Bilas Calling Out The RPI

gametime

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was watching this too, and I was about to post about it. Jay Bilas has definitely become one of my favorites to listen to when it comes to college basketball...

The guy flat out knows the game. LOVE when he is on doing these type segments...

I think the RPI is the NCAA's excuse for still giving the major conferences the most bids in the wake of recent mid majors like SIU and George Mason making advances in the tournament. RPI is why there is a possibility that two Southern Conference teams with 25+ wins could be left at home if neither wins their conference tournament.

I think the RPI is the NCAA's excuse for still giving the major conferences the most bids in the wake of recent mid majors like SIU and George Mason making advances in the tournament. RPI is why there is a possibility that two Southern Conference teams with 25+ wins could be left at home if neither wins their conference tournament.

Knowing how it is used, I can buy that. I just wish people would get away from looking at individual rankings and see it for what it is. UK is near the top because they dominate the 50-100 win range with great efficiency. When I look at Michigan I see similar records, but more teams outside the RPI top 100 on the resume. Top 25, 50 and last 10 look a lot alike. And Michigan is considered out even after beating MSU tonight.

It's a strange year in predicting the dance and RPI gives very little clue in to the process...

I guess I'm the soapboxer for the little guy, but I'd rather see a 25-4 Appalachian State team make the field of 64 than a 19-12 Georgia Tech team. If the NCAA is about an equal playing field and making things equitable at the D-1 level, then give some deserving mid-majors a chance to make the field, get some exposure, and collect some of the tournament dough instead of the same retreads from the majors.

I guess I'm the soapboxer for the little guy, but I'd rather see a 25-4 Appalachian State team make the field of 64 than a 19-12 Georgia Tech team. If the NCAA is about an equal playing field and making things equitable at the D-1 level, then give some deserving mid-majors a chance to make the field, get some exposure, and collect some of the tournament dough instead of the same retreads from the majors.

Fun in theory, but how do you project this GaTech team in Appy State's conference? Think Memphis in CUSA. Can you really penalize a team for being "big time"? UC beat Temple and X in the A-10 yet can't win in the Big East. I'd have X and Temple above Appy State right now. UC beat NC State and WVU as well. Think they'd be worse than 25-4 in that conference? It's a sliding scale, and you can't let teams in with no real quality wins...

I think back to Ohio U. when they had Gary Trent. No one would schedule them (except UK) at their place. If Ohio U wanted to get that big win, they would have to do it on the road at a major conference. It's a sliding and unfair scale that favors the major conferences. How many big name schools visit Carbondale or Wichita or Butler? If they want a shot at a big win, they have to accept an invitation to a preseason-type tournament and play them on a neutral floor or go to their house. Georgia Tech may have a quality win or two, but Appy State has wins at BOTH Vanderbilt and Virginia -- two very tough venues.

If Ohio U wanted to get that big win, they would have to do it on the road at a major conference. It's a sliding and unfair scale that favors the major conferences. How many big name schools visit Carbondale or Wichita or Butler? If they want a shot at a big win, they have to accept an invitation to a preseason-type tournament and play them on a neutral floor or go to their house. Georgia Tech may have a quality win or two, but Appy State has wins at BOTH Vanderbilt and Virginia -- two very tough venues.

Respect isn't a gift. The PROGRAM must earn it. If I can schedule games at home, why wouldn't I? If I'm an elite team and have plenty of teams who circle their calendar when we're playing, why shouldn't I use the leverage that I've earned? Don't blame the big dogs, blame the guys who continue to schedule road games.

Respect isn't a gift. The PROGRAM must earn it. If I can schedule games at home, why wouldn't I? If I'm an elite team and have plenty of teams who circle their calendar when we're playing, why shouldn't I use the leverage that I've earned? Don't blame the big dogs, blame the guys who continue to schedule road games.
I'm not blaming the teams as much as I blame the NCAA. They preach equity and want schools to become financially sufficient, then leave them out come selection Sunday because they prefer a major conference school who plays in a conference with a big TV contract that gives them even more money.

I think SIU has garnered some respect over the past decade yet I don't see major conference schools making the trip to Carbondale. How many majors play at Gonzaga each year? If a major team wants to schedule their games at home and avoid Carbondale and Gonzaga, then so be it. But come selection Sunday, I would much rather see the NCAA reward a program like Appy State who has played at Clemson, Virginia, Vandy, and Virginia Commonwealth as opposed to a major conference team that doesn't stray much from home.