Title IX and private schools question

I know Private schools have to follow Title IX guidelines. Correct?

But why? If they do not have to follow the rules of the KY Dept of Ed with their academic side with CATS testing, portfolio, etc, etc, why do they have to follow Title IX? Is it because they choose to be involved with the governmental agency of the KY Dept of Ed in the form of the KHSAA?

No sinister point to my question, no underlying theme here. Just an honest question about why the government makes them follow one guideline for schools and not the other.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most private schools receive some sort of federal funding. For example if they participate in the free and reduced lunch program they receive federal funds. Also public schools must give a percentage of their federal programs money to the private schools in their district. So by receiving federal funds they must meet all federal guidelines outlined.

Also.....by belonging to the KHSAA they must follow the KHSAA rules which require Title IX compliance.

Most private schools receive some sort of federal funding. For example if they participate in the free and reduced lunch program they receive federal funds. Also public schools must give a percentage of their federal programs money to the private schools in their district. So by receiving federal funds they must meet all federal guidelines outlined.

Also.....by belonging to the KHSAA they must follow the KHSAA rules which require Title IX compliance.

On the last, that is what I thought.

On the former, wow, I did not know that. Does that mean you guys have to do the "No child Left Behind" stuff?

On the last, that is what I thought.

On the former, wow, I did not know that. Does that mean you guys have to do the "No child Left Behind" stuff?

LBBC, I'm not sure about the federal funding part. I'm sending an e-mail to an administrator to verify that information.

As to requirements by the KDE for graduation requirements of private high schools, the requirement is that a certain number of pre-college curriculum credits be earned in certain disciplines in order to graduate.

The requirements are:

English-4 credits

Math-3 credits Algebra 1, II, Geometry

Science-3 credits Life Science, Physical Science, & Earth/Space science (at least 1 lab course)

Social Studies-3 credits from History, Econ, Got, World Geography etc.

Foreign Language-2 credits

Health-1/2 credit

PE-1/2 credit

History & Appreciation of Visual/Performing Arts 1 Credits

Electivies-5 credits

Total credits to meet KY PCC requirements-22

At Trinity the graduation requirements must earn 24 credits, including, 3 credits in Theology, and all students must take the ACT at the endo of the junior year, or in the senior year.

The private schools followed Title IX before there was a Title IX because it was the right thing to do . Girls sports in many private schools have a great tradition going back years . They did not have to be persuaded to do what is right and fair .

LBBC, I'm not sure about the federal funding part. I'm sending an e-mail to an administrator to verify that information.

As to requirements by the KDE for graduation requirements of private high schools, the requirement is that a certain number of pre-college curriculum credits be earned in certain disciplines in order to graduate.

The requirements are:

English-4 credits

Math-3 credits Algebra 1, II, Geometry

Science-3 credits Life Science, Physical Science, & Earth/Space science (at least 1 lab course)

Social Studies-3 credits from History, Econ, Got, World Geography etc.

Foreign Language-2 credits

Health-1/2 credit

PE-1/2 credit

History & Appreciation of Visual/Performing Arts 1 Credits

Electivies-5 credits

Total credits to meet KY PCC requirements-22

At Trinity the graduation requirements must earn 24 credits, including, 3 credits in Theology, and all students must take the ACT at the endo of the junior year, or in the senior year.

Who pays for the ACT? My understanding is that publics are going to have to start requiring it and will have to pick up the costs, especially for those on free and reduced lunch.

Thanks for the info. Seems similar to what ours do except, I believe we have gone to 4 credits of math. And of course no theology but the religion of evolution. :sssh: ;):p

Who pays for the ACT? My understanding is that publics are going to have to start requiring it and will have to pick up the costs, especially for those on free and reduced lunch.

Thanks for the info. Seems similar to what ours do except, I believe we have gone to 4 credits of math. And of course no theology but the religion of evolution. :sssh: ;):p

We (families) pay for it.

http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/edo/faq.htm#10

Q. Do federal anti-discrimination laws extend to private schools?

A. If a school is private, it is not covered by Title IV. If, however, it received federal funds, it is subject to the federal statutes prohibiting discrimination by federal fund recipients: Title VI, Title IX, Section 504. Private schools are also covered by Title III of the ADA.

Just to clarify a private school can choose not to accept any federal funds. However all the ones I know do accept the Title funds that are given to them although sometimes it may be only a few hundred dollars.

To clarify No Child Left Behind only applies to those schools that accept Title I money and are a school wide title one school (provide services for all kids); then they have to follow NCLB. No private school would receive enough funds to qualify as a school wide Title I school thus would never have to do this.

Interesting fact on NCLB:

If you have three schools in your district and you give all your Title I funds to one school the other two schools do not have to meet NCLB requirements. Now they get a report telling them if the meet the requirements but the government cannot and will not penalize them or give them "further things to do" since they are not a Title I school.

My understanding and I could be wrong here, is that the great legislators in Frankfort are requiring it and the locals will have to pony up some of the costs but no funding from the state is provided for it.
Why in heavens name should there be ? What is wrong with the parents of the public school students paying for their kids ACT or SAT test ?

Why in heavens name should there be ? What is wrong with the parents of the public school students paying for their kids ACT or SAT test ?

When you require things in the public school setting and the free/reduced crowd cannot pay for it, someone is going to have to.

I am not saying it is right, just saying how it works. Also, your local school district IS NOT the one that has put this through. Just gives us ANOTHER thing to be responsibile for when the parents are not.

The politicians want ANOTHER test to use to compare our students with students in other parts of the country. It is important to know, I guess, how our students in Rabbit Hash, KY are matching up with those in Fairbanks, Alaska.:rolleyes:

If I want to take either one of them I will pay for it, but if you make me take and I hadn't planned on it, wasn't in the cards, going out of state so I'm taking the SAT . . . they why should I pay for it?

If I want to take either one of them I will pay for it, but if you make me take and I hadn't planned on it, wasn't in the cards, going out of state so I'm taking the SAT . . . they why should I pay for it?

Forgive us in the Private school sector....we're used to paying for everything whether it's required or voluntary! :D It's really funny how much we don't mind paying if we're told to pay. :D