Football Coaches That Care

Ram

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Excuses are a poor patch on the garment of failure."

Legendary coach Bob Lewis reiterated that (more than once) to me and my boys in the falls of 1979 and 1980 at Conner. Its stuck with me and I can tell you that my kids are tired of hearing it.

Geez, you're old...:p

Coach Tom Larkey: Pushed me to work harder and to get the most out of my abilities. He helped me accomplish things I never thought I could accomplish in a sport he MADE me participate in. It helped me pay for college and to compete against some of the best in the world. He also taught me to fight for what I believed in and what was right and NEVER make excuses. That is why he took a laughing stock program and made it into a consistent contender. He is a winner and my personal favorite coach of all time.

Coach Inman Sherman: Taught me that you smile at almost anything and enjoy life to the fullest.

Coach Glenn Polly: Taught me that you could yell at a player one minute and hug him the next. He also advised me after a TD dance I did that I was the worst dancer he had ever seen and to never do that again!

I have heard AMAZING things about coach Polly and Larkey. I'm sure you would say the same about Tony Saylor if was your coach instead of a teammate. hahaha

So many coaches have impacted me and my children over the years.

HIGH SCHOOL

Coach Tom Larkey: Pushed me to work harder and to get the most out of my abilities. He helped me accomplish things I never thought I could accomplish in a sport he MADE me participate in. It helped me pay for college and to compete against some of the best in the world. He also taught me to fight for what I believed in and what was right and NEVER make excuses. That is why he took a laughing stock program and made it into a consistent contender. He is a winner and my personal favorite coach of all time.

Coach Inman Sherman: Taught me that you smile at almost anything and enjoy life to the fullest.

Coach Glenn Polly: Taught me that you could yell at a player one minute and hug him the next. He also advised me after a TD dance I did that I was the worst dancer he had ever seen and to never do that again!

Coach Greg Duncum: A relative of mine played for Duncum so what I learned from him was from indirect experience. His love for the game and sense of humor made practices more enjoyable, even when he was yelling at them and consequently, he won at a place where others had failed.

Coaches Dusty Carloftis & Harold Robinson: A relative of mine played for him as well. I saw them care about the kids as people more than just as players. Consequently, they also win. I don't think it is by accident!

Coach Bill Pruitt: My favorite little league football coach taught me that the only size that mattered on a football field was the size of your heart.

COLLEGE

Coach Wayne Perry: That you can keep your soul intact, treat people right, remain ageless (the man still looks the same as he did the first time I met him 24 years ago), and that family is more important than money. he also taught me that if you have faith in someone and they KNOW it, they may surprise even you with what they accomplish. He could also find the good in almost any situation, when others may not see it.

Coach Mike McClure: You can have a great sense of humor and still be an intense competitor on the field of battle.

I would have to agree wth you on that about Coach Larkey but I have to say him and Coach Tony Saylor make a great team coaching together and making the Rockets stand out and have many winning seasons!!!

Coach Mike Meighan (At the D): Make the most of the moment. Be quiet and study. Everything doesn't always go as planned, so have a few alternatives. Slice and Dice! Go Dogs!

What? Is that a string of random thoughts?

The countless coaches who work for their programs on a volunteer basis. The people who work for free and often buy things for their team with monry from their own pocket. Every program has those people who are their for love of the school and the kids on the team. Hats off to them.

The countless coaches who work for their programs on a volunteer basis. The people who work for free and often buy things for their team with monry from their own pocket. Every program has those people who are their for love of the school and the kids on the team. Hats off to them.

Excellent post, Zeus. Love that helmet!

Of Course being biased here Jay Cobb has taught me a lot of lessons. He is probably the smartest man I have ever been around. He treats every practice I believe as a lesson in life. He some how always relates something on the field to something in life. i think i am a better man because of him. I have also seen him take players that have come in with nothing and could just blow off education. Graduate from high school and even college. He turns young boys into responsible men. I respect him more then any coach in the country.