Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What current MLB players are a lock for the HOF?

Featured Replies

Nice list...Do you believe Chipper Jones has a shot?
While I think he's a tremendous MLB player and will certainly, get votes. He just doesn't have the appeal, others do and his demeanor, doesn't help him with the voters.

 

He'll be considered and his name, will be mentioned but....No, I don't think he'll make it, unless he plays 5-6 more years and gets close, to 3,000.

  • Replies 80
  • Views 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

M. Rivera I belive will have a good shot at it, the problem with him is the same as Hoffman...tough for a reliever but I believe Rivera will he in.

 

Imo D. Jeter is a lock

 

J. Torre is not a player but imo he will be in as a manager.

 

Chipper Jones may get in, imo he neeeds a few more good years to lock it down, he is short of it now.

 

Barry Bonds - will be a sad day but he is a lock.

 

Roger Clemens another no doubter

 

Randy Johnson

 

Tom Glavine, Greg Maddux

 

A. Pujos

 

Craig Biggio should go in.

While I think he's a tremendous MLB player and will certainly, get votes. He just doesn't have the appeal, others do and his demeanor, doesn't help him with the voters.

 

He'll be considered and his name, will be mentioned but....No, I don't think he'll make it, unless he plays 5-6 more years and gets close, to 3,000.

 

He'll disintegrate before that happens. I'd be surprised if he ever plays more than 110 games in a season again.

  • Author
As a Braves fan, I'm sure you do. But he falls short.

 

Not only as a Braves fan but as baseball fan:

 

1992-8 hits shy of 2000 (250 all time)

1224 RBI's (121th all time)

369 HR's (62nd all time)

.304 Average (148 all time)

.402 OBP (55th all time)

.544 SLG % (32nd all time)

.946 OPS ( 26th all time)

1221 (150 all time)

Adjusted OPS 143 (56th all time)

 

5 time all star

1 MVP

1 World Series

 

Only switch hitter to have career average over .300

8 straight seasons of 100+ RBI's

Let me admit that I have trouble evaluating Schilling without my pure disdain for him as a person coming into play. With that said, I don't know if "lock" is correct.

Not only as a Braves fan but as baseball fan:

 

1992-8 hits shy of 2000 (250 all time)

1224 RBI's (121th all time)

369 HR's (62nd all time)

.304 Average (148 all time)

.402 OBP (55th all time)

.544 SLG % (32nd all time)

.946 OPS ( 26th all time)

1221 (150 all time)

Adjusted OPS 143 (56th all time)

 

5 time all star

1 MVP

1 World Series

 

Only switch hitter to have career average over .300

8 straight seasons of 100+ RBI's

 

I hate to bust your bubble, but all those stats scream is a pretty good player, but not one of the all-time greats. Hitting 369 HRs in a long-ball era such as this one doesn't mean a lot. Neither does 2,000 hits, especially when some are saying Biggio is borderline.

I don't remember who said in regards to making the HOF that its "not for the very good but , rather, its for the very best of the best."

 

Some names thrown out on this list fall under the "very good."

Not only as a Braves fan but as baseball fan:

 

1992-8 hits shy of 2000 (250 all time)

1224 RBI's (121th all time)

369 HR's (62nd all time)

.304 Average (148 all time)

.402 OBP (55th all time)

.544 SLG % (32nd all time)

.946 OPS ( 26th all time)

1221 (150 all time)

Adjusted OPS 143 (56th all time)

 

5 time all star

1 MVP

1 World Series

 

Only switch hitter to have career average over .300

8 straight seasons of 100+ RBI's

I know Mantle, hit near .300 for his career, but came up short at .298 but didn't Rose, hit over .300?
I know Mantle, hit near .300 for his career, but came up short at .298 but didn't Rose, hit over .300?

 

 

.303

 

Alomar hit .300 .

I know Mantle, hit near .300 for his career, but came up short at .298 but didn't Rose, hit over .300?

 

.303 - his last six years really drug his BA down.

  • Author

I could have swore someone on ESPN or somewhere mentioned that. Well if it's not average then it's something else. My mistake!

I could have swore someone on ESPN or somewhere mentioned that. Well if it's not average then it's something else. My mistake!

 

He's probably the only active player.

  • Author

^ Nah I know that's not it. It's some sort of career stat. Let me see if I can find it

If MLB shut down today, I think these players get in:

 

Greg Maddux

Trevor Hoffman (eventually would get in)

Vladdy Guerrero (I believe his .325 average and 300+ homers would get him in)

Craig Biggio

Frank Thomas

John Smoltz

Albert Pujols (I can't help it, the future is so bright I have to list him) :D

Randy Johnson

Barry Bonds

Ichiro (yes, I think he'd be in already)

Pedro Martinez

Tom Glavine

Sammy Sosa

Manny Ramirez

Junior Griffey

Todd Helton (I think he is much closer to being in that most would admit)

Pudge Rodriguez

Gary Sheffield (believe it or not, I'd think he'd eventually get in)

Jim Thome (see above)

Mike Mussina

Mariano Rivera

Derek Jeter

Alex Rodriguez

 

 

I just looked at the standings, so I may have missed someone. However, I think this is a pretty good list.

I highlighted the ones, I think other than who has been mentioned. Some very good names but I don't see, the ones I made "Red", making the HOF.
  • Author

Ok I found it. Chipper Jones is the only switch hitter to have a career average of .300 and have more than 300 homeruns

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.