Football Coaches That Care

Ram

Coach Buchanan is one of the best high school coaches around and would walk through fire for his players. He teaches his players to be men of moral character and to always stand up for what is right. I have witnessed Coach Buchanan standing up for what is right and the truth many times no matter what the opposition is. Coach Buchanan is affecting the lives of his players by action as well as what he preaches. In this day and age where many educators and coaches abuse their power and use it for there own means Coach Buchanan walks the higher path. Thanks, Coach:thumb:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From a player I would think that you may get different answers then from a parent. I can tell you as a parent 2 coaches stand out in my mind. First Bart Bredar, Asst Coach at Mercer. He taught my son control, integrity and the ability to never stop reaching for dreams. Even after graduation that hasn't stopped. He saw something in my son others failed to see and then made him grow into this.

Lastly Marty Jaggers at Mercer comes to mind. My son only had him for one year but in that one year he gave him confidence and the chance to prove himself. As a parent I will never forget that during a play-off game of his senior year he had a torn ACL and was unable to play in the last 6 games. Marty had him dress for the game that became the last. He set up a play so he could run in his last touchdown of his high school career. There are not many coaches at that moment in time would have been thinking about something such as this and what it would mean to this kid and his family. He allowed Brandon Scheller to go out with dignity. Now that's caring. As a family we will never forget this act of caring.

This is kinda cool deal for me because I was a prodical kid who knew everything about everything....I thought..lol.

Coach Jody Gluck and Coach John Brewer at Cumberland Elementary taught fundamentals like no one could ever believe. In '74-75 they teamed up and the end result of those fundamentals was a State Runner up team in '82 in a little town called Cumberland. Oh yeah in '83 they were State Runner Up again. Did I mention they were also state runner up in 86. Guys like this are hard to find.

In high school years Coach Tim Saylor took the building blocks these guys started, made us believe in our ability, introduced one of the first prostyle offenses, along with an incredible Larry Phillips defense and Cumberland was suddenly on the map. Just ask Beechwood! In 86 Ron Cain and crew got It done.

But one of the best inspirations of life came from a fellow from Wayne Co. named Danny Upchurch. He taught me that I could overcome being the prodical one on my terms, not only in football but in life. What a lesson!

Coach Buchanan is one of the best high school coaches around and would walk through fire for his players. He teaches his players to be men of moral character and to always stand up for what is right. I have witnessed Coach Buchanan standing up for what is right and the truth many times no matter what the opposition is. Coach Buchanan is affecting the lives of his players by action as well as what he preaches. In this day and age where many educators and coaches abuse their power and use it for there own means Coach Buchanan walks the higher path. Thanks, Coach:thumb:

I think this past Super Bowl (with Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy) highlighted the role of a coach with character. Also, the movie "Facing the Giants" really puts the role of a coach in focus. It is an opportunity to influence young men, through the game of football, and teach them lessons that will hopefully stick with them throughout life. David Buchanon strikes me as such a coach. If you think about the big picture, not many people are even going to remember who won a championship in a certain year. However, the moral character, role modeling, and positive influence a coach has on a young man's life will matter forever.

I think this past Super Bowl (with Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy) highlighted the role of a coach with character. Also, the movie "Facing the Giants" really puts the role of a coach in focus. It is an opportunity to influence young men, through the game of football, and teach them lessons that will hopefully stick with them throughout life. David Buchanon strikes me as such a coach. If you think about the big picture, not many people are even going to remember who won a championship in a certain year. However, the moral character, role modeling, and positive influence a coach has on a young man's life will matter forever.

I do not personally know Coach Buchanon, so I can not attest to his personality, but the rest of your post is very true. Great post.:thumb: