Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What current MLB players are a lock for the HOF?

Featured Replies

If Frank Thomas doesn't make the HOF within 8 years of retirement than I'll pay for a trip to Cooperstown for Strike3, Cshs81, and LRCW. There is NO chance he doesn't make the HOF.

 

No chance. Like it or not, the Big Hurt is a HOF'er...maybe sneaks in first ballot.

 

 

:thumb: He's 100% a no doubter. I'd take it a step further and say he's a 1st ballot.

 

500 HRs is still going to get you in, especially when you have a career average over .300 and 1600 RBI's.

 

I don't see how anyone can make an arguement against him getting in.

  • Replies 80
  • Views 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You very well may be right, he was next on my list. I like Smoltz as a starter, extremely competitive and excellent stuff. I think the move, to a closer, will hurt his chances, as the voters don't give a lot of votes to relievers/closers, in recent time.

 

He'll have to get near 240 or so, I think and not sure, if he can continue that long.

 

I think Smoltz will make it. He's the only player with 200 wins and 150 saves. Baseball-Reference has him and Dennis Eckersley as the most similar at the same age and Eck is in. Here's a comparison of their numbers:

 

Eckersley 197-171 390 Svs 2401 Ks 3.50 ERA 1 Cy Young 1 20 win season 1World Series

 

Smoltz 200-139 154 Svs 2838 Ks 3.26 ERA 1 Cy Young 1 20 win season 1 World Series

 

The only thing Eckersley beats Smoltz in is Saves and to me Smoltz winning percentage will more than make up for that. He might not be first ballot but I think he'll get in fairly easily.

Jeter needs a couple more years.

Biggio is on the fringe. I would rate Griffey Jr.'s chances just as good.

 

Biggio is a lock when he gets his 3,000th hit soon. He's only like 20 hits away or something.

As a Braves fan, I'm sure you do. But he falls short.

 

He's probably the 3rd best switch hitter of all time. I think he deserves to be in the Hall.

Barry Bonds(.299 career avg. by the time he retires it should be a little over .300, he should break the homerun record.)

 

Curt Shilling(over 200 wins, and 3,000 K's)

 

Albert Pujols(his career avg is .330, already has 257 homeruns in 7 seasons, and close to 800 RBI)

 

Greg Maddux(over 200 wins, his lifetime era is a little over 3.00, and over 3,200 K's)

 

Alex Rodriguez(lifetime avg over .300, and over 400 homeruns)

 

John Smoltz(200 wins, and over 150 saves, close to 3,000 K's)

 

Chipper Jones( lifetime avg over .300, over 300 homeruns, and close to 2,000 hits, and over 1,000 RBI)

 

Ken Griffey(lifetime avg near .300, almost 2,500 hits, over 1,500 RBI and the 573 homeruns dont hurt either)

 

Sammy Sosa(lifetime avg over .270, near 2,500 hits,over 1,500 RBI, and near 600 homeruns)

 

Craig Biggio(lifetime avg over .280, over 1,000 RBI, over 400 SB, near 290 homeruns, and close to 3,000 hits)

 

Roger Clemens(close to 350 wins, lifetime era a little over 3.00, and over 4,500 K's)

 

others who could make it

Tom Glavine

Gary Sheffield

Jim Edmonds

Vlad

Ichiro

Garret Anderson

Pedro Martinez

David Wright

 

Garret Anderson, lol.

I highlighted the ones, I think other than who has been mentioned. Some very good names but I don't see, the ones I made "Red", making the HOF.

 

How can you not have Manny Ramirez making the HOF? He's only 35 and has a lifetime .313 batting average, 2109 hits, 444 Doubles, 477 Homeruns (26th all time), 1544 RBIs (38th all time), 1075 BBs, 937 Extra base hits (44th all time), a .595 slugging pct (8th all time), a .409 OB % (39th all time), 10 All-Star game appearances, 9 Silver Sluggers, 8 straight years of top 10 MVP finishes, a batting title, a homerun title, an RBI title and a World Series MVP. He's also played the field (granted he's not a great fielder but he's not a DH either) his whole career. I know the guy can be a flake but he's not surly towards the media and he's well liked by his teammates and fellow players so I don't see that as being a problem. He's still should have 3-5 more good seasons in him that could move hime up in the top 10 in homers and RBIs, I'd be willing to bet he gets in on the first ballot easily.

Folks, you have to remember that the HOF has kept out the likes of Jim Rice and Andre Dawson FOR YEARS, and they were among the most feared power hitters of their day.

 

Rice: ROY, MVP 1978, Lifetime BA .298, 2452 hits, 1249 runs, 1451 RBI, 382 HR in just over 15 seasons. For a 4-year stretch (1977-1980) was the dominant power hitter in the league.

 

Dawson's stats may be even more compelling. ROY, MVP 1987, .279 BA, 2774 hits, 1373 runs, 1591 RBI, 438 HR, 314 steals and 8 gold gloves. Nobody tried to take the extra base against The Hawk.

 

And we're seriously talking about the likes of Garrett Anderson, David Wright, Jim Edmonds, Chipper Jones?

He's probably the 3rd best switch hitter of all time. I think he deserves to be in the Hall.

 

Hogwash.

 

Just off the top of my head I'd rank him behind:

Pete Rose

Mickey Mantle

Eddie Murray

 

And it won't be long before Lance Berkman passes him up; he just needs a few more years. Jones and Bernie Williams are about a wash.

  • Author
Hogwash.

 

Just off the top of my head I'd rank him behind:

Pete Rose

Mickey Mantle

Eddie Murray

 

And it won't be long before Lance Berkman passes him up; he just needs a few more years. Jones and Bernie Williams are about a wash.

 

You got something against Chipper?

  • Author
Folks, you have to remember that the HOF has kept out the likes of Jim Rice and Andre Dawson FOR YEARS, and they were among the most feared power hitters of their day.

 

Rice: ROY, MVP 1978, Lifetime BA .298, 2452 hits, 1249 runs, 1451 RBI, 382 HR in just over 15 seasons. For a 4-year stretch (1977-1980) was the dominant power hitter in the league.

 

Dawson's stats may be even more compelling. ROY, MVP 1987, .279 BA, 2774 hits, 1373 runs, 1591 RBI, 438 HR, 314 steals and 8 gold gloves. Nobody tried to take the extra base against The Hawk.

 

And we're seriously talking about the likes of Garrett Anderson, David Wright, Jim Edmonds, Chipper Jones?

 

What's wrong with him? What's your reasoning for him not making it?

What's wrong with him? What's your reasoning for him not making it?

 

.304avg. 1992H 369HRs 1224RBIs......Solid D, switch hitter, He's a no doubter IMO. He most likely won't be 1st-ballot due to the fact that he's severely underrated, but I say he gets in 2nd-3rd ballot.

  • Author
.304avg. 1992H 369HRs 1224RBIs......Solid D, switch hitter, He's a no doubter IMO. He most likely won't be 1st-ballot due to the fact that he's severely underrated, but I say he gets in 2nd-3rd ballot.

 

See I'm not saying he's first ballot either but I don't see how he could not make the HOF with the numbers he's put up over the years!

How can you not have Manny Ramirez making the HOF? He's only 35 and has a lifetime .313 batting average, 2109 hits, 444 Doubles, 477 Homeruns (26th all time), 1544 RBIs (38th all time), 1075 BBs, 937 Extra base hits (44th all time), a .595 slugging pct (8th all time), a .409 OB % (39th all time), 10 All-Star game appearances, 9 Silver Sluggers, 8 straight years of top 10 MVP finishes, a batting title, a homerun title, an RBI title and a World Series MVP. He's also played the field (granted he's not a great fielder but he's not a DH either) his whole career. I know the guy can be a flake but he's not surly towards the media and he's well liked by his teammates and fellow players so I don't see that as being a problem. He's still should have 3-5 more good seasons in him that could move hime up in the top 10 in homers and RBIs, I'd be willing to bet he gets in on the first ballot easily.
Manny, doesn't play hard on defense and to me, doesn't respect the game. If you can't give a decent effort, running out a groundball, going after a ball over your head, than your not a HOF to me.

 

More to HOF, than stats.

Manny, doesn't play hard on defense and to me, doesn't respect the game. If you can't give a decent effort, running out a groundball, going after a ball over your head, than your not a HOF to me.

 

More to HOF, than stats.

 

 

Manny will be a first ballot HOF without question.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.