The Reds could be good in about 2 years if...

What about in LF? He can't be much worse than Dunn out there....

Maybe it's worth a shot, but all I've heard is his play in the field leaves a lot to be desired at 1B and LF. I would start Hopper/Hobbs/Junior every day and bring Dickerson up as a bench OF that can play all 3 positions. If you aren't going to play Votto every day leave him where he is...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So who do you propose to fill the roster spot if the Reds get only prospects in return? Votto makes sense to me. He has been in the OF recently as stated earlier.
If Dunn gets moved, his replacement better be a current, quality MLB player and not from the farm system.

Cash has been thrown at relievers, who were sent packing by other teams but yet, thought they would help the Reds....It didn't work.

The Yankess, will be fine and I know you don't want to compare their offensive lineup and pitchers, with that of the Reds. The Reds had 2 starting pitchers, that had winning records in '06.

The business of baseball, is not taking a band-aid and trying to cover a gash. If the Reds have no pitchers of their own, which are/being developed, than where does that fault point toward.

The have more pitching in the minors than ever before. And I mean EVER. So they are trying to buy time as it develops.And the cash spent on veteran free agent pitchers is minimal at best. Stanton was the only move that cost anything. The rest of the guys are young and learning what it takes. But no need for patience. The sky is falling and heads must roll... :rolleyes:

Maybe it's worth a shot, but all I've heard is his play in the field leaves a lot to be desired at 1B and LF. I would start Hopper/Hobbs/Junior every day and bring Dickerson up as a bench OF that can play all 3 positions. If you aren't going to play Votto every day leave him where he is...

I agree with that outfield, but eventually you need to see him everyday at this level, if it's Sept callups, sobeit. My point is simply, he is IMO the best option potentially of replacing the #'s you lose with Dunn gone. And I agree that he can't be that much of a downgrade defensively from the Donkey can he? I mean, he's not Dante Bichette is he? Or Wily Mo for that matter?

The have more pitching in the minors than ever before. And I mean EVER. So they are trying to buy time as it develops.And the cash spent on veteran free agent pitchers is minimal at best. Stanton was the only move that cost anything. The rest of the guys are young and learning what it takes. But no need for patience. The sky is falling and heads must roll... :rolleyes:
I'm not the one, who starts thread like these and ask questions. If the Reds are content, to be below average, in a below average Division, than so be it. I'm a Detroit and St. Louis fan, so I can live with, but to an exception.

73-89 in '05

80-82 in '06

....and today, same problems, no pitching, problems in late relief, no team speed and average MLB talent. If the Reds fans can accept and tolerate what the Management does, than enjoy the rest of the year. Narron can only make so many moves, with the talent or I should say, lack of he has.

Won't happen.
You may very well, be correct.

Ah yes. The Tigers. The team that had patience with a change at the top. The Tigers that let players develop while slowly adding talent piece by piece until they were a legit contender. Sounds like a great plan. That's why I like the idea of the Reds following it...

Ah yes. The Tigers. The team that had patience with a change at the top. The Tigers that let players develop while slowly adding talent piece by piece until they were a legit contender. Sounds like a great plan. That's why I like the idea of the Reds following it...
Now you're with me, adding talent and quality MLB players....It's not getting done, at Cincinnati.

Now you're with me, adding talent and quality MLB players....It's not getting done, at Cincinnati.

If you remember Maggs was considered an awful contract at the time he signed. Most thought his knee problems had him washed up. Pudge was seen as too much cash for a franchise beyond help. The young arms were getting their skulls bashed in every time they were on the mound. The rotation and pen were among the worst in baseball. But they stuck to their plan, and low and behold look where they are now. Piece by piece until it clicked. No panicking. No throwing cash at average arms. Just a well executed long term plan. And remember, when the Tigers were bad the AL Central was considered the worst in baseball...

If you remember Maggs was considered an awful contract at the time he signed. Most thought his knee problems had him washed up. Pudge was seen as too much cash for a franchise beyond help. The young arms were getting their skulls bashed in every time they were on the mound. The rotation and pen were among the worst in baseball. But they stuck to their plan, and low and behold look where they are now. Piece by piece until it clicked. No panicking. No throwing cash at average arms. Just a well executed long term plan. And remember, when the Tigers were bad the AL Central was considered the worst in baseball...

Their young arms were/are way better than the Reds pitching though. I'll take Bonderman and Verlander over the likes of Arroyo and Harang every day.

The plan may work, but you have to have the right people to make it happen. Bailey is the right start, but who else beyond that? Livingston? Cuertos(sp?), Fischer?....

Now we're on the Tigers plan. Darn I just finished looking into the Twins plan, which I wasn't to impressed with. Yes they did win a couple of divisional championships. Can you tell us how long the plan took in Minn? From 1st day to 1st championship season? I'd like to know what we should expect.

Their young arms were/are way better than the Reds pitching though. I'll take Bonderman and Verlander over the likes of Arroyo and Harang every day.

The plan may work, but you have to have the right people to make it happen. Bailey is the right start, but who else beyond that? Livingston? Cuertos(sp?), Fischer?....

I'd take Bailey over Bonderman and Verlander. I think Cueto is the next solid young arm in line, but it will likely be next year before we see him pitch at the big league level. If EZ is healthy it's another quality arm in the system that does have some success (albeit it very limited). Outside of Stanton and Stormy there is very little experience in the pen, but there are some quality young arms that are still figuring it out. The constant craving for change is what makes things worse long term. How about we try a little patience for a change...

I'd take Bailey over Bonderman and Verlander. I think Cueto is the next solid young arm in line, but it will likely be next year before we see him pitch at the big league level. If EZ is healthy it's another quality arm in the system that does have some success (albeit it very limited). Outside of Stanton and Stormy there is very little experience in the pen, but there are some quality young arms that are still figuring it out. The constant craving for change is what makes things worse long term. How about we try a little patience for a change...

Do you see them giving Pelland a shot this year or is he more than a year away? He seems like a good young lefty for the pen.

Now we're on the Tigers plan. Darn I just finished looking into the Twins plan, which I wasn't to impressed with. Yes they did win a couple of divisional championships. Can you tell us how long the plan took in Minn? From 1st day to 1st championship season? I'd like to know what we should expect.

It's the same plan except the Tigers added a little more free agent help along the way. Develop young arms so you don't have to throw cash at guys you don't really want, but need. It's the foundation of the entire AL Central, and they are now considered the best overall division in the game. Not sure why I keep ramming my head into a wall day after day on something people clearly can't grasp...

Do you see them giving Pelland a shot this year or is he more than a year away? He seems like a good young lefty for the pen.

I would think he's a year away at best. I would like to see him in AAA before too long...