Barry Larkin - Confused

cshs81

Barry Larkin is in the booth commentating on the college World Series.

Situation: 1 out. Runners on 1st and 3rd.

Line drive to deep center. R1 takes off assuming its not going to be caught. Ball is caught (2 outs). R3 tags up and scores BEFORE the throw from CF to first doubles off the runner (3 outs).

Mike Patrick says , incorrectly, that the run should not count because you cannot score a run when the 3rd out was a force out. Not a force out so run counts. They continue to debate it ("file a protest" is mentioned).

Larkin then says that the NCAA needs to re-visit this rule since a team did something illegally and yet they were rewarded. OK. He doesn't like the rule, right? No problem. Then he really stepped in it. He said "you have to give it up for the runner who hustled all the way thinking the ball was going to get over the outfielder's head. His hustle allowed him to score before the 3rd out."

????

I rewound it just to make sure I heard him correctly. He thinks the runner who was doubled off was awarded the run when it was really the guy that tagged up.

Can you imagine a MLB player thinking that they allowed a runner who was declared out to ALSO count his run? What???

Barry Larkin is in the booth commentating on the college World Series.

Situation: 1 out. Runners on 1st and 3rd.

Line drive to deep center. R1 takes off assuming its not going to be caught. Ball is caught (2 outs). R3 tags up and scores BEFORE the throw from CF to first doubles off the runner (3 outs).

Mike Patrick says , incorrectly, that the run should not count because you cannot score a run when the 3rd out was a force out. Not a force out so run counts. They continue to debate it ("file a protest" is mentioned).

Larkin then says that the NCAA needs to re-visit this rule since a team did something illegally and yet they were rewarded. OK. He doesn't like the rule, right? No problem. Then he really stepped in it. He said "you have to give it up for the runner who hustled all the way thinking the ball was going to get over the outfielder's head. His hustle allowed him to score before the 3rd out."

????

I rewound it just to make sure I heard him correctly. He thinks the runner who was doubled off was awarded the run when it was really the guy that tagged up.

Can you imagine a MLB player thinking that they allowed a runner who was declared out to ALSO count his run? What???

Moeller Grad. What else can you say:D

The run counts even in the pro's. Runners sometimes gets "a pickel" started between 1st & 2and base inorder to get a runner from 3rd. base home. After the runner scores they tag the guy out. Long as the runner scores before he's taged out. The runner on first should have not been thrown out at first if the fly ball was to his side of the field.

The run counts even in the pro's. Runners sometimes gets "a pickel" started between 1st & 2and base inorder to get a runner from 3rd. base home.

I understand this, but in the previous play all they had to do is throw to the bag as in a force play.

I understand this, but in the previous play all they had to do is throw to the bag as in a force play.

There is no "force play" on a caught flyball.

From Official Baseball Rules:

A FORCE PLAY is a play in which a runner legally loses his right to occupy a base by reason of the batter becoming a runner.

So, no FP here. Any run that crossed BEFORE the 3rd out was recorded stands.