2 Sport Athlete

Can a high school girl be successful at basketball while still playing another sport. My daughter plays another sport in addition to basketball. She is probably better at the other sport then basketball. On more than one occassion, I have suggested to her that maybe she should try to focus on one or the other. However, she says she enjoys playing both. Can she succeed in either sport by playing more than one sport in high school? Any thoughts?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can a high school girl be successful at basketball while still playing another sport. My daughter plays another sport in addition to basketball. She is probably better at the other sport then basketball. On more than one occassion, I have suggested to her that maybe she should try to focus on one or the other. However, she says she enjoys playing both. Can she succeed in either sport by playing more than one sport in high school? Any thoughts?

I think it should be her decision. IMO she is just a teenager, and in high school and should have fun with it.

One sport that high school basketball players overlook, in my opinion, is track and field. Track is a wonderful opportunity for basketball players to gain speed and quickness. However, with the year-round emphasis on basketball, there tend to be fewer multiple-sport athletes than in the past.

Yes! My daughter is a very successful 2 sport athlete at a mid-sized high school (1100). She in fact played high school varsity basketball as an 8th grader as well as high school JV soccer as an 8th grader. She is an A student & very happy doing exactly what she is doing with a very busy sports schedule, including AAU basketball. The rule has always been that she had to maintain her grades...it has taught her to be organized, stay on task & to utilize her time well. All valuable skills including those learned in the midst of competition and a team environment.

My Daughter plays basketball, soccer, softball, gymnastics, and is considering

track next year when she gets into Middle School. Her choice, but next

year will have to drop a sport or two because of conflicting schedules.

1 million miles of driving, but well worth it. She's good at all of them. IMO any

kid can be great players in two sports, but they need to play them year round

to be competitive, or play beyond High School. I ran into a guy saturday

whose girl plays 10u softball in Louisville, they've had 46 practices already

this year.

I think it is good to have girls in more than one sport..My Daughter plays Volleyball and Basketball..she favors Basketball but it a very talented V-ball player. This year she has added Track to her resume.

Keep them busy and as long as they are having fun then let them participate.

As a parent of seniors whose H.S. basketball careers just ended, I can say that looking back it has been a wonderful experience and taught mine many life lessons, one of which is self-discipline ((i.e. scheduling homework around practice). This alone will help them with life at Transy.

Haley Ratliff from Pike Central has scored over 2600 points in her high school basketball career. She was selected to play on a traveling team with 26 of the top volleyball players on a trip to Hawaii. She has qualified for State in the 100 meter dash in track and she plays SS and bats lead-off for the Lady Hawk softball team. If she wants to play, let her play. By keeping her from playing you will make her resent the sports she does play. Maybe not now, but at some point in the near future.

Allow your daughter to play both sports. Here is my thinking. If you think your daughter may get a scholarship, stop and take a look at some of the better players in your region over the past few years. See were they went and what type of assistance they received. Many of the girls went to private Division III or NAIA schools. They received assistance (but not a full ride), and the amount you have to pay is close to equal of what you would pay at a state supported school. They get to play, which a great experience and maybe their school of choice is a great academic school, but you are not saving much money.