2 Sport Athlete

A lot of smaller colleges are looking for girls who can play more than one sport. I like the poster who said multiple sport athletes learn to manage their time and schedule to keep up their grades. I say let kids participate in all that they can. They are only young once.

I agree with this post and please don't overlook this post.

Smaller colleges need to spend their money wisely. Let's say it cost $10,000 for you child to attend NCAA DIII or NAIA school. If they get an academic scholarship totaling $5,000, then the the cost to the program is cut in half.

Then the soccer coach is willing to give $2,000 out of their scholarship money and now your child only costs the basketball coach $3,000 for a player.

Where another athlete that has similiar size, stats and talent but no academic scholarships or soccer scholarship costs $10,000.

So the coach can get your child for $3,000 and have $7,000 to try and land a 2nd or 3rd player that is in the same boat as your child.

Theoretically, the coach can come out with 3 players (including your child) in the same boat as your child for the cost of one that has nothing academically or through other sports.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is soccer. Soccer is nothing but footwork and developing quick feet.

That is the basis of almost ALL OTHER SPORTS.

Quick footwork for defense in basketball, post moves and driving to the basket.

Quick footwork for defense and baserunning in baseball/softball.

Quick footwork in covering the floor or going for a spike in volleyball.

Quick footwork on the o-line/d-line or for a running back getting through the hole in football.

Tennis is so much dependent of footwork.

I think soccer especially at the younger level (elementary) is a great benefit to athletes.

Soccer has been a huge benefit to my daughter as a 2 sport athlete...basketball is her 2nd sport & the sport she focuses the most energy on. The skills she takes from soccer translate directly for her, including plays. She also (as someone mentioned in a post) works on weight training & a lot of core work (exercises) for strength. She does want to go into the physical therapy field, so all of this stuff for her makes absolute sense when it doesn't to some of her peers. It has always been her decision with the understanding her schoolwork does not suffer.

Soccer has been a huge benefit to my daughter as a 2 sport athlete...basketball is her 2nd sport & the sport she focuses the most energy on. The skills she takes from soccer translate directly for her, including plays. She also (as someone mentioned in a post) works on weight training & a lot of core work (exercises) for strength. She does want to go into the physical therapy field, so all of this stuff for her makes absolute sense when it doesn't to some of her peers. It has always been her decision with the understanding her schoolwork does not suffer.

Soccer is more closely tied to basketball in strategy than most people realize.

Basic play in soccer is give and go. A play that has been ran in basketball since the peach hoop was put up.

Also, in soccer a lot of times the strategy to attack is to get the defense to commit to a side and then switch fields by crossing the ball and while the defense is moving, attack the goal.

In basketball, to attack a defense especially a zone, you get the ball on one side and get the defense to commit. You quickly reverse the ball and attack the defense while they are in transition.