Bilas Calling Out The RPI

gametime

I'm not blaming the teams as much as I blame the NCAA. They preach equity and want schools to become financially sufficient, then leave them out come selection Sunday because they prefer a major conference school who plays in a conference with a big TV contract that gives them even more money.

I think SIU has garnered some respect over the past decade yet I don't see major conference schools making the trip to Carbondale. How many majors play at Gonzaga each year? If a major team wants to schedule their games at home and avoid Carbondale and Gonzaga, then so be it. But come selection Sunday, I would much rather see the NCAA reward a program like Appy State who has played at Clemson, Virginia, Vandy, and Virginia Commonwealth as opposed to a major conference team that doesn't stray much from home.

When you play in a major conference those road games are built in...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When you play in a major conference those road games are built in...
Exactly. Clemson is 19-9 and barely played away from home. They are 5-9 in the conference and really don't have that signature win. Yet somehow they have a 42 RPI and Appy State is 56, despite wins AT Virginia and Vanderbilt. It's one of the reasons why the NCAA hypes the RPI so much because it gives them something to fall back on when they snub the Appy States and Winthrops when doling out at large bids.

Fun in theory, but how do you project this GaTech team in Appy State's conference? Think Memphis in CUSA. Can you really penalize a team for being "big time"? UC beat Temple and X in the A-10 yet can't win in the Big East. I'd have X and Temple above Appy State right now. UC beat NC State and WVU as well. Think they'd be worse than 25-4 in that conference? It's a sliding scale, and you can't let teams in with no real quality wins...

Appalachain State has wins over Virginia and Vanderbilt.....

Jay Bilas and Clark Kellogg to me are the 2 opinions I usually agree with the most. I think the RPI and the AP/Coaches polls are both a little off. Take a team like Kentucky. UK is obviously not a top 10 team. But you take most teams in the bottom 1/2 of the top 25 team and let UK play their schedules and UK is probably top 20 team.

Teams in the bottom half of the Top 25 have generally beaten other Top 25 teams...

I think if UK would have played say, Air Force's schedule then UK would have the same or a better record and be ranked up there. If UK was 24-5 right now and not played say UNC and Memphis and played in a weaker conference UK would be up there. And UK would be fairly untested with a ranking atleast around 15. But as it stands UK has been tested hard by a lot of good teams. UK has competed well all year, but hasnt gotten over the hump yet.

But you take most teams in the bottom 1/2 of the top 25 team and let UK play their schedules and UK is probably top 20 team.

Like Vandy?

Lets see.. Tennessee isn't ranked and we split with them. UGA isn't ranked and we split with them. Bama isn't ranked and we lost to them.

UK is in NO way deserving of ANY ranking.

Like Vandy?

Lets see.. Tennessee isn't ranked and we split with them. UGA isn't ranked and we split with them. Bama isn't ranked and we lost to them.

UK is in NO way deserving of ANY ranking.

That is not my point. What I am saying is that if we had an easier schedule we could have hid our shortcomings better and would be a higher ranked team because of it.