Is it the HS coach's job?

BR-

How sad, or should I say ridiculuous, is that? How the heck can a college football coach recruit without video? There are limited recruiting days, and most of them are when HS kids are not playing. That is a very unfortunate series of events, and your son's coaches are badly misinformed. BADLY.

Should have shot the gosh darn video yourself!

From email...

just curious, seems to me i've watched some really good ball players over the yrs. but never really got recruited much. i know a athlete should try to sell themselves, but how far will they go without coaches help, be it any division? i mean some coaches go gung ho, but some have laid back attitude or are to busy.

NSR, I help the kids who ASK me for help, I think that's important to realize as well. I've had parents accuse me of "doing nothing for their kid", AFTER the fact, and neither the kid or parents asked me for help. Any kid who has asked for my help has gotten it.

Well said, coach. A student-athlete certainly has to know what they want, and ask accordingly. Now that you brought up the "asking" part, I am curious...how do you handle the situations when a player asks for help, but in your heart you don't really believe that athlete has college-level ability?

I will (and have, and am currently) steer them towards smaller schools camps/showcases and see if a smaller college coach feels if their ability warrants a look. I don't ever let my say the final as to whether the kid gets a shot at college. I am honest with them and tell them where I feel their ability is at this point. I also tell them that if they have some ability and will work diligently at the sport, chances arre they will at least get a shot to walk on somewhere. But please, to any players out there, if you want your coach's help, ASK FOR IT. Colleges usually don't come knocking on our door asking for players.

I will (and have, and am currently) steer them towards smaller schools camps/showcases and see if a smaller college coach feels if their ability warrants a look. I don't ever let my say the final as to whether the kid gets a shot at college. I am honest with them and tell them where I feel their ability is at this point. I also tell them that if they have some ability and will work diligently at the sport, chances arre they will at least get a shot to walk on somewhere. But please, to any players out there, if you want your coach's help, ASK FOR IT. Colleges usually don't come knocking on our door asking for players.

Something you and I agree on AKW.

I certainly think the coach should get involved, but ONLY after the season is over!

The coach should be involved during the season. to get that athlete looked at during games. Why when the season is over? I agree that after the season the coach should help all he can getting the athlete looked at and into showcases.

The coach should only play a role in steering the student athlete in the right direction. Players need to market themselves to get their name out there. Don't get me wrong, I think the coach is important, but the kid has to do some work to get noticed as well. Those that sit back and wait for it to happen tend to get passed by.

As a HS coach, I would say it is most definitely the coaches job and obligation to see that an athlete has the opportunity to play college ball...the coach has a much more knowledgeable idea as to what level of play the athlete has a chance of being successful at...the problem arises when the athlete and /or family disagrees and thinks the athlete is capable of playing at a higher level...at my school we have been fortunate in that over 90% of graduating seniors who have wanted to continue playing have had an opportunity to do so...and they were not all Div-1 players...and that is the key...there is somewhere an athlete can play...we have a strong database of colleges, jucos, etc. and we don't encourage our players to use a recruiting service...it has proven to be too impersonal...there is someone on a coaching staff who can take the time to work with the athletes and see that they have an opportunity...Div.-1 athletes pretty much take care of themselves as they have offers...with a little work the next level athlete can have the same opportunity.