2 Sport Athlete

One sport that high school basketball players overlook, in my opinion, is track and field. Track is a wonderful opportunity for basketball players to gain speed and quickness. However, with the year-round emphasis on basketball, there tend to be fewer multiple-sport athletes than in the past.

Great post!! Many people overlook the benefits track provides to almost all sports. Not only is there speed and quickness but the conditioning that is gained as well.

As to the topic of this thread--let her play what she wants to. I look at it like this--is she going to play a sport in college? If not, then why bother her. And if she is, is there some things that she can learn from basketball that she can apply to her second sport?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rachael King from Pendleton has been a three sport athlete all 4 years and is ranked 10 in her class, she was named all district and region in volleyball and all district in softball and has been the leading rebounder for the Ladycats 2 years in a row, she worked hard in sports and it carries over to the classroom.

She also has recieved many art awards.

My daughter lettered in 3 sports last year at a 6A high school. Her sports include volleyball, softball, and basketball. During that time she has also maintained 3.5 and been involved in community activities. Since I do not think she will ever make a living in the WNBA I am glad she has had an opportunity to participate in each sport.

My Daughter plays basketball, soccer, softball, gymnastics, and is considering

track next year when she gets into Middle School. Her choice, but next

year will have to drop a sport or two because of conflicting schedules.

1 million miles of driving, but well worth it. She's good at all of them. IMO any

kid can be great players in two sports, but they need to play them year round

to be competitive, or play beyond High School. I ran into a guy saturday

whose girl plays 10u softball in Louisville, they've had 46 practices already

this year.

That sounds a bit overboard to me at that young of an age.

As far as the thread goes, just allow her to make the decision, and get the most out of some of the best years of her youth.

My daughter is a 3 sport athlete. She plays basketball, soccer, and softball and is playing AAU basketball as well this year. She's also maintained a 4.0 her entire life. We know many kids that are multiple sport athletes. They're all doing just fine.

The biggest problem in girls sports and boys, baseball and basketball is no one lifts weights or spends time developing speed and strength, so kids end up burnt out, weak, or injured. They play 100 games over the summer, when do they have time to recover and build up their bodies.

At Thomas More College, Jenna Kelsch is the starting point guard and either the starting 2B or SS for the fast pitch team.

Last week after the basketball team lost in the first round of the national tournament to Calvin College, she took a flight to California to be with the softball team.

One sport that high school basketball players overlook, in my opinion, is track and field. Track is a wonderful opportunity for basketball players to gain speed and quickness. However, with the year-round emphasis on basketball, there tend to be fewer multiple-sport athletes than in the past.

I think it is soccer. Soccer is nothing but footwork and developing quick feet.

That is the basis of almost ALL OTHER SPORTS.

Quick footwork for defense in basketball, post moves and driving to the basket.

Quick footwork for defense and baserunning in baseball/softball.

Quick footwork in covering the floor or going for a spike in volleyball.

Quick footwork on the o-line/d-line or for a running back getting through the hole in football.

Tennis is so much dependent of footwork.

I think soccer especially at the younger level (elementary) is a great benefit to athletes.