SECond to none

youknowme

No question, the SEC is the top dog. The talent, speed and depth on each team add up to a brutal season where a national championship is second behind winning the SEC title.

http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10319033

Talent + money + obsession = dominant football in SEC

How tough is the SEC?

"The national championship game was a bonus game," said Florida safety Tony Joiner of his team's march to the 2006 conference title.

How tough is the SEC?

"They really haven't played football," Joiner said of his freshman teammates. "They don't know what a season in the SEC is like."

How tough is the SEC?

It has never been tougher, actually. When Florida players were asked about a repeat this offseason, they thought first of defending the school's seventh SEC title since 1990.

The program's second national championship in 10 years? That would be nice, too.

"People are asking us all the time on campus, 'Are we going to repeat?'" Joiner said. "I just tell them we're trying to get back to Atlanta this year (site of the SEC title game). I think the fans will be satisfied if we get back to Atlanta."

The assignment was to write about the nation's No. 1 football conference. It's arguably the No. 1 story in college football this season. Yes, the SEC is good. You knew that. But something happened in the past few years, maybe in the past few months, which pointed out a more disturbing trend: The SEC rules our lives. We live by its rules, try to keep up with its recruiting, are amazed by its pay scale and play by its tempo. What is it they say: There is speed, and then there is SEC speed?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it make UK fans feel better to be so bad at football but play in a tough conference? I never got that. Can someone explain it to me. I'm being serious.

I just never hear this from any other conferece unless they are being ripped on for having a weak schedule.

Yet every year, someone points out, for no reason, that the SEC is tough, ok. We get it, it's the biggest conference in the country, there are, of course, going to be some really good teams. Doesn't mean you are one of them.

Wait... so now the SEC is only good because they have 12 teams?

Not what I said at all.

We get it, it's the biggest conference in the country, there are, of course, going to be some really good teams.

So what exactely are you saying?

I think up until last year most rational UK fans thought we were bad. I didn't renew my season tickets after Ohio beat us that was about as bad a UK team as I had seen. I didn't see any mention of UK in this thread and as always a UL fan gets on here and takes a shot at either the SEC or UK.

How about you answer one of my questions....

We bring it up because the bottom teams in the league are regularly producing 1st round draft picks.

Its tough when you're putting 1st round QBs into the league and thats still not enough talent to win your division, let alone the conference.

I think up until last year most rational UK fans thought we were bad. I didn't renew my season tickets after Ohio beat us that was about as bad a UK team as I had seen. I didn't see any mention of UK in this thread and as always a UL fan gets on here and takes a shot at either the SEC or UK.
I asked a legit question, what's the problem?

Why are UK fans the only ones ever to bring up how tough there conference is or how weak another's conference is?

We bring it up because the bottom teams in the league are regularly producing 1st round draft picks.

Its tough when you're putting 1st round QBs into the league and thats still not enough talent to win your division, let alone the conference.

Why do no other teams ever do this?

Why do we never hear Texas fans bringing up how tough the Big 12 is? USC and the Pac 10? Michigan and the Big 10?

I'm being serious, not trying to take shots, why do UK fans feel the need to bring it up all the time?