Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What current MLB players are a lock for the HOF?

Featured Replies

Funny you should mention Ricky. Rumor has it that he will sign with the A's late in the year and immediately re-retire so he can retire with the team he started with.

 

I really think that he may wait until he's been out of baseball for 5 years, gain induction into the HOF, then get back in the majors as a publicity thing - only player ever to appear in a game after being elected to the Hall.

  • Replies 80
  • Views 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

 

If by some miracle he gets back to the show, Rickey Henderson goes on the list.

 

Already a first ballot lock, is he not?

Already a first ballot lock, is he not?

 

 

Yes he is, but he's not a current MLB player.

Jeter needs NO more years. He has 6 rings I think. A great shortstop and he is an outstanding player when the playoffs hit!

 

If Jeter's career ends today, I wait a year or two after his first year of eligibility to vote him in. Yes, he's a great player, but I think he needs more than 11+ years in the bigs. That's just me. I'd vote for Jim Rice and Andre Dawson first.

 

Now, when Jeter gets to the 2,500 hit plateau, goes over 200 homers, I vote him in on the first ballot.

 

Here's a link.

 

http://www.baseball-reference.com/j/jeterde01.shtml

 

Interestingly, the player that Jeter is "most similar to", based on age, is Roberto Alomar.

 

That's why I say he needs a couple more years.

  • Author
I really think that he may wait until he's been out of baseball for 5 years, gain induction into the HOF, then get back in the majors as a publicity thing - only player ever to appear in a game after being elected to the Hall.

 

It won't be 5 years. His party has already contacted the A's about doing it in September!

Yes he is, but he's not a current MLB player.
Unless someone takes him up on his idea of coming out of retirement...:lol:
At this time based on what they've achieved. IMO here are some that should be.

 

Greg Maddux

Tom Glavine

John Smoltz

Craig Biggio

Barry Bonds-unfortunately

Derek Jeter

Roger Clemens

Trevor Hoffman

 

Here are some, who are some others?

I would add the following:

 

A-Rod

Randy Johnson (will make it but)

Craig Biggio (not a lock by voters, but he is in my book)

Mariano Rivera

Griffey, Jr

Albert Pujols (when his career ends)

"Pudge" Rodriquez (could possibly)

Sammy Sosa (could possibly make it)

Andruw Jones (could possibly make it)

I would add the following:

 

A-Rod

Randy Johnson (will make it but)

Craig Biggio (not a lock by voters, but he is in my book)

Mariano Rivera

Griffey, Jr

Albert Pujols (when his career ends)

"Pudge" Rodriquez (could possibly)

Sammy Sosa (could possibly make it)

Andruw Jones (could possibly make it)

 

 

Nice list...Do you believe Chipper Jones has a shot?

At this time based on what they've achieved. IMO here are some that should be.

 

Greg Maddux

Tom Glavine

John Smoltz

Craig Biggio

Barry Bonds-unfortunately

Derek Jeter

Roger Clemens

Trevor Hoffman

 

Here are some, who are some others?

 

I am hoping that you just forgot to put Ken Griffey Junior on here, because he is a definite lock. It cant even be questioned....

If MLB shut down today, I think these players get in:

 

Greg Maddux

Trevor Hoffman (eventually would get in)

Vladdy Guerrero (I believe his .325 average and 300+ homers would get him in)

Craig Biggio

Frank Thomas

John Smoltz

Albert Pujols (I can't help it, the future is so bright I have to list him) :D

Randy Johnson

Barry Bonds

Ichiro (yes, I think he'd be in already)

Pedro Martinez

Tom Glavine

Sammy Sosa

Manny Ramirez

Junior Griffey

Todd Helton (I think he is much closer to being in that most would admit)

Pudge Rodriguez

Gary Sheffield (believe it or not, I'd think he'd eventually get in)

Jim Thome (see above)

Mike Mussina

Mariano Rivera

Derek Jeter

Alex Rodriguez

 

 

I just looked at the standings, so I may have missed someone. However, I think this is a pretty good list.

Barry Bonds(.299 career avg. by the time he retires it should be a little over .300, he should break the homerun record.)

 

Curt Shilling(over 200 wins, and 3,000 K's)

 

Albert Pujols(his career avg is .330, already has 257 homeruns in 7 seasons, and close to 800 RBI)

 

Greg Maddux(over 200 wins, his lifetime era is a little over 3.00, and over 3,200 K's)

 

Alex Rodriguez(lifetime avg over .300, and over 400 homeruns)

 

John Smoltz(200 wins, and over 150 saves, close to 3,000 K's)

 

Chipper Jones( lifetime avg over .300, over 300 homeruns, and close to 2,000 hits, and over 1,000 RBI)

 

Ken Griffey(lifetime avg near .300, almost 2,500 hits, over 1,500 RBI and the 573 homeruns dont hurt either)

 

Sammy Sosa(lifetime avg over .270, near 2,500 hits,over 1,500 RBI, and near 600 homeruns)

 

Craig Biggio(lifetime avg over .280, over 1,000 RBI, over 400 SB, near 290 homeruns, and close to 3,000 hits)

 

Roger Clemens(close to 350 wins, lifetime era a little over 3.00, and over 4,500 K's)

 

others who could make it

Tom Glavine

Gary Sheffield

Jim Edmonds

Vlad

Ichiro

Garret Anderson

Pedro Martinez

David Wright

  • Author
Nice list...Do you believe Chipper Jones has a shot?

 

I believe he has a chance to be in if he ended his career today!

I believe he has a chance to be in if he ended his career today!

 

As a Braves fan, I'm sure you do. But he falls short.

Barry Bonds(.299 career avg. by the time he retires it should be a little over .300, he should break the homerun record.)

 

Curt Shilling(over 200 wins, and 3,000 K's)

 

Albert Pujols(his career avg is .330, already has 257 homeruns in 7 seasons, and close to 800 RBI)

 

Greg Maddux(over 200 wins, his lifetime era is a little over 3.00, and over 3,200 K's)

 

Alex Rodriguez(lifetime avg over .300, and over 400 homeruns)

 

John Smoltz(200 wins, and over 150 saves, close to 3,000 K's)

 

Chipper Jones( lifetime avg over .300, over 300 homeruns, and close to 2,000 hits, and over 1,000 RBI)

 

Ken Griffey(lifetime avg near .300, almost 2,500 hits, over 1,500 RBI and the 573 homeruns dont hurt either)

 

Sammy Sosa(lifetime avg over .270, near 2,500 hits,over 1,500 RBI, and near 600 homeruns)

 

Craig Biggio(lifetime avg over .280, over 1,000 RBI, over 400 SB, near 290 homeruns, and close to 3,000 hits)

 

Roger Clemens(close to 350 wins, lifetime era a little over 3.00, and over 4,500 K's)

 

others who could make it

Tom Glavine

Gary Sheffield

Jim Edmonds

Vlad

Ichiro

Garret Anderson

Pedro Martinez

David Wright

 

You're kidding, right? If Garret Anderson makes it, they might as well just shut the HOF down.

 

And as far as Edmonds, with only 1,700 hits and 350 HRs, he's going to have to play 10 more years to rack up the numbers he would need to be considered, and that's just not gonna happen.

 

With Wright, let's let him get past five years in the league, and him accumulate some better numbers, before we start anointing him.

Here's an old Sports Guy column about the HOF from a few years back that is pertinent to this discussion. I do take issue with his insult of Davey Concepcion, however, but that's another story.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.