What is the greatest varsity football game you ever saw at Manual Stadium?

What is the greatest game you ever seen at Manual Stadium? It may be a final minute game changer, a tight game where the lead see-sawed, a historic game, a game that affected the playoffs, or a game that just had some special memory for you. Who played, what was at stake, who won, crowd size- and any other pertinent details you may wish to add.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too easy for me, and I can tell you it'll probably be all of the other Crimson's responses.

The Old Rivalry in 2001.

Male vs. Manual

The last Manual victory occurred in 1989, giving Male the largest streak of victories in the rivalry's history.

The barrel, as usual, was at stake. Along with the pride of myself being the last of my brothers to have the opportunity to be on a Manual team that beat Male.

Male had the likes of Bush, Spencer, Blackerby, and some other people who I can not even think of at the moment.

Manual had Keenan Burton, as our QB, and myself and 02ram. No other names would ring any bells.

The crowd was huge... I don't know how huge, but it was one loud stadium.

The last few minutes were gut-wrenching, as only a few weeks before we had experienced the bitter stunning loss to St. X in the last 7 minutes of the game. So we were all pretty on edge. But it came down to the last minute. 3 and out, Manual's ball. No more big plays occurred. The time on the clock hadn't even reached the 10s when fans were jumping the fence onto the field. Game over. Manual victory. Final score, 20-13.

The field quickly became something I will never likely experience again in my life. People were hugging me that I didn't know. Friennds and family SOMEHOW got to me. Within seconds I had lost sight of the line to shake hands with Male... I'm pretty sure it dissolved quickly anyway. It took quite sometime to work my way through the crowd up on The Hill where the team was gathering for pictures and the most glorious rendition of the fight song ever sang.

Trinty came back and beat Manual - I believe 34-31 on a great 4th quarter by the Rocks - Nick Petrino overcame some early mistakes.

I'll never forget that catch by Orndorf, shaking off 2 defenders to race into the endzone. That was an exciting ending! :banana:

The Male Manual game from 2005 was exciting--Richard Fangman, Male's placekicker, kicked the game-winning FG in the final seconds for the second year in a row, leading the Bulldogs to a 31-28 win. Another was just last season, when Male topped St X 28-27 in an overtime game that will probably be the last X/H game ever played at duPont Manual Stadium. The difference was a missed X extra point of all things.

Too easy for me, and I can tell you it'll probably be all of the other Crimson's responses.

The Old Rivalry in 2001.

Male vs. Manual

The last Manual victory occurred in 1989, giving Male the largest streak of victories in the rivalry's history.

The barrel, as usual, was at stake. Along with the pride of myself being the last of my brothers to have the opportunity to be on a Manual team that beat Male.

Male had the likes of Bush, Spencer, Blackerby, and some other people who I can not even think of at the moment.

Manual had Keenan Burton, as our QB, and myself and 02ram. No other names would ring any bells.

The crowd was huge... I don't know how huge, but it was one loud stadium.

The last few minutes were gut-wrenching, as only a few weeks before we had experienced the bitter stunning loss to St. X in the last 7 minutes of the game. So we were all pretty on edge. But it came down to the last minute. 3 and out, Manual's ball. No more big plays occurred. The time on the clock hadn't even reached the 10s when fans were jumping the fence onto the field. Game over. Manual victory. Final score, 20-13.

The field quickly became something I will never likely experience again in my life. People were hugging me that I didn't know. Friennds and family SOMEHOW got to me. Within seconds I had lost sight of the line to shake hands with Male... I'm pretty sure it dissolved quickly anyway. It took quite sometime to work my way through the crowd up on The Hill where the team was gathering for pictures and the most glorious rendition of the fight song ever sang.

:dancingpa

The 1968 Trinity - Male game. Male the big pre season favorite. Trinity had never beaten Male. In the four previous seasons, a 21-0 loss was the closest Trinity had come. Trinity was held scoreless against Male during that four year stretch. I don't think Trinity had EVER won a game at Manual Stadium. Trinity won 14-0 for the City title and was on the way to State Title number 1.

By the way, I think Trinity's next loss to Male was 1995.

1962 State championship game St.X-7 valley-6

I'm with you, Xtiger69! :thumb:

On a cold, drizzly, nasty day, things were not going too well for the Tigers. All-State RB, Dicky Lyons, got a broken arm, and All-State QB, Denny Obst, got a separated shoulder in the first half of the ballgame. Neither team was having much success moving the ball until late in the 3rd quarter, when Valley's QB skirted 20 yards around left end for the TD. Valley's placement in the slop was no good and the score was Valley 6 - St. X. 0. The score remained this way until Valley was forced to punt with 2:40 left in the game. In a last desparate attempt to salvage a championship, the whole St. X. line poured in on the Viking punter. Big Maurice Moorman blocked the punt. Bill Smith picked up the ball and sloshed into the end zone. Dave Arnett's placement was perfect...St. X. - State Champs of 1962! :dancingpa

I'm with you, Xtiger69! :thumb:

On a cold, drizzly, nasty day, things were not going too well for the Tigers. All-State RB, Dicky Lyons, got a broken arm, and All-State QB, Denny Obst, got a separated shoulder in the first half of the ballgame. Neither team was having much success moving the ball until late in the 3rd quarter, when Valley's QB skirted 20 yards around left end for the TD. Valley's placement in the slop was no good and the score was Valley 6 - St. X. 0. The score remained this way until Valley was forced to punt with 2:40 left in the game. In a last desparate attempt to salvage a championship, the whole St. X. line poured in on the Viking punter. Big Maurice Moorman blocked the punt. Bill Smith picked up the ball and sloshed into the end zone. Dave Arnett's placement was perfect...St. X. - State Champs of 1962! :dancingpa

Billy was just recounting that very game to me a couple of months ago. Ox, that must have been quite a Valley team to keep the score close against a very good X team that had lost only to Cincy Elder in a close game. Who were some of the players on that Valley team?

The 1968 Trinity - Male game. Male the big pre season favorite. Trinity had never beaten Male. In the four previous seasons, a 21-0 loss was the closest Trinity had come. Trinity was held scoreless against Male during that four year stretch. I don't think Trinity had EVER won a game at Manual Stadium. Trinity won 14-0 for the City title and was on the way to State Title number 1.

By the way, I think Trinity's next loss to Male was 1995.

Good memory. Another interesting aspect of the pre-1968 rivalry was that T had tied H 0-0, and lost 4 games by a seven points or less.

BTW, was that the Hennessey/Riddle team?