What is the greatest varsity football game you ever saw at Manual Stadium?

Good memory. Another interesting aspect of the pre-1968 rivalry was that T had tied H 0-0, and lost 4 games by a seven points or less.

BTW, was that the Hennessey/Riddle team?

Yes, it was that team. There were a lot of tough customers in that senior class - not necessarily big but tough: Craig Kissel. Paul Sandman, Steve Mershon, Larry Phillips, Ron Wolford, Mark Sheehan, Bob Dierson, Steve Sutton, et al.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it was that team. There were a lot of tough customers in that senior class - not necessarily big but tough: Craig Kissel. Paul Sandman, Steve Mershon, Larry Phillips, Ron Wolford, Mark Sheehan, Bob Dierson, Steve Sutton, et al.

True that. And I think we could also agree that Larry's son, Vince, could play a little football for Trinity.

I did not attend the 1962 State game but that must have been a great one from the fan perspective. Its really hard to narrow it down to just one game so I will give some highlights to "Great Memory Games at Historic Manual Stadium":

1. 2001 - St. X 26 - Manual 20, X scores 19 points in final 7:25 to win the game. Final TD came with 12.9 seconds on the clock...

2. 1999 - Third Round Playoffs - St. X 19 - Male 10, It rained and rained the whole game. Many parts of the field were under water....

3. 1987 - St. X 26 - Holy Cross 19. Arron Payne of Holy Cross returns two kick offs for TD's....

4. 1986 - St. X 0 - Male 40, Worst drubbin I have ever seen the Tigers take... X recovered to claim the 4A State Title that year...

I will miss the old stadium, but a new tradition is to be made with the new facility on campus. I anticipate that it may be a little difficult place to play for visiting teams. Instead of the pregame at Checks and/or Flabbys, I anticipate a lot of grilling and tailgating at the X home games. Looking forward to the season. GO TIGERS.

I did not attend the 1962 State game but that must have been a great one from the fan perspective. Its really hard to narrow it down to just one game so I will give some highlights to "Great Memory Games at Historic Manual Stadium":

1. 2001 - St. X 26 - Manual 20, X scores 19 points in final 7:25 to win the game. Final TD came with 12.9 seconds on the clock...

2. 1999 - Third Round Playoffs - St. X 19 - Male 10, It rained and rained the whole game. Many parts of the field were under water....

3. 1987 - St. X 26 - Holy Cross 19. Arron Payne of Holy Cross returns two kick offs for TD's....

4. 1986 - St. X 0 - Male 40, Worst drubbin I have ever seen the Tigers take... X recovered to claim the 4A State Title that year...

I will miss the old stadium, but a new tradition is to be made with the new facility on campus. I anticipate that it may be a little difficult place to play for visiting teams. Instead of the pregame at Checks and/or Flabbys, I anticipate a lot of grilling and tailgating at the X home games. Looking forward to the season. GO TIGERS.

That didn't happen.

Ram - It may be hard to believe, but that is why it made my list of memorable games at Manual stadium. (Im referenceing the CJ article which was printed in the Saturday paper) Manual was winning 20 - 7 and X intercepted three Kennan Burton passes in the final 5:55. Will Thomas for X scored from 1 yard with 12.9 left on the clock. It is hard to believe, Im with you...

The score remained this way until Valley was forced to punt with 2:40 left in the game. In a last desparate attempt to salvage a championship, the whole St. X. line poured in on the Viking punter. Big Maurice Moorman blocked the punt. Bill Smith picked up the ball and sloshed into the end zone. Dave Arnett's placement was perfect...St. X. - State Champs of 1962! :dancingpa

I believe this picture of Mo is in the locker room. You'd be amazed at how high he jumped to block that punt. One of the best football photos I've seen, but I'm biased.

• 2 weeks later...
I was there, too (02Ram54 should be a good hint.)

I know that X won 26-20.

I don't believe that X scored 19 points in the last 7 1/2.

I saw it still don't believe it! What a comeback. I am also fond of the 1967 St.X / Trinity game. T led 12-7 at the half and Steve Ising returned the second half kick off for a TD and Paul Karem threw all over the place for a 34-12 Tiger win.

I saw it still don't believe it! What a comeback. I am also fond of the 1967 St.X / Trinity game. T led 12-7 at the half and Steve Ising returned the second half kick off for a TD and Paul Karem threw all over the place for a 34-12 Tiger win.

Correct me if Im wrong, but I dont think the 1967 X vs. T game was at Manual stadium... Sounds as if that was one eXciting 2nd half....