of money for someone who is not seen as a complete player - Dunn probably will never win a Gold Glove for his defense - but very much in line for a player with Dunn's offensive production. In his last four seasons, Dunn has hit at least 40 home runs. During that time he has 401 RBI.

Brantley said he's changed his opinion of Dunn after watching him over the course of a full season.

"Big-time," he said. "I've had an opportunity to watch him through thick and thin. After taking away all of the perceptions I had of him, and giving him a fresh start and saying (to myself) after the All-Star break, 'What kind of ballplayer would I rate this guy?' my rating is, 'Impressive.' "

Marty Brennaman, who has not minced words when it has come to critiquing Dunn's game, also said his view of the player has changed. Brennaman said he's impressed that Dunn, who had arthroscopic knee surgery last week, played with knee pain the past two seasons and never let on publicly.

"I'm not so sure that the knee wasn't bothering him a helluva lot longer than he let on," Brennaman said. "And you know something? If this team were playing for something right now, he'd be in the lineup."

He was appreciative, however, when a reporter mentioned what Marty Brennaman had said about him being a gamer.

"That means a lot, too," says Dunn, nodding.

"In the short time I've been here, I've found (Dunn) to be an outgoing, just a nice guy," Thom Brennaman says. "But I'm not sure if any of the fans have seen him really warm to being a Red. I don't know why that is, and that might be completely inaccurate.

"But it seems to me a guy like him could have really owned this town because he has such an engaging personality. ... I've thought this about a lot of different players in a lot of different towns: If the players never make it feel like they want to be one with the fans, the fans are not going to treat them like they are. I think the fans want to see that Adam wants to be a Red forever. They want to feel like he wants to be here."

Glad to see Marty let up on Dunn. It seems like a few people that a lot of people listen to in this town have been bashing Dunn all year leading people to follow what they are saying. Those 2 would be Marty and Lance. It really is a joke how people can say what they do about the guy. He is an elite player bottom line.

What do we do with him??

Simple sign him to a 5 year $60 Million contract.

It's going to take more than 12 mill per year. I think 5 year $80 million would be good for both parties.

I am for that BUT, with the budget as is and the Reds as they are, are we talking about Dunn in a few years as they talked about Larkin and Jr and how their contracts prevent the Reds from signing other players?

If they would have extended him before the season he would have been a lot cheaper than he will be now. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

There will be no hometown discount, that I can say with confidence. He wants to be here (in spite of his treatment by many fans), but he isn't going to de-leverage himself to do so.

If they would have extended him before the season he would have been a lot cheaper than he will be now. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

There will be no hometown discount, that I can say with confidence. He wants to be here (in spite of his treatment by many fans), but he isn't going to de-leverage himself to do so.

I'm still not sold that they go w/ 3 left handed hitting outfielders for the next 2-3 years. I hope they can get him signed to a long term deal, but I doubt it happens.

They better get Phillips signed to a long term deal soon, or they'll be in the same boat in a few years.

I'm still not sold that they go w/ 3 left handed hitting outfielders for the next 2-3 years. I hope they can get him signed to a long term deal, but I doubt it happens.

They better get Phillips signed to a long term deal soon, or they'll be in the same boat in a few years.

Unless you feel you can get fair value in return, if you're bailing on a LH hitter, its JR.

He has arbitration this year I think.

Pickup his option. In hindsight, I'm glad the Reds didn't deal away this year. (There I said it HSSB!) Pickup his option, if things flounder by July 08 trade him or pickup the option then shop him this offseason.

I'm fine with keeping him if they go after some pitching via a trade, which would mean dealing key player with a high ceiling/low money, such as Josh Hamilton in a combo deal with other dead weight like Freel, Ross, Gonzo...

Unless you feel you can get fair value in return, if you're bailing on a LH hitter, its JR.

I agree, but they can get close to nothing for JR at this point. I hope they keep Dunn for the next 5+ years. I don't see it happening if they keep Hamilton, Bruce, & Votto for the future and Jr for the next couple years.

Keep Dunn and let JR go. I think the Reds need to keep Dunn, Hamilton, Hopper, Bruce and Freel for the Outfield. Infield keep Kepinger, Phillips, Encarncion (sp?), Votto , and Cantu. Pitching is where the Reds need to clean house. Keep Harang, Arroyo, then have Bailey, Livingston, and Shearn as the top 5 starters. Move Ramierez to middle relief. Keep Bray also. All other pitchers should be let go. Take the money after JR is gone and go get some pitching.