McCreary Central 16 Madison Southern 14

HT721

175 yards of penalties for Southern

145 yards of penalties for McCreary (including two touchdowns called back).

That doesn't sound like cheating to me. Thirty-yard differences happen A LOT.

Southern wasn't rattled? After being moved back by consecutive personal fouls, the quarterback was sacked two consecutive times for losses. That sounds rattled to me.

:thumb: Exactly what I was thinking. It's not like Southern is Trinity to begin with. Play hard and get through it no matter what happens.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Against Harrison...Madison Southern had a kid penalized for punching a player in the pile, but not thrown out.

Later on that drive, a cheap shot 10 seconds after the play knocked a Harrison player out of the game and resulted in a Southern player being ejected.

After the game Harrison Coach Graham wisely had his boys (and girl) go to the opposing end zone rather than take a chance in an altercation. I say this not so much to condemn MSHS, but rather prepare their next opponents.

Yes, first time we have ever played there. Southern was dominating in the first quarter, easily scored 2 Tds, then the flags were on Southern about every single drive. The first quarter was rolling on with southern scoring, then when the refs got controlling the game, the first half of the game lasted one an hour and 15 minutes, and it just got worse. Like I said, 195 yards of penalties against southern on McCrearys field. It was very disgusting and many of the fans were just wanting the coach to load the team on the bus and leave McCreary but of course they didn't (and shouldn't)do that, but the refs wouldn't let them play and gave the game to McCreary . Southern beat themselves when they played Rockastle, their other district game, and let themselves get beat the other games this season and were frustrated with themselves, but not this game. They aren't even hanging their heads about this one. Nothing they could do would have got them this win.

Harrison dominated them 35-7 at their house on homecoming.

Harrison dominated them 35-7 at their house on homecoming.

Like I said, they have let themselves get beat and they didn't complain at the refs that game either. Southern didn't have 175 yards of penalties when Harrison beat them either. Obviously they werent' playing well. that's my point. They are better than McCreary, they were beating their butt, then the refs got involved, called 175 yards of penalties on Southern and let MC beat them by 2 points.

175 yards of penalties for Southern

145 yards of penalties for McCreary (including two touchdowns called back).

That doesn't sound like cheating to me. Thirty-yard differences happen A LOT.

Southern wasn't rattled? After being moved back by consecutive personal fouls, the quarterback was sacked two consecutive times for losses. That sounds rattled to me.

There is no way McCreary hads 145 yards on penalties. And Southern had Tds called back too.

And it was when Southern was about to score, then the flags would start and KEEP them from scoring! MC qb was sacked too, so what's the point about that anyway? I didn't say a word either about MC players, I only complained about the effect the refs had on this game. But hopefully this thread will close, because we are on to a new game...Williamsburg at Southern.

There is no way McCreary hads 145 yards on penalties. And Southern had Tds called back too.

And it was when Southern was about to score, then the flags would start and KEEP them from scoring! MC qb was sacked too, so what's the point about that anyway? I didn't say a word either about MC players, I only complained about the effect the refs had on this game. But hopefully this thread will close, because we are on to a new game...Williamsburg at Southern.

But regardless if MC had that many penalties, the total of penalties would be320 yards of penalties in the game, so the point is the refs would not let this game be determined by the teams. There was NO complaints about the players and coaches on MC team, my complaint was with those REFs who would not let this game be determined by the teams. But like I said, on to next Friday, and actually it's Southern to Williamsburg.

From a person who was not at the game and has not seen either team play this year.

If there were 320 yards in penalties called then there were probably more that went uncalled. 175-145, certainly that is alot of penalties, but if the refs called them then they happened. It sounds like the refs did their job and the kids DID settle it on the field just with alot of penalties, hey its part of the game. If you don't want the penalties called disipline your team not to commit the infactions.

Congrats to the Raiders on a big district win.

This is an unfortunate incident which is becoming a big problem across the state - the lack of quality referees. I was an official for several years and I try to encourage everyone that I feel has a solid football background to call games in their area. It is a thankless job and yes many times games can look like they are onesided. I used to joke that I was from where ever I was calling that night. I don't think these officals were "homers" I think they were not very good and have not worked on the mechanics of calling a game. It is more than knowing the rules and what to call, but how to call a game. I was taught to let the players decide the game. The best games are the ones that you don't notice the refs. I also know that when things aren't going well for a team, the refs can be a viable scapegoats. I don't believe that Mad. Southern didn't deserve ALL of those 175 yards called, and from reading this, it sounded like a loss of control and frustration led to many of those yards. I think that as a fan you can only see the calls that went against your team or the ones that they missed that would have helped your team. and so it goes...

This is an unfortunate incident which is becoming a big problem across the state - the lack of quality referees. I was an official for several years and I try to encourage everyone that I feel has a solid football background to call games in their area. It is a thankless job and yes many times games can look like they are onesided. I used to joke that I was from where ever I was calling that night. I don't think these officals were "homers" I think they were not very good and have not worked on the mechanics of calling a game. It is more than knowing the rules and what to call, but how to call a game. I was taught to let the players decide the game. The best games are the ones that you don't notice the refs. I also know that when things aren't going well for a team, the refs can be a viable scapegoats. I don't believe that Mad. Southern didn't deserve ALL of those 175 yards called, and from reading this, it sounded like a loss of control and frustration led to many of those yards. I think that as a fan you can only see the calls that went against your team or the ones that they missed that would have helped your team. and so it goes...

I agree with you Capn' and i think that refs only throw flags on what they see but there is also a thing called "a good no call". I have coached for 21 years and in that time I also have been a ref from time to time. There are times when you don't call certain things that has no bearing on a particular play, this allows the game to flow and doesn't put the spot light on the ref crew. At this particular game the refs were flag happy, not saying they didn't see the infractions that they called, I'm just saying they probably didn't have to call everything they called. The game was a good game and I know that Qb7footballfan thinks that madison was a better team and he/she is a fan and should feel that way. Madison definately jumped out to an early lead but McCreary mad several adjustments on defense to slow them down and Madison had no answer for the Raiders offense, the only time the Raiders offense stalled was when the fumbled or had some pemalties. The Raiders were playing a power-run type offense after the 1st quarter where they only wanted to pick up 3-4 yards a play x 3 = 1st down. So, any penalty that they received would hstop there game plan. I have to disagree with the fact that Madison was a much better team because that simply isn't true. Madison is a very good football team but so is McCreary. I think people are just having a hard time realizing that McCreary is working hard to improve their football program and their efforts are starting to pay off and they are not the easy win of the past. Do refs change how some games are played? Absolutely buit the refs didn't decide this game McCreary played through the diversity and won the game. We have lost a player because he retaliated after being punched by an opposing player and we chewed his butt for retaliating. We didn't blame Madison's player because it was a war out there and sometimes players lose control, obviously our player was one of them and we pointed out to him how that hurts the team. This was a good game and both teams played as hard as they could and it is definately ashame that the officials were passing out laundry like it was a sale at Wal-marts but that is just part of the game. If McCreary wasn't a good team non of that would have mattered. Again, good luck to Madison So with their seaon I am sure they will be ready for the Burg on Friday!

Gentlemen, I don't officiate games in your region and don't know any officials who do. Furthermore, I haven't seen the game film and don't expect to. But I have to chime in on this thread:

The guys in stripes who officiated this game may (or may not) have been qualified to work the Sugar Bowl, but I GUARANTEE you that they couldn't care less who won or lost. Your criticism of individual calls may (or may not) be accurate but your accusations of widespread oficiating malfeasance are irresponsible.

Please teach your children and their peers to have class and overcome adversity despite the perceived disadvantages that may be standing in their way. Please win with grace and lose with respect.

Boo an official's call if you must, but please teach your children to respect us.