Top Kickers in state

I totally agree Popham was to good to compare some no name kicker to. When Popham hit that 64 yarder it was insane and he was consistent. Since highlands doensnt kick much i don't see them too being on the same level.

Read the post again and tell us where anyone compared him to Popham. Heir apparent as best kicker in No Ky does not mean he is as good. Remember, Popham was a no name kicker until last year.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:banana: Don't forget Bell County's Placekicker/Punter, Monte Merrick. He was named to the Courier-Journal All-State Team Hon. Mention as a sophomore last year. Was highest ranked class of 2009 kicker/punter in nation for Prokicker.com (Ray Guy's camp) 33 cities competing. He will be in his third year as starter for the varsity. Nearly all kickoffs are touchbacks with long hangtimes. Hit game winning FG against Corbin last year with no time remaining following three consecutive "icing" timeouts. Bell has not kicked many FG's. Should attempt more this year. Merrick recently hit 4-5 from 55 yards in spring practice. He has hit from 60 yds. in practice.:banana:

I totally agree Popham was to good to compare some no name kicker to. When Popham hit that 64 yarder it was insane and he was consistent. Since highlands doensnt kick much i don't see them too being on the same level.

NO-NAME???...on;y if you don't follow NKY Football! Drew Bathiany has been kicking AND playing in the D-backfield for 3 years now at a little school named FT THOMAS HIGHLANDS. (3 yr starters are RARE there). The Popham boy is definitely the gold standard for kickers right now...but let's wait till Drew's SR year is over and see if he can come close, meet or beat Pop. The topic was for '07...Drew will be the best in NKY (maybe state ?) in '07 hands down...or toes down!

Mayfield has a kicker (don't know his name) that booms the ball. Everytime I saw him kick (about 8 kicks) he kicked the ball out of the endzone. He definitely looked like a D1. I image that colleges will be looking hard for kickers just for kick-offs since the new rule change. In case you didn't know, colleges will kick-off from the 30 next year.

Tommy McNutt from Mayfield should have his name listed as one of the best in the state as last year his touchback percentage was a little over 90% for the year...always fun watching the opposing teams just watch the ball sail over their heads into the endzone for a touchback. He also kicked a late game 45-yard FG to beat Hopkinsville last year that would have been good from 55-60 yards. Not saying he is the best...just thought his name should be at least mentioned in this category as I have not seen the other kids being mentioned in this thread...sounds like the state has some pretty good kids kicking this year.

NO-NAME???...on;y if you don't follow NKY Football! Drew Bathiany has been kicking AND playing in the D-backfield for 3 years now at a little school named FT THOMAS HIGHLANDS. (3 yr starters are RARE there). The Popham boy is definitely the gold standard for kickers right now...but let's wait till Drew's SR year is over and see if he can come close, meet or beat Pop. The topic was for '07...Drew will be the best in NKY (maybe state ?) in '07 hands down...or toes down!

I would like to see him focus on kicking instead of DB, by the end of the game when the kicks count his leggs have to be tired. :thumb:

:banana: Don't forget Bell County's Placekicker/Punter, Monte Merrick. He was named to the Courier-Journal All-State Team Hon. Mention as a sophomore last year. Was highest ranked class of 2009 kicker/punter in nation for Prokicker.com (Ray Guy's camp) 33 cities competing. He will be in his third year as starter for the varsity. Nearly all kickoffs are touchbacks with long hangtimes. Hit game winning FG against Corbin last year with no time remaining following three consecutive "icing" timeouts. Bell has not kicked many FG's. Should attempt more this year. Merrick recently hit 4-5 from 55 yards in spring practice. He has hit from 60 yds. in practice.:banana:

He is probably as good as anyone else in the state. He is very long and accurate!

I've heard some good things about Petrovic at Trinity.

Witnessed him kick against HHS JV ...could not believe the varsity had a better kicker! Put kickoffs (and unfortunately, there were a lot of them!) DEEP in the endzone with plenty of hang! He's definitely a weapon!

hane Popham's 2006 Kicking Stats

51 touchbacks on kick-offs

56/56 PATS

18/27 field goals: Distances: 57, 54, 54, 53, 47, 42, 35, 35, 35, 34, 34, 30, 30, 30, 28, 27, 24, & 20 yards.

One punt - 48 yards.

So when did he kick the 64 yard field goal? 2005?

Yes someone needs to report these stats.

Shane was the best I've seen at the highschool level. If he was not D-1 material than I am not sure just what it takes... Where did Popham choose to go to college? I am a friend of a father in Lexington whose son attended George Rogers Clark. His son got an offer from Georgetown, Ky. His son worked out with the Lex Indoor Arena team. He was good, per Dad, but I would not compare him to Popham.

Shane was the best I've seen at the highschool level. If he was not D-1 material than I am not sure just what it takes... Where did Popham choose to go to college? I am a friend of a father in Lexington whose son attended George Rogers Clark. His son got an offer from Georgetown, Ky. His son worked out with the Lex Indoor Arena team. He was good, per Dad, but I would not compare him to Popham.

Shane is going to Wake Forest. Great school and a school that is lucky to have Shane.