Rate the 16th region for next year.

Hey just interested in what we think the 16th region will be like next year. I have heard some of the traditional powerhouses will be considerably down next year. And who will be taking their spots at the top? And who will be the surprise teams next year? Any and all opinions appreciated.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are my picks in rank order (for what its worth):

1) East Carter- good inside game, talented youth, good system

2) Rowan Co.- great pressure defense, 4 returning starters, Thomas returns?

3) Ashland- return 4 starters, good shooters, more inside presence in 2008

4) Morgan Co.- Eagle, team oriented, hungry, inside game is suspect

5) Russell- good tradition, can it continue without Okoro and Fortman?

6) Fleming Co.- very aggressive, will miss Keeley, getting adjusted to 16th region

7) Raceland- depends on Vanderhoof’s recovery

8) West Carter- mass senior exodus, Stevens and Cox must carry load

9) Lewis Co.- nucleus of team returns, very good guards, good home-court advantage.

10) Elliot Co.- must continue improving, majority of scoring returns

11) Boyd Co.- lose 4 seniors from sub .500 team.

12) Menifee Co.- Williams returns and must carry offense

13) Greenup Co.- Keeton faces uphill battle with Sexton and Gibson gone.

14) Fairview- showed improvement at the end of season but has long way to go.

15) Bath Co.- could be in for another rough season.

16) Rose Hill - how will Euton adjust to losing the big 3?

If Rowan's Troy Thomas returns next season, I will have to say they will definitely be in the hunt. Rowan will have really good guards for next season with their pressure defense. Coach Thomas will get it done!

Old Veteran, I agree that Troy Lee Thomas is the best defensive coach in the region. If he doesn't return, how far do you have Rowan falling in the pecking order (if at all)? Also how do you see the other teams faring in the 16th? Any darkhorses that could make a run for the regional title?

Ashland and East Carter will be good next year. I think Raceland will be good with Vanderhoof back and the big girl. Don't kid yourself about Coach Kidwell of Russell, though he lost I believe 3 players from this season. If Thomas leaves I think it could really hurt Rowan County next season just because of his drive and energy that he feeds to his players. Assistant coach, Ronnie Cornett, told me that Coach Thomas is a man obsessed when they practice everyday. He said his energy level is something to see. Dives on the floor to show a drill, will take a charge to show a drill, and will even run with his girls when they have to do sprints. WOW!!! I've witnessed about 10 of his practices over the 3 years and not one time did his team do any shooting. I can understand why they are a "bad shooting team" Ha! But whoever comes in I can guarentee his team won't practice defense the way his has done at Rowan County. It could be a person who is offensivley minded which is good because I know you have to score to win. Coach Thomas' philosophy has always been if a team scores 2 points and he scores 3 points they are supposed to win. I think Ashland, East Carter, Raceland, Russell, Morgan County, and Fleming County will be good as well next season.

Here are my picks in rank order (for what its worth):

1) East Carter- good inside game, talented youth, good system

2) Rowan Co.- great pressure defense, 4 returning starters, Thomas returns?

3) Ashland- return 4 starters, good shooters, more inside presence in 2008

4) Morgan Co.- Eagle, team oriented, hungry, inside game is suspect

5) Russell- good tradition, can it continue without Okoro and Fortman?

6) Fleming Co.- very aggressive, will miss Keeley, getting adjusted to 16th region

7) Raceland- depends on Vanderhoof’s recovery

8) West Carter- mass senior exodus, Stevens and Cox must carry load

9) Lewis Co.- nucleus of team returns, very good guards, good home-court advantage.

10) Elliot Co.- must continue improving, majority of scoring returns

11) Boyd Co.- lose 4 seniors from sub .500 team.

12) Menifee Co.- Williams returns and must carry offense

13) Greenup Co.- Keeton faces uphill battle with Sexton and Gibson gone.

14) Fairview- showed improvement at the end of season but has long way to go.

15) Bath Co.- could be in for another rough season.

16) Rose Hill - how will Euton adjust to losing the big 3?

Oh boy, Intentional Foul, now you done it. Be prepared to be ripped apart by the Rose Hill faithful. Couldn't you have least put them 15th instead of dead last?:D

Oh boy, Intentional Foul, now you done it. Be prepared to be ripped apart by the Rose Hill faithful. Couldn't you have least put them 15th instead of dead last?:D

They maybe last but not dead. The girls that are returning will play the full 32mins. I wouldn't place them in the top 10 but I also think that they will beat some 16th Region teams.

Now, 3ptshooter, Rose Hillers aren't that sensitive. As you know, small schools (particularly the smallest of schools to successfully compete) operate, at best, in cycles. You don't have the student base to produce a highly competitive team every year. Rose Hill just finished a most successful three year run which includes the accumulation of a goodly amount of hardware and considerable statewide recognition for its program and for its girls.

Now, it is time to rebuild with a group of promising youngsters. Are there any Terrys or Queens in the wings? Probably not. But, throughout history, there have been very few Terrys or Queens in this region. There will certainly not be any for the next few years anywhere in this area. Nonetheless, there is potential for a good future for Rose Hill and, at a small school, that is all you can expect.

Of course, it will make scheduling of games much easier for Coach Euton since our "good neighbors" will, unlike the last two years, find open dates to play the young Lady Royals.

All in all, you can count on two facts. First, the fans who have followed the girls in the past will continue to follow them. Second, a portion of its "good neighbors" will still resent Rose Hill. :cool: :thumb:

The girls that will be playing varsity for Rose Hill will be very young but I gaurantee they will play hard for 32 minutes and they will never give up. The players on this team know they are going to be smaller and outsized all year but they will have no fear, they will show up every game and give all they have. Give these girls a couple of years and they will be back on top.

With Rose Hill voting to seed the district Ashland will playing Rose Hill 2 times next season . Boyd County and Fairview also have Rose hill 2 times next season. With Rose Hill being a little down next season some teams might jump on them for a easy win. I know one team that is not playing Rose Hill next season and that is Russell.