UK 1995-1996

UNDERTHEBRIDGE

This Florida team is nowhere in the same class as the 1995-1996 UK team. That team only lost two games, only one SEC game and I think that was in the tournament to Miss. State and had 5 or 6 first round NBA picks and at least 9 players who spent some time in the NBA. That team has to be the best college team in the last 20 years and other than the UNC team that won the title with Jordan and Perkins the best team in the last 25 years. The UNLV team that won the championship I would rank second in the last 20 years and the back to back Duke team I have third.

:thumb: :thumb: Absolutely.................Great Post, I agree 100%. That U.K. team I said was in the top 5 all time. The Florida team mentioned should be Nowhere in the discussion of greates teams. Maybe greatest Florida team, thats all. JMO

This Florida team is nowhere in the same class as the 1995-1996 UK team. That team only lost two games, only one SEC game and I think that was in the tournament to Miss. State and had 5 or 6 first round NBA picks and at least 9 players who spent some time in the NBA. That team has to be the best college team in the last 20 years and other than the UNC team that won the title with Jordan and Perkins the best team in the last 25 years. The UNLV team that won the championship I would rank second in the last 20 years and the back to back Duke team I have third.

I wasn't comparing the two, the announcer was. And he even admitted that UK's team had a lot more depth.

The 1996 championship team was one of the best I have ever seen in college, plain and simple. We may never see a season like that at any school with any sort of SOS with the current parity and changes in college hoops in the past decade.

UMass was just as good that very same year

UMass was just as good that very same year

UMass played a good game against UK who was mixing in some new ingredients early in the year and beat the Cats. However, later in the year UK took the game and the title. If UK and UMass played 10 times that year UK would have won 8 out of 10. UMass was not nearly as good as UK. Period.

March 2, 1996 -- With a 101-63 victory over Vanderbilt in Rupp Arena on Senior Day, UK became the first team in 40 years to finish with a perfect record in the SEC, a 16-0 sweep. It was the Wildcats' 25th win in a row, tying the school record for consecutive wins in a season set in 1966. Two games later, they set the new record at 27 games.

April 1,1996 -- After avenging an early season loss to UMass with a win in the NCAA semifinals two days before, UK squashed a late Syracuse rally to win its sixth national title, 76-67.

May 20, 1996 -- The championship squad made an official visit to the White House at the invitation of President Bill Clinton. Tony Delk and Mark Pope award President Clinton and Vice President Al Gore with official UK jerseys.

http://www.ukathletics.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=37&url_article_id=11209&url_subchannel_id=&change_well_id=2

Read post before yours, I kinda went back on what I said. The team is good but rarely mentioned in the same breath as some of the ones you just mentioned. Where does this team belong among the best?

The 96 UK team, in my opinion, would blow any Duke Blue Devil, or UNLV team out of the water. Too much talent. I still dont understand how they lost to UMASS that season... other then that it was early in the season maybe? But they did end up avenging that loss when it did matter. That team was about as perfect as you can get in my opinion.

Tony Delk

Derek Anderson

Anthony Epps

Ron Mercer

Antonine Walker

Walter McCarty

Mark Pope

Jeff Shepherd

Wayne Turner

Allen Edwards

Cameron Mills

Nazr Mohammed

Definitely an amazing list of talent. There 2nd string was every bit as good as most team's 1st.

Did Mills, Edwards or Epps make it to the NBA? Even if it was for just a day or two. I'm pretty sure the others did.