Mercer Co.14 Greeneville, TN 9

jrider111

First of all, hats off to Greeneville. They are a very good team and obviously were very well coached, as well. This one was a full 12 round, heavyweight, knockdown, drag out..fight until the end.

Greeneville had a great combination of size and speed, IMO. Their little halfback could flat fly, among other strengths that they had. Everyone knows that Mercer doesn't have the same speed that they had last year, or even close, to be exact. Mercer tonite, though, showed something that is very promising...they put together some drives that flat wore out Greeneville, I thought.

Mercer's 1st score came on an 80 yard drive that took over 8 minutes of the second quarter. They had another 78 yard, time consuming drive that came up 2 yards short. Even though Mercer didn't score, I think that it still took a lot of Greeneville, on their defensive side, if nothing else. It was classic "smashmouth" football, and it didn't matter if Mercer was in the shotgun or in the wishbone.

This Mercer bunch showed something tonite, against a very good football team. The defense was lights out, the offensive line played very well, the secondary showed out, Jordan Yeast had a great game, Trevor Short (QB) stepped up HUGE. Trevor had a couple big runs early in the game, then threw a couple picks, but on that TD pass with :36 left in the game, he threaded the needle. John T. Linton ran a great route on the TD and made a great catch in traffic. This 2007 version of the Titans definately have a lot of things to work on, but then again, whe the heck doesnt after 2 weeks into the season..especially when all of your "skill" kids are only into their 2nd week ever of starting!!??

Jordan Yeast ran like a man possessed tonite. His leadership and play has really stepped up. Tonite was his nite. McCloud and Griffith did a great job when they got their carries, too...but that's what happens when you have 3 very capable running backs and a talented QB, but you only have one ball for each play. Unfortunately, all four of them can't get the ball every play. Tonite happened to be Jordan's nite and here is guessing that Griffith, McCloud, Yeast and Short might just share the year by committe. All will get their carries in the game, and one or two of them will have the "stuff" that nite and two will get the short end of the stick (as far as carries go), so-to-speak.

Congrats on the win and keep working hard!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought that last drive was just clutch. I mean the game was on the line. They will lose sooner or later this year. It could have easily been tonight. But those kids stepped up. They just made some huge plays down the stretch. That is going to help them as they play on through this season. Last week I was worried cause I saw a timid team. With all the new starters that's to be expected. But, against the team from Tennessee they showed some toughness. Great game!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Jordan Yeast has shown himself to be a capable runner. However, I'd like to see us utilize McCloud more as a receiver and take advantage of his speed. Why not split him out and throw the fade to him every now and then and give his speed a shot in some one one one situations? At least this might take an extra man out of the box to provide coverage help.

I think Jordan Yeast has shown himself to be a capable runner. However, I'd like to see us utilize McCloud more as a receiver and take advantage of his speed. Why not split him out and throw the fade to him every now and then and give his speed a shot in some one one one situations? At least this might take an extra man out of the box to provide coverage help.

Matthew has been split out some and he will be more. When Mercer goes to the gun, if McCloud isn't playing at a halfback, he's split out(for example, last week when he caught the TD grab in the corner of the endzone v.s Russell Co) When Mercer got in the wishbone last nite, they did go with one TE and one split, a lot. Brett Cecil, Jordan Taylor and Tyler Horn were getting the reps at TE and John T. Linton was split out, for that reason, to get a man or two out of the box...on top of being a playmaker (see last nites TD and the one last week v.s Russell Co.).

Yes, he has been split out. I'm just saying that I'd like to see him utilized as more of a vertical threat in the passing game. Not criticism, just an observation. I think the Mercer staff did a great job with the last drive and finding a way to get it done.

Yes, he has been split out. I'm just saying that I'd like to see him utilized as more of a vertical threat in the passing game. Not criticism, just an observation. I think the Mercer staff did a great job with the last drive and finding a way to get it done.

Oh, I know..wasn't thinking criticism at all.:thumb: Truth be told, on Short's first INT, he was trying to hit McCloud on a vertical route; Trevor just under threw him somehow. But, boy did he make up for it on that last drive!!:thumb:

Personally I think Griffith and McCloud need more touches.

I'm proud of the Mercer boys. They never quit.

Don't understand why we didn't kick a fieldgoal on 4th and 1 from the two in a 9-7 ballgame.

Hats off to Greeneville, they are very well coached.

I heard that the kicker hadn't been there all week to practice because of soccer.

I would really like to know time of posesion in this game. I just looked at the box score. Mercer ran 65 offensive plays, and Greeneville ran only 35 plays. I was impressed with the defense at the game. I'm even more impressed after looking at the box score. Greenville managed only 5 first downs, 2 of those came on penalties (one very questionable pass interference call). They turned Greenville over 4 times (2 int and 2 fumbles). 144 total yards.

Offensively Mercer needs to eliminate their own turnovers. 2 int and 1 fumble, and kick coverage needs work. Have to eliminate penalties.

G...........................MC

First Downs

Rushes

21-104................56-238

Passing

Total Yards

Comp-Att-Int

2-14-2.................3-9-2

Fumbles - Lost

0-2 ......................2-1

Penalties

6-65....................7-70

Coldweather I am with you, to be successful, I believe Nathan and Matthew have to have alot more touches.

Horn and Buster had huge games, they could play anywhere. Horn really showed good leadership. He's from a long line of Mercer Co LB's.

Lincoln game should be a dandy

Agreed Buster and Horn both stepped it up... cant wait to see what they will do vs Lincoln! The backfield looked decent Jordan Yeast had a great game he was clicking that night the others werent as much. Dont get me wrong they are all good but tonight was Jordan's game. Congratulations on the W good luck next week Vs. Lincoln. They seem to have a pretty decent team

Agreed Buster and Horn both stepped it up... cant wait to see what they will do vs Lincoln! The backfield looked decent Jordan Yeast had a great game he was clicking that night the others werent as much. Dont get me wrong they are all good but tonight was Jordan's game. Congratulations on the W good luck next week Vs. Lincoln. They seem to have a pretty decent team

Exactly. If there is an "issue" so-to-speak with having a few very capable, talented ball carriers.....it's having only ONE ball, for each play. The nite happened to be Jordan's nite, and he did a fine job.:thumb:

Exactly. If there is an "issue" so-to-speak with having a few very capable, talented ball carriers.....it's having only ONE ball, for each play. The nite happened to be Jordan's nite, and he did a fine job.:thumb:

It was Jordan's night because he was given the ball twice as much as the other backs. Last year, that was not a problem at all. Ford and Jackson (the 2 backs) had about the same amount of carries each game. Griffith and McCloud are just as good and should be given the chance to show what they can do. They can't do that if one back is given the ball 32 times and they are only given it 15 or less. If the fans see what is going on, a coach should be able to see that. If this team is going to be successful in the long run - ALL of the backs are going to have to do the job - not just the one selected for a specific night.

It was Jordan's night because he was given the ball twice as much as the other backs. Last year, that was not a problem at all. Ford and Jackson (the 2 backs) had about the same amount of carries each game. Griffith and McCloud are just as good and should be given the chance to show what they can do. They can't do that if one back is given the ball 32 times and they are only given it 15 or less. If the fans see what is going on, a coach should be able to see that. If this team is going to be successful in the long run - ALL of the backs are going to have to do the job - not just the one selected for a specific night.

It's always something, isn't it?! There's no pleasing some "fans".